Impulsively bought £20 worth of Take-away for myself..

Options
Hear me out before you whip me!

I have BPD and sometimes I impulsively buy crap without thinking.. like this £20 worth of takeaway for just MYSELF. It's sickening what I ordered and now have to throw like 80% of it in the bin. This is what I ordered:

2x Large Fries
1x Large Donna Kebab
1x Burger Meal
1x 1.5l Coke
1x Can of Coke (335ml)

-

Out of all of that? I ate the two boxes of fries, drank the 1.5l of coke and the can of coke. The rest is in the fridge at the moment. I just binged because my boyfriend went home today and well.. when he goes I get really low and lonely so I comfort eat. Now I'm paranoid this binge will mess up my weight loss. I'm planning to get rid of whatever's left. I can't give it to the homeless because I have anxiety and can't leave the house. I feel like crap and feel like I've messed up my weight loss. Like I'm a HUGE disappointment.

But I don't want to give up :(

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    umm i did that too on Monday.. except mine was indian i got

4 veggie samosas (one of which i smashed into my piehole on the elevator ride up from the lobby to my apartment :laugh: )
    1 entree lamb curry
    1 entree of a cauliflower/sweet pea dish (forgot the name
    1 veggie biryani
    1 carton of that delicious rice that comes with the entrees.

it ended up being 3 meals worth of food that i ate mon, tues and wednesday of this week.

day 1 it made 650 calories over my goal (which still is 350 below maintenance), day 2 i wasnt over goal, and day 3 i was 81 calories over (still 900 below maintenance).

I weighed myself yesterday and despite impulsively getting the indian and ordering too much of it, i still averaged around a 2 pound a week weight loss.

food is food. once shouldn't be sickened by buying it or eating it. just fit it into your calories and if you do go over some days that's fine too especially if you're already eating at a deficit. once you start looking at food as food and not something shameful or something has a moral value surrounding it (ie i was good because i ate this, or i was bad because i ate that) then you'll no longer be food's biyatch.

good luck and keep logging :drinker:
  • BooAndKitty
    Options
    umm i did that too on Monday.. except mine was indian i got

4 veggie samosas (one of which i smashed into my piehole on the elevator ride up from the lobby to my apartment :laugh: )
    1 entree lamb curry
    1 entree of a cauliflower/sweet pea dish (forgot the name
    1 veggie biryani
    1 carton of that delicious rice that comes with the entrees.

it ended up being 3 meals worth of food that i ate mon, tues and wednesday of this week.

day 1 it made 650 calories over my goal (which still is 350 below maintenance), day 2 i wasnt over goal, and day 3 i was 81 calories over (still 900 below maintenance).

I weighed myself yesterday and despite impulsively getting the indian and ordering too much of it, i still averaged around a 2 pound a week weight loss.

food is food. once shouldn't be sickened by buying it or eating it. just fit it into your calories and if you do go over some days that's fine too especially if you're already eating at a deficit. once you start looking at food as food and not something shameful or something has a moral value surrounding it (ie i was good because i ate this, or i was bad because i ate that) then you'll no longer be food's biyatch.

good luck and keep logging :drinker:

Woo I'm not alone :drinker: lol. How do yo work out the calories of a kebab though lmao xo
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I've done this many, many times and I have no excuse lol, throw whatever's left in the bin, and start a new day as normal, most people fall off the dieting wagon, don't beat yourself up about it x
  • MouseFood
    MouseFood Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Be glad you didn't eat all of it at once ...

If it happens now and then, not every day, it shouldn't ruin your weight loss. If it happens every day or several times a day, that's when you really need to worry about it.

And no one should judge you for your BPD. I have chronic depression and an eating disorder. This is a lot harder for those of us who have more than the usual challenges going on in our heads.

Hang in there. xx
  • BlackPup
    BlackPup Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    You slipped up. That happens, don't beat yourself up over it. The important thing is that you move on from it and get back to eating at a loss. It's a problem when today's slip up leads to months of crappy eating. It's great you can understand why you did what you did so maybe next time you can stop before buying it and realise what you are doing.
    I bought a giant carrot cake for morning tea at playgroup and had so much left over my dinners for the past 3 days have been carrot cake! I know it's different but it's not the most nutritious week I've had ;)
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Lol, when my wife is away I tend to lose all sense/desire to cook, so go for a massive pizza instead. Once every now and then isn't going to kill your progress :)
  • Lemongrab13
    Lemongrab13 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I don't think that's to do with BPD, I do that all the time :laugh:
    Bought 3 servings of garlic naan bread, a huge fish curry and a huge serving of rice.
    And a Oreo ice cream >_>

Still lost 4 1/2 inches this week, though :bigsmile:
    As long as you keep yourself in control the following days you'll be fine.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You need to look at the reasons why you suddenly needed to comfort eat as soon as your boyfriend left, and work on developing coping mechanisms that don't involve food.
  • MouseFood
    MouseFood Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    If you do have an eating disorder, I recommend the app Recovery Record. I just starting using it and it's awesome. :)
  • BooAndKitty
    Options
    If you do have an eating disorder, I recommend the app Recovery Record. I just starting using it and it's awesome. :)

The Dr and Psy think I might do. But won't label me, I have day's where I don't eat at all. Then others where I can eat for england. I can go 2-4 day's without eating due to my mood. </3
  • BooAndKitty
    Options
    You need to look at the reasons why you suddenly needed to comfort eat as soon as your boyfriend left, and work on developing coping mechanisms that don't involve food.

I kinda know the reason, I live alone and its just comfort. Afterwords I'm disgusted in myself, but at the time its impulsive and thats cause of BPD. I hope to start therapy soon, group therapy and my Psy said it'd help.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    It happens, portion and freeze the rest for meals later. No need to waste food. No need to beat yourself up.

Then start to plan a response for the next time. Life happens so there will be a next time- but if you can practice a different response to your stressor then you can start to change the outcome. Wether its coping strategies so you don't order out, or healthier food choices and smaller portions when you do, or planning social /volunteer activities to keep you engaged when BF is gone - keep trying until you find what works for you.
  • BooAndKitty
    Options
    It happens, portion and freeze the rest for meals later. No need to waste food. No need to beat yourself up.

Then start to plan a response for the next time. Life happens so there will be a next time- but if you can practice a different response to your stressor then you can start to change the outcome. Wether its coping strategies so you don't order out, or healthier food choices and smaller portions when you do, or planning social /volunteer activities to keep you engaged when BF is gone - keep trying until you find what works for you.

Thanks, but I dont have pots to put them in? Just foil lol. Also I will find way's of coping eventually :( xx
  • 2hobbit1
    Options
    Foil will work just be sure to tape a label on that says what they are so when you need a lunch you know what your grabbing.

I do a lot of take away as well but I plan in advance for three to four meals, kebabs freeze well, as does rice etc. Salads get eaten first since they don't keep, samosas reheat well in the oven, Chinese reheats well in the microwave. It works well for me to order in once or twice a week and not have to cook at all. I tend to save the plastic containers and reuse to freeze portions. Styrofoam and cardboard ones don't work for that so prefer places with reusable containers.
  • BooAndKitty
    Options
    Foil will work just be sure to tape a label on that says what they are so when you need a lunch you know what your grabbing.

I do a lot of take away as well but I plan in advance for three to four meals, kebabs freeze well, as does rice etc. Salads get eaten first since they don't keep, samosas reheat well in the oven, Chinese reheats well in the microwave. It works well for me to order in once or twice a week and not have to cook at all. I tend to save the plastic containers and reuse to freeze portions. Styrofoam and cardboard ones don't work for that so prefer places with reusable containers.

Mine normally come in the foamy ones lol. But yeah I'll sort that out in a second, you got any advice on working out cals? lol x
  • persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I can relate to that. Emotional issues, impulsiveness and an eating disorder are not a great recipe for health. I have been known to order two take aways and go to local shop under cover of darkness in same evening. I often end up throwing most of it out and then retrieving it. Addiction and mental illness are not pretty.
    I also live alone and tend to feel especially bad when boyfriend has just left. I have a long list of diagnosed conditions.
    Bipolar, high functioning aspergers, binge eating disorder, borderline personality disorder, schizotypal personality disorder, dependent and avoidant personality disorders. I avoid most people but become overly emotionally dependent on one person. I also have complicated post traumatic stress which I think is a better label than borderline and i have discocistive identity disorder. I have polycystic ovary syndrome and some sort of chronic fatigue fibromyalgia type thing and dermaillomania.
    Basically I had a very unhappy childhood with parents who were not well.

So yeah you are not alone. Because of Aspergers causing me to have many food and chemical sensitivities I am not able to be on any medication for mood disorders etc. I tried many and all made so I'll doctors agreed it was not worth it. I had 6 months
    counselly with a charity then 6 months of one to one sessions with a psychologist and then more counselling privately. I found it did help to talk things through. I also found reading up about my issues helpful so that I better understand the why and how of them all and have hope of things getting better. I am much better in many ways than I used to. Bipolar, chronic fatigue/fibromyalgia are the outstanding issues I still need to work on most. I am hopeful that the ketogenic food plan I am doing will help with those as well as the eating disorder. This site is very useful for helping to stay motivated. I wish you all the best. Don't give up on yourself. With time and willingness things do improve.
  • 2hobbit1
    Options

Mine normally come in the foamy ones lol. But yeah I'll sort that out in a second, you got any advice on working out cals? lol x

I break it down in portions by weight , or by cups etc. Check out the foods available in the food logs, since I do cook on occasion have a relative feel for how off the mark some the entries are and tend to choose ones on the middle to high side. I look for entries that match the carb and protein content that I measure/weigh. You can always build a meal from foods/amounts in your takeaway.
    I have built meals for my diner breakfast, or kebab and pita lunch, or soup and half sandwich etc. You can use a chain restaurants nutrition data as a guide/estimate of your local takeout.
    Or you can go to recipe sites and find foods you order and use their nutrition as an estimate. You still need to be realistic about portions and I find a small portable food scale and measuring cups to be very important to get to g it as close as you can.

I'm a T1 diabetic and need to dose insulin for the carbs I eat, you can get a very good feel for what your eating by weighing and measuring your food as you work on portion control. You will eventually get to being able to eyeball portions but you need to start with real measurements at first.
    Once you find what's in your favorite meals from your go to places, and build them in you meals, then you can log much easier.