I think my hiking days are over

Options
auntyfred
auntyfred Posts: 63 Member
I think this classes as a success :laugh: .Earlier this year I had said "I think my hiking days are over" How wrong can you get.
In feb I joined mfp.
Last week we went on a walking holiday in Northumberland, Hadrians wall area.

Looking through the photos he took I was sat across the room when this one came on the screen.

http://s47.photobucket.com/user/auntyfred/media/DSCF4754_zps419dd47a.jpg.html

"Is that me near the top?"
"Yes dear" came the reply, "you were like a f'king mountain goat and not even out of breath"

This Granny is now feeling outrageously pleased with herself :bigsmile:

Replies

• Ickypedia
    Ickypedia Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm from the heartland of the most mountainous area of Norway, and hiking up mountains is a bit of a way of life here. If there's one thing that's teached me, it's that you can be quite fit, even if your age is getting up there a bit, and that there are different ways of being fit. I'm 29, and I find that there's plenty of people a few decades older than me who cope with the inclines better than I do. I'd run rings around them on a flat surface, but they do this regularly and are better suited for it than me.

Anyway, good for you! Hiking's an excellent thing. Uneven surfaces help your joints and your back gain strength, and it's a good work-out and you get to take in some wonderful scenery while you're at it. My goal for this summer was originally to get to the top of the biggest mountain in this area (and in this picture, Saudehornet: http://www.westcoastpeaks.com/pics09B/saude230709_01saudehornet.jpg). Not quite fit enough for that, but it's definitely one of the nicer ways to get moving.
  • acfkaren
    acfkaren Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    And you should be outrageously pleased!
  • fitby44
    fitby44 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Excellent! Very inspirational.

When I take a look at how differently my parents have aged, I keep thinking I want to be like my mom who is 67 and hikes and walks everywhere and has never been on medication for a chronic condition. My dad wound up losing limbs and spent the last six months of his life barely able to breathe because of his poor lifestyle choices. Poor guy.

I want to be like my mom and you. Thanks for posting your story.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your hiking days are far from over. Thanks for sharing :flowerforyou:
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Excellent!!

(ETA: not excellent that your hiking days are over, but rather that you are at it!!)
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Love this post. I am in my early 50s and menopause threw me for a loop psychologically and I kept on saying to myself I couldn't do this, I can no longer do that, etc. The fact that fitness has always been a part of my life didn't seem to prevent this. I changed my mind set and my body followed. Maybe someday will pass each other on the trail.
  • christhenix
    christhenix Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Love it! :bigsmile:
  • palomino698
    palomino698 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    This is just fantastic, it's a wonderful photo and you are right to be delighted. Bounding up hills is something most of us don't do enough, if at all!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!