Is there anyone else that feels like this?

Options
Hi, everyone!

I am 6' tall, 345 lbs, large framed and I rarely, if ever, go over my calorie allowance.

I am careful to eat my 5-a-day and I am brilliant at denying treats when I know I am at my calorie limit.

My problem?

Exercise.

I hate it. I hate it so much that I have found myself in tears while I am trying to get myself into it.

I will start to do something, usually circuit training or yoga or speed walking, and within ten minutes I feel so 'thick' and so rundown that I stop. The feeling of exercising to me is akin to depression (which I've experienced in the past) and it feels like I am being crushed by something incredibly heavy. I cannot stand the feel of my skin when it gets hot and sweaty and once I am winded I feel as if I am going to suffocate.

Every hobby I have is sedentary (Knitting, video games, reading, writing...) and I am extremely passionate about them and because of that I'd much, much rather be doing one of them (usually knitting) than getting sweaty and winded and disgusting.

I am not sure if it's something that I just need to find my 'niche' so to speak or if there is something wrong with me? I've tried lots of different things that I have access to... I don't have a gym or any at home equipment. I love swimming, but I have no where to swim either.

Does ANYONE else feel like this? Is there anyone that has overcome it? Please give me advice.

All I get as help from friends is 'just get over it' or 'just do it' and though I get what they are trying to get at when they say it, it's the least helpful crap they could possibly do. There is no 'just' about it.

I am desperate. I WANT to work out, I WANT to be healthy and I am very good at getting up to do it, just not so good at doing any length or intensity.

Replies

• ashleyb34
    ashleyb34 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Have you tried resistance training and a good long walk once a day?? If my excercise was limited to running, jogging, treadmill, eliptical or aerobics I would not be where I am today. I bought myself a bowflex and I love it, I also walk 2+ km a night at a moderate pace walking my 2 dogs. You just have to find some type of activity that you enjoy. Also it does get easier.
  • mumof5
    mumof5 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    im not sure if i can be of any help - i just don't understand as i love love to workout. Maybe you could try 3 10minute sessions to start with - nobody said you had to do 30minutes all together. make one of your loves a reward for working out. Be very strict on yourself - for every 10 minutes you do exercising you get some knitting time?? what about a workout buddy? a dog? don't give up, there must be an exercise that you can enjoy, just keep searching.
  • YorkshirePanda
    YorkshirePanda Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thanks for responding!

I've been on this journey for almost 2 years and I've bounced back and forth on the scale dramatically and I tend to hit plateaus quite easily and am currently the highest weight I've ever been.

I do walk sometimes, but I never feel as if it makes any difference and I've done various circuit training combinations before that probably did help, but very quickly put up that nausea wall.
  • YorkshirePanda
    Options
    Thanks, mumof5 (That's a lot of kids O.O)

I have no one to work out with, sadly, no dog... not even a judgmental cat!

I fear knitting for me is more of a lifestyle than it is a treat. I sell a lot of the things I make so it's necessary for me to do it quite often. I've tried the 10 minutes at a time a few times a day thing, but got no results (did it for a couple of months).

A part of my problem is I don't seem to get results. I am not sure if I am doing it wrong or what, but last year I'd lost 30 lbs and then no matter what I did I never lost another ounce and at that point I was working out consistently.
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I also hate to work out, and I'm not fond of others looking at me when I do. The solution for me was two-fold: a treadmill and a Kindle. The only way I watch TV during the day is on my Kindle while treadmilling. Two episodes of Buffy (or lately, Angel) and I'm done.
  • YorkshirePanda
    Options
    Thanks, Jen!

If I had a treadmill I'd totally put that into play! That's a great idea.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Thanks, mumof5 (That's a lot of kids O.O)

I have no one to work out with, sadly, no dog... not even a judgmental cat!

I fear knitting for me is more of a lifestyle than it is a treat. I sell a lot of the things I make so it's necessary for me to do it quite often. I've tried the 10 minutes at a time a few times a day thing, but got no results (did it for a couple of months).

A part of my problem is I don't seem to get results. I am not sure if I am doing it wrong or what, but last year I'd lost 30 lbs and then no matter what I did I never lost another ounce and at that point I was working out consistently.

When you're ready for the truth, there are a lot of people willing to help you. Your friends that suggested the hard truth of "get over it", and "just do it" is not filled with crap at all. It may sound a lot like they are saying HTFU to you, and in reality they are. And should.

The more you exercise, the less uncomfortable you will feel about it. Your body has to adapt to the effort in the first stages, then you have to increase the duration and or intensity for the next growth phase to take on any form of exercise. It never gets easier. Instead, your body and mind eventually adapt to the effort required for exercise and will allow you to go longer and harder. The truth is, you are going to have to move beyond your current hate of it and realize the amazing potential benefits of a healthier lifestyle that involves calories in vs. calories out. Exercise can increase the calories out portion of the equation - and allow the calories in portion to increase as well once the weight has been shed.

Plenty of truth found here:

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/

In the end, only you can make the choice. But to come on the message board and look for sympathy or empathy regarding the hate of exercise is not going to solve your problem. Only you can solve it. There are amazing posts and stories in the Success Stories section of the message boards. Everyone, at some point, had to face the "I hate exercise", I hate "sweating", I hate the "discomfort" it feels like to exercise and move beyond it to be successful.

The ball is in your court...
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I agree with the advice about taking long walks. They do help. Immensely, actually. My advice would be to exercise for the pure joy of it, not as a means to an end. Looking for results all the time will not help, imo. Go for a walk, feel the air, listen to the sounds and well, just smile. I think you'll find after a while, you'll look forward to it as a little personal time to clear your head.

And, it might be useful to recognize that it is natural for people to want to avoid pain. For more intense workouts, embracing the pain and even welcoming it can be a really eye-opening experience! But the discomfort is why many people stop. And they are missing out on a chance to feel truly alive!

As everyone always points out, weight loss happens in the kitchen, not necessarily from working out.

Good luck!
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Jen!

If I had a treadmill I'd totally put that into play! That's a great idea.

You could just walk in place while reading or watching something. You just need to start slow, doesn't have to be super intense. go slow enough you don't even sweat, start with 5 minutes a day and gradually increase as you become more comfortable with it. baby steps. A little is better than nothing. If you like video games, have you tried any of the Kinect games? I find them so fun that I don't even notice I'm being active til I stop and am drenched with sweat haha
  • YorkshirePanda
    Options
    Uhh, not looking for sympathy OR empathy. I am looking for people that also hate exercise and the way it makes the body feel and have overcome it and thus have wise advice for someone who hasn't yet overcome it. Like Jen above there who had legitimate advice on how to overcome it.

Thanks for your input, Keith! ^^
  • Strongandscrappy
    Strongandscrappy Posts: 1,735 Member
    Options
    I hate cardio. I do it twice a week but I still do not enjoy it. I would much rather lift weights or do body weight exercises. Maybe you can start with that. Then you are not getting super sweaty and out of breath. When you get stronger maybe then you could try to add cardio then. ????
  • YorkshirePanda
    Options
    Hey, Amy! I have Wii Zumba that kicks my butt, haha. I've been away from home for several weeks, though, so I don't have access to it. Looking forward to when I do!

Capri. Even though I never get through a full work out, I alternate between cardio (which I prefer to weight training), weight training and yoga. I do roughly 10 minutes of whatever it is that day.
  • Snowdog999
    Snowdog999 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't much like to exercise either. I find walking is the least hateful thing to do as I live in a beautiful area and I walk around looking at the beautiful homes and gardens and the scenery. But another suggestion I have for you is to simply turn on your favorite music and just dance your little heart out all by yourself in your living room. It feels a lot less like work and more like just plain fun! I am just getting started on my journey and am trying to find ways to rev up the engine too. I think the dancing thing will have to be a big part of my exercise regime as well. Hope that helps and I wish you all the best.
  • YorkshirePanda
    Options
    Glad I'm not the only one, Snow!
    I dance a lot, to get through cleaning and cooking :P. I hope your journey doesn't have any ugly pitfalls or nasty speed bumps!
  • Knikels
    Knikels Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same way, I think the more you do it the easier it gets unfortunately. I agree with everyone's sentiment on taking it slow :) Music helps a great deal, usually something along the lines of Final Fantasy or some epic music(since I'm a gamer as well haha) I've also seen people in the gym who will read while doing cardio on the stationary bikes, I suppose in theory if you had a portable gaming system like a DS, Vita etc that could work as well. Dance Dance revolution was something I played a lot of too hehe. Good luck!!
  • aurorareigns
    Options
    I don't like exercise.

I don't know if you have a dog, but I take my dogs for a run so that I'm getting exercise but I'm not thinking about it - I'm just thinking about how they're happy :)
  • Yoshirio
    Yoshirio Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I have a judgmental cat you can have! >.>

Anyway, I hate exercise too,I still do it three times a week .but I hate it. (strength training and boring cardio machines) I do love going for walks though,so that is pretty much my main source of exercise daily. I guess you just have to find something you enjoy.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

I am 6' tall, 345 lbs, large framed and I rarely, if ever, go over my calorie allowance.

I am careful to eat my 5-a-day and I am brilliant at denying treats when I know I am at my calorie limit.

My problem?

Exercise.

I've been on this journey for almost 2 years and I've bounced back and forth on the scale dramatically and I tend to hit plateaus quite easily and am currently the highest weight I've ever been.

Here's what I take from what you've said. You've been working at this for 2 years, and your weight has gone up. You do realize that baring a medical condition, all you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit, right? If your calorie allowance is set for a deficit, and you're not going over it, you should be losing weight.

You don't need to exercise to lose weight. You simply need to eat at a deficit.

That said... I'm a huge advocate of exercise. For many reasons. I didn't start exercising when I first decided to lose weight, because, I didn't feel like it. I wasn't motivated, or ready, or whatever. After I lost some weight, I slowly started just a tiny bit of cardio, and progressed from there.

So, my point is. *kitten* the exercise. You don't like it, and you've tried to get motivated, and you aren't getting into it. If you could swim, you would, but you can't . So, *kitten* it. For now. Concentrate on eating at that deficit, and losing some weight. Set a goal. Say, when you're down 20 lbs, you'll revisit the idea of exercise, and try something. Still feel the same way? Another 20 lbs, try again. And set a firm goal, when you hit a certain weight, you WILL start exercising regularly.

TL;DR = If you don't like exercising, don't do it.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*edited to correct English*
  • prettigirl01
    prettigirl01 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I hate exercise because im just too lazy to do it. I don't like the feeling of being sweaty all over. its just disgusting to me. people who workout 5 days a week with no problems cant relate because working out is easy for them but for us its not that's why sometimes I feel like I cant talk to those people because now that they are where they want to be they talk down on me. tell me im making excuses, etc. yes I want the truth, yes I want to be healthy but until I can get there nobody knows what im going through but I understand what you mean. now I walk 30-40 mins a day. I take stairs instead of elevators or escalators. it takes time to get there but once you figure it out YOU WILL GET THERE! don't worry about those friends that aren't supportive of you. show them that you can do this. just start off with small steps. feel free to add me
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I did hate exercise but I love my barbell now.

It's the only kind of exercise I've ever stuck to and enjoyed and it makes me do some kind of cardio because I know it will help my weightlifting goals (conditioning apparently :/)

I think it's just a matter of finding that something that you'll love.