Avocado!

Options
Avocados are my current food obsession- they have healthy fats, tons of fiber, and that luscious creamy texture usually reserved for unhealthy things like cream cheese and mayo ;)

What's your favorite way to add avocado to your meals? I like to slice them on toast with garlic and salt or blend them into my smoothies

Replies

• btanton27
    btanton27 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I love avocados too! But I tend to never get them at the perfect ripe time, either super green or mushy so I buy packs of premade guacamole. My favorite brand is organic and low sodium, I eat it on everything! Burgers, sandwiches, dip my pretzels in, love it on top of grilled chicken with some fresh salsa... Mmm... having some with some black bean and rice enchiladas for lunch :)
  • jennybinney1987
    jennybinney1987 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    ive NEVER had avocado. ive always wanted to try it but was to scared I wouldn't like it. and idk how to prepare it or what to put it on. my obsession right now is spinach
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I eat avocado slices straight, or with a little seasoned salt.

Also cube it into salads.

I like your smoothie idea.

Avocados are the bacon of non-meats.
  • BlueButterfly94
    BlueButterfly94 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I've only had them plain on toast before. The first time I tried them. c: And then walmart hasn't stocked them since. -_-
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Living in New Mexico, avocados have long been a dietary staple...like since I was a kid. Most of the time I just have a half avocado and toss a little salt on it and scoop out the meat with a spoon....also good with some hot sauce or something. I also love avocado on my bacon and basil and avocado sandwiches. I also dice it up for salads and of course, guacamole.

As a family we go through 10 - 15 avocados per week on average I'd say...good thing we shop for them at Costco.
  • Smart_Beautiful_and_Strong
    Options
    I love avocado! It is hard to get them just right. I buy them green, put them in a brown lunch bag on the counter until perfectly ripe. I love it on toast, sandwiches, diced in salad, diced in fresh salsa with homemade baked corn chips. Mixed with greek yogurt makes a nice dip or sauce. I even love to eat them right out of the skin!
  • sdelo7
    sdelo7 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If it's really ripe, I mash it with some lemon juice make a spread. Otherwise, in salads, wether it tomato/avocado/boconcini with balsamic vinegar and fresh basil (my daughter's favourite!) or lately on top of a kale salad.
  • jillyrose0711
    jillyrose0711 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    ive NEVER had avocado. ive always wanted to try it but was to scared I wouldn't like it. and idk how to prepare it or what to put it on. my obsession right now is spinach

I love spinach too =) it's great with avocado! haha

An avocado is good when it's brown, slightly soft to the touch, and is green underneath when you flick the little stem thing off the end of it. Here's a guide that I used when I was unsure of how to slice it : http://www.avocadocentral.com/how-to/how-to-cut-how-to-peel-prepare-avocados
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'd eat them with a spoon, with ritz crackers on the side.
    To be a bit more healthy, I like to dice them over a bed of brown rice & have a side of salmon & broccoli.
    Or they're good in burritos.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I also love avocado on my bacon and basil and avocado sandwiches.
    OMC... That sounds delicious!!!!
    :thinks a minute:
    And I have all of those things here at the house!! Yippee!!
  • OKfarmgal
    OKfarmgal Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm an avocado nut as well!!

Instead of salad dressing, I crush it up with my hands and toss it with my lettuce. Then I put the remaining ingredients and stir. I usually put avocado in salad anyway and this just ensure I get a taste with every bite!! ????
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    Make guacamole.
    Make an avocado spread with spices and sour cream or ranch dressing. You can even use it as a dip that way for veggies, meat, or whatever.
    I'd like to find a good smoothie recipe. I'm low carb, so something with heavy cream or cream cheese...Now I'm craving avocados!
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I have some avacado receipes on my pintrest if you are interested:

http://www.pinterest.com/amunet07/healthydiet-recipes/
  • ShinyFuture
    ShinyFuture Posts: 314 Member
    Options

Avocados are the bacon of non-meats.

Omg, YES
  • WisteriaLady
    WisteriaLady Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Had them for the first time last night. I was in the same boat, was weary about trying them. There doesnt seem to be a taste from them! I turned mine into a dip to break myself in! One avocado, 1/2 red onion and 50g of feta cheese. Blended it all together and it was the most delicious thing that I ever tasted!! There is enough for 3 servings and its only around 105 calories per serving!
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    check pinterest. I'm making chocolate avocado pudding this week.
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I use it in tuna salad in place of mayo - SO good!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Love them - I buy them at Costco in the 5-6 count pack, and they are almost always perfect. If they are green, the camp out on the counter for a few days and then I pop them into the fridge and they keep really well.

Not that they stick around for long because we eat them a lot -

Sandwiches (BLTs with avocado! :drinker: )
    Burgers
    Eggs
    Enchiladas
    Salads
    Burrito bowls
    and of course - GUACAMOLE! Avocado, lime juice, a little salt & pepper, some garlic powder and mash it up. Yum yum yum!
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I use it in tuna salad in place of mayo - SO good!

This. I also spread them onto pretty much anything remotely sandwich like: egg wraps in the morning (every day for the past several weeks, actually!), tacos, quesadillas, turkey wraps. It's the perfect alternative to butter, mayo, what have you. Also, I just REALLY love avocado! I also toss it into salads, salsas. I live alone, and I still go through 3 or 4 per weeks. And since most of my applications involved spreading the avocado, I try to buy ones that are slightly overripe- a decent amount of give when you press into them, without being completely soft.
  • packer43064
    packer43064 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Spoon and half a avocado. Done.