How do I calculate the 30 day shred in my exercise

Options
Pretty much the whole question. :) How do I calculate that in my exercises?

Replies

• dlgulick
    Options
    Good post because I was just wondering the same exact thing!
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a HRM, I'd count it under circuit training.
  • missjensa
    Options
    On the 30 Day Shred (starting Jan 10th) thread, someone said they had been using:

Calisthenics (pushups, sit-ups), vigorous effort x 20 minutes

As it seemed a fair approximation of what the Shred is - I add on the Jumping Jacks as Cardio (but as if this was all the cardio minutes).

Then I add on as close an approximation of the strength moves I can find in the database.....
  • nabrown382
    Options
    The Calorie King book I used to use has a pretty good chart for estimating your calories burned in exercise. It says that it can be found on it's website, but that isn't the case anymore, so I'll just explain here.

Light exercise is considered to be things like slow walking, light cycling, light gardening, housework/cleaning, calesthenics/yoga, bowling, light water aerobics, etc. These exercises burn 3-5 calories/min, depending on your weight. A 130 lb person would burn ~3 cals/min, a 170 lb person would burn ~4 cals/min, and a 220 lb person would burn ~5 cals/min.

Moderate exercise is considered to be things like brisk walking, moderate cycling, light weight training, light aerobics, ballroom dancing, shoveling snow, playing basketball/baseball. These exercises burn 5-7 calories/min, depending on your weight. A 130 lb person would burn ~5 cals/min, a ~170 lb person would burn ~6 cals/min, and a 220 lb person would burn ~7 cals/min.

Heavy exercise only includes sports or activities that are sustained over a period of time (e.g. running). Anything that's stop-start, such as tennis, would be considered "moderate exercise". This would include power walking/jogging, vigorous cycling/spinning, heavy weight training, kick boxing, advanced water aerobics, strenuous dancing (e.g., Zumba). A 130 lb person would burn ~8 cals/min, a 170 lb person would burn ~10 cals/min, and a 220 lb person would burn ~12 cals/min.

I hope this helps. I use these estimates from time to time, but most of the time I use my heart rate monitor, which also has a calorie burn calculator. I think that's more accurate for me, and I don't have sit down and do a bunch of calculations.
  • emilillymom
    Options
    i use circuit training to cut the calories