Weight Loss stop

Options
Hello everyone

My weight loss seems to have stopped, im still eating the same calories as I have been doing and my weight has just not gone down

any answer to this would be great

Thank you

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    read this see if it helps

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit
  • cat_chick
    Options
    Thank you

so i need to exercise

oh noooooo LOL

oh well i will get the exercise bike out for half an hour a night

Thank you for your reply
  • tokays72
    Options
    I agree with Morganadk2. I would also like to add that you might want to focus on upping your nutritional intake while lowering your calorie intake. I have found that possible through Shakeology. I also really like Tony Horton's P90X work out DVD's. It is really hard to lower your caloric intake low enough to loose those last stubborn pounds with out sacrificing your health. So increase nutrition and do focused work out's.
  • dzilobommo
    dzilobommo Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Also, remember that now that you weigh less than when you started, your body needs less calories to keep going - maybe your old target has now become a 'maintenance' figure?

In any case, I certainly agree about needing to exercise :smile:
  • mkrafick
    Options
    I am not a doctor or trainer, but I can relay what I did when the same thing happened to me and the advice I got from a trainer. It came down to only a few things - you need to confuse your body, or it will adapt; you are under calories and your body is going into "starvation mode"; or sugar intake.

1. My calorie goal is 1700 cal and I rarely eat to it. I'll eat 1500cal one day, 2000 cal the next, 1700 cal the day after that, 2100cal the next, and 1600 cal after that. I zig zag around the goal, so my body isn't sure what it is getting and doesn't try to predict "I need to hold on to this because of what he expects me to do tomorrow". (Yes, this means you may see an increase of .25lb one day, but drop .5lb the next - it will fluctuate but go down over a period of a week).

2. If you are consistantly under calories, your body will go into starvation mode and hold on to whatever you give it.

3, Eat 5-6x a day to get your metabolism to ramp up.It takes a few weeks for this to happen and your body to understand it's role - but once it does, it starts to burn fat at a higher rate. Almost like a light switch.

4. Watch sugar! This killed me for about 4 weeks - I just would not lose weight. I would stay at or under calories, but as a treat I would have 1 Coke a day. What I didn't know, explained by my trainer, is that it causes a spike in insulin and that signals the body to hold on to whatever it can for the next few hours. So a coke with lunch meant that lunch was going straight to fat stores. I cut out manifactured (not fruity) sugar and saw a drop the next day.

5. If you are doing cardio or stregnth training - make sure you are not doing the same things consistantly. If you are always on the treadmill, work the elliptical or use a new setting. If you are strength training - switch machines, exercises, or go light weight more reps instead of heavy weight low reps.

6. If you are strictly doing cardio, you are seriously doing WAY more work than you have to for little return. Mix in some strength training BEFORE you go to cardio. It will build muscle that will cause you to burn more calories at rest and doing the strength training before cardio actually helps you burn more weight while doing cardio.

I hope this helps some. Stay persistant. Last year I went into 2 seprate periods of 4 weeks where I just held no matter how I tried. It took a while to figure out what is up - but I got through it. So will you.

Good luck.
  • sarahfoley1973
    Options
    Just go for a brisk walk round the shops without your money!! Exercise bikes are boring!