What is the biggest change other than 'the obvious'...?

Options
Hanfordrose
Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
Today, one of my MFP sisters asked me a good question, "Aside from the obvious physical changes, what is the biggest change you have noticed?"

This was my response:

I no longer live my days in a wheelchair. Though my knees are still painful at times, I can WALK around my house and only use a cane or my walker, when outside of our home. That freedom is like a miracle.

My doctors see the medical changes first. I am no longer borderline diabetic with an infection in my left ankle that nearly cost me my foot. I have great lab values now and a weight that is almost 'normal' BMI for a woman my height. I was over 49+ BMI (Morbidly Obese - Super Obese); and now, I am only 27.5 which is the low end of Overweight on the BMI scale.

The biggest change is probably my attitude toward food. I won't lie. The focus of my life is still on FOOD, but in a different way than in the past. In the old days, I never stopped eating and consumed more calories than I could even calculate. Snacks would be 8 to 10 candy bars at a time. A pint of Ben and Jerry's was a small snack; and I could eat any man under the table. I made sure that I had food everywhere in the house, from my office to my bedroom, because I got up in the middle of the night to eat.

Now, I am constantly aware of what I am 'going to eat' each day. I carefully plan my food for each day, before I begin to eat. I don't just buy everything in the store that looks good. I read labels and care about the nutritional values and calories, because my food is purposely limited to no more than 1200 calories per day. I try to limit sodium and increase protein.

WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST CHANGE...other than 'the obvious' loss of pounds?

Replies

• LinDiSm26262
    LinDiSm26262 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    You have really changed your life. I'm so happy for you. My biggest change is similar to one of yours. I pay attention to what I eat . It comes pretty naturally for me since I've been eating better for a good while now. I still have cravings sometimes and try to work it into my diet. I measure out my portions and stay within 1200 daily calories. I haven't lost as much as I would have liked but will continue eating within my calorie range because I know eventually I will reach my goal weight.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss and life style change Handfordrose! I have many changes and one of the most exciting is that I feel good and I feel 10 yrs. younger. I have so much I could share with you.... long story short...I had a heart attack in January. Looking back I am glad it happened. Prior to the heart attack I felt 10 yrs older and felt like crap. I knew something was wrong but never imagined I was that ill. Since then I have quit smoking, changed my eating habits and most of all started walking. I live with chronic pain as a result of two back surgeries with titanium fused my spine. I could hardly walk a mile 5 months ago and now I am walking 5-6 miles daily. I feel healthy, strong and confident for the first time in many, many years. My chronic pain is now tolerable. I never imagined I could feel good once again. :happy: :happy:
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    My doctor is no longer talking knee replacement, which is great since I am only 45. (I know the knee is mush inside and will be have to be replaced eventually, but later is better.)

I'm able to complete a 5k in a decent time.

I have started weightlifting and I am able to keep up with my teen boys at the gym. :) the 17 yo can do more with arms/chest, but I have him beaten at legs/abs/back. I'm currently stronger than the 14 yo.
  • misscem94
    misscem94 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I actually feel pretty now. It sounds superficial, but before I was obese I was still chunky, and I never looked good in sleeveless clothes or photos. Now, I do. My arms are only a little flabby, but it isn't noticeable to anybody but me.
  • Kiwi_Made
    Kiwi_Made Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm just a hell of a lot happier. This is a FANTASTIC thread.
  • Spnneil06
    Spnneil06 Posts: 18,745 Member
    Options
    WORD!!!! I feel the same way!
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I cook almost everything now :) and eat vegetables that I previously thought I didn't like. Food choices are more thought out and considered. I no longer eat something just because it's there and I am very aware of serving sizes and paying attention to nutrition to make sure I am eating a balanced diet

My doctors give me my lab and test results in amazement as everything that was previously an issue for me - diabetes, high blood pressure, cholesterol, sleep apnea - all gone/improved -- I was starting to show some eye damage due to the diabetes and that improved as well.

And who can't love the obvious ones, tiny clothes and smaller shoes, smaller everything :)
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh -great thread! I cannot believe how strong I am both physically and aerobically. Yesterday, my husband and I climbed a mountain in the Adirondacks of New York and when we got up a particularly steep incline he said, " You are so annoying! Do you realize you are not even breathing hard and here I am panting like a dog!!!" I am the one who used to stay home and cook for the hikers in my family because I was too out of shape to hike myself!!! When we got home from our hike, my husband woke up the next day so stiff he could not even walk up the road to our mailbox .. so I did it!!!!! Woo Hoo!!!! I LOVE being able to walk without sweating like crazy, having my lungs feel like they are going to burst from my chest and having my heart beat so fast that I am afraid of having a heart attack!!!! Being light and fit at 61 is more than I could have ever dreamed of 2 years ago!! I LOVE it and I am not going back!!!!
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,363 Member
    Options
    Great thread :)

For me,no more acid reflux...what an absolute relief...
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    My doctor is no longer talking knee replacement, which is great since I am only 45. (I know the knee is mush inside and will be have to be replaced eventually, but later is better.)

I will pray that you NEVER have to have that surgery. It is not easy. Recovery is long and painful.

My double knee replacement surgeries were in December, and my knees still hurt. I can get up and walk without fear of fracture; but when I am up for too long, both knees really fuss at me.
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I think mine is my attitude towards food. I LOVE food, and I always will. I'm a southern girl, and our culture is very much centered around food (unfortunately lol). But I'm able to mediate how much food I eat now. Before I wasn't aware of portion sizes, and I always felt hungry. I ate every time I watched tv. I ate when I was bored. I ate when I was sad. I ate while I worked. I ate while I played video games. I'd eat whole bags of chips or cookies in one sitting. Now I know the consequences of eating so much all the time. I know how I feel when I eat too much, and I know I don't EVER want to gain so much weight again.
  • Keevy333
    Keevy333 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Love reading anything you post Sue. You are such an inspiration!

My biggest changes I've noticed besides the physical stuff is pretty much on par with the others who have posted.

I am way more aware of anything and everything that passes my lips. I am also way more in tune with my body.... what hunger really feels like vs bored/craving stuff.

I also feel so much younger. I think I look so much better now than I did before. I no longer despise mirrors and probably check myself out more than my fiance! lol

Along with feeling better about my appearance, all my clothing choices have changed, Before I was all Baggy t shirts with jeans and now I have no problem wearing a tight fitting shirt with shorts.

I read an article or post or whatever earlier today and it was an interview with a man who had lost over 100 pounds. He said "If an obese person could feel what healthy and normal weight feels like for just a couple minutes, I think we would have way more people working towards a healthy lifestyle. " I couldn't agree with this statement more! If I had known it would feel this great, I would have done this so much longer ago!
  • dogluvr_2014
    dogluvr_2014 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I still have a long way to go and I do look forward to all the good changes coming my way. But for right now I would say that the biggest change is my relationship with food and how I look at it. I no longer look at veggies as a punishment or as something I must eat. I also read every label now and if it's not healthy I don't want it. I know I can have anything in moderation but right now I just want to give my body the nutrition that it has needed for way too long. Thanks Sue for another great post and helping us to remember why we're here. God Bless!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I can actually maybe see a way out of this dead end my life has become, and I have some of my fighting spirit back (thought that was gone for good). Now I just have to decide on a path and get my boogie shoes planted on it.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options

I will pray that you NEVER have to have that surgery. It is not easy. Recovery is long and painful.

My double knee replacement surgeries were in December, and my knees still hurt. I can get up and walk without fear of fracture; but when I am up for too long, both knees really fuss at me.

Thank you. I appreciate the prayers. I believe they matter more than anything else I do. I will be praying for continued improvement for you.
    But I am doing my part to cooperate with grace. I am in the gym doing weights to strengthen around it three days a week and flexibility/balance classes twice weekly trying to avoid it. It's just that I've seen the MRIs and there is a lot of damage. :(
  • Sie_Con
    Sie_Con Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I think I feel more confident about my looks. I'm not super confident yet, and I have a lot left to lose, but now when I'm walking down the street and I see a guy, i might smile at him or give a flirty glance. Or if a guy looks at me I don't automatically assume he was looking at someone else or not "looking" at me. I just feel better about myself and can think more positively about the way I look. It's great!
  • KimWW
    KimWW Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I haven't been back at this long enough to SEE much results, or even FEEL much different (don't worry, I am patient) but I feel this incredible sense of serenity just because I am trying. I expected to be irritated and hungry, but I am not. Maybe my hormones were out of whack and the good food is making me "normal." I don't know. All I know is that I have never felt better, and I haven't even lost any weight yet.
  • bostonboxermom
    bostonboxermom Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have two. One: I don't get sore from doing things like painting a bedroom. It used to be that I would be in pain for days after painting a room, getting up/down on a ladder, etc. Two: For some reason, my carpal tunnel has gotten MUCH better!
  • bakokari57
    bakokari57 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I think for me at this point is that I can pass up the bad stuff, like a chocolate cake today at Costco, and not feel deprived. My relationship with food has changed, I control it instead of it controlling me.

Thanks for the great thread.
  • muzichick
    muzichick Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have boney bits that poke out now (knees rub together when I lay on my side, hip bones poke out too). I likely have enough spare skin to cover another human.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!