Am I doing something wrong? (Dropped 3lbs in4 days)

Options
I am very new to dieting and MFP. I'm on a vegan diet of 1430cal a day excluding 300-400cals from exercise of which I'm not using much. I started with 195lbs 4 days ago, now my scale says I'm 191.8
Not that I don't like great news but this seems to me like a bit too good to be true. Mind you, I do get cravings, but a little protein with banana in the morning helps a big deal and I do snack from time to time while still staying within the
limits. So is this normal, or am I doing something horrid to myself?

Replies

• Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    It's a bit low for most males. Depends on your age, weight and height, and any activity such as a job or school. I'm 5'3 114 pounds and the slothiest human you'll ever meet (at least on any day I can't pry myself out of my chair for formal exercise), and I still only eat a couple hundred calories a day less than that. So I suspect you're low.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    You could probably eat more and lose (slower weight loss is truly better weight loss unless morbidly obese, as you have better odds of retaining your current muscle at goal, which leaves you leaner) but first week your glycogen stores are lost, so it might appear to be more than you'll actually lose in weeks to come. I'd wait another week or two and see, adjust from there. Make sure you're getting adequate macros and listen to your body.

I lost all my weight at 1650 net, for example. And I'm 5'3.5" and female
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    It's pretty common for people to lose a lot of water weight in the first week or two of a diet. This could just be water.

Have you tried weighing yourself morning and night? I find my weight goes up about 2 lbs over the course of the day, then drops back down 2 lbs overnight. It's only 1% of my total body weight, but in absolute terms it seems like a lot. It might just be that you weighed yourself at times in the day when you were more and less hydrated.
  • dennis_n
    dennis_n Posts: 29
    Options
    It's pretty common for people to lose a lot of water weight in the first week or two of a diet. This could just be water.

Have you tried weighing yourself morning and night? I find my weight goes up about 2 lbs over the course of the day, then drops back down 2 lbs overnight. It's only 1% of my total body weight, but in absolute terms it seems like a lot. It might just be that you weighed yourself at times in the day when you were more and less hydrated.
    That could be an explanation. I am only weighing myself once a day, usually when I am with an empty stomach and bladder. No idea how much my weight fluctuates during the day. Time to find out!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Some scales are evil. They know you want to see them go down, too. So they go down and then jump up for no good reason. If you have an evil scale, just watch your overall trends and do not worry about the little jumps up and down.

This goes triple if you're a woman because they become very evil once a month and add like 4-7 pounds and leave it there for a while. They must like women less.

A good scale will always stay the same or go down in nice, even amounts. Evil scales - you just can't trust those ********.

Don't let the scale get you down.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Some scales are evil. They know you want to see them go down, too. So they go down and then jump up for no good reason. If you have an evil scale, just watch your overall trends and do not worry about the little jumps up and down.

This goes triple if you're a woman because they become very evil once a month and add like 4-7 pounds and leave it there for a while. They must like women less.

A good scale will always stay the same or go down in nice, even amounts. Evil scales - you just can't trust those ********.

Don't let the scale get you down.

Not only this, but all the little household gizmos belong to the same union. If you yell at the scale, your refrigerator or toaster may take it out on you. ;D
  • dennis_n
    dennis_n Posts: 29
    Options
    Oh well. I did a little search on the internet ( while I was able to lift my fingers today, as I feel like a bag of anvils) its definitely a case of depleting my glycogen storage and all the water that comes with it. Today I also ate very very late in the day so that didn't help the case. So I'm bound to the couch today even taking cat naps. That's how tired I feel.(even though I did a bit of walking)
    I hope I'll be ok tomorrow. So far 4 pounds of "water weight" gone. So much for nothing!
    Patience patience patience. I'll stick to it for the long run. The real results will come eventually!
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    one day at a time. welcome.