Ideas for HIIT workouts please!!

Options
Hiya all, whilst I am not able to run much at the mo due to a foot injury, I am going to hit HIIT hard!! Got 20lbs to lose, and with that and weight lifting, I am hoping to shift some serious fat!

I have a little session I do on the spin bike, 1 min sprint ( as fast as I can for that 1 min) then 50%effort for a minute, x 8.

I would like some other ideas for hiit sessions, maybe even on the cross trainer. Would it be worth doing really high resistance on the cross trainer (elliptical) or spin bike, rather than speed for an allotted time?

Or just mix it up on the spin bike, maybe do 30 sec sprints with 30 sec recoveries, 10/12 times?

Want to make the best I can can of each session, so some ideas from those in the know would be grand.

cheers :-)

Replies

• Kommander_Zod
    Options
    Blurpees are god tier for HIIT and for fat burning.
    Try calisthenics perhaps??
  • reeves5
    reeves5 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Try setting up your own circuit - 60 sec each, jumping jacks (as foot injury heals), push ups, jogging in place, calk raises, burpees, dead lifts, etc. I've done this for years and it has helped my running.
  • Sweet_Pea4
    Sweet_Pea4 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    There are some great HIIT ideas on youtube :) I always follow them :)
  • Devasation
    Devasation Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If you can get to a track, try one of the workouts here:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-ripped-dude-whats-the-best-form-of-hiit.html

Burned 800 calories a session (I'm 5'5" 150 pounds)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    tuminello complex : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gff-w53LOjk

you're welcome

ETA i recently started HIIT on the rower.. not sure if hat will work with your foot, but the goal is to do it by increasing your power so that the strokes per minute decrease as the time to 500 m time. i try to get it so that each stroke gets me 10 m ... i'm winded after 30 seconds and then take a 30 second break
  • lizchic82
    lizchic82 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Great, thanks for replies guys. Seem to be a lot on the net anyway... have had a goozy and written some ideas down.

Anyone know what ratio is better for after burn, ie 1:2 (say 1 min top speed, 2 min recovery) or 2:1 (1 min top speed, 30 sec recovery) or are these differences basically so that everyone is able to incorporate them no matter what their fitness level?

I would love to be able to do the sprint ones, as I used to burn so much whilst doing track sessions, but alas, bloody plantar fasciitis.... :-(

Cheers all, will crack on at the gym today. Although when you're logging a HIIT session, its not great looking of MFP is it? 16 mins of spin.... lol!! Hope it actaully end up burning more than it says ;-)