Help for a total fitness newbie.

Options
Hello everyone.

I have grown tired of my sedentary lifestyle and have decided to take it upon myself to start working out.

However, outside of PE in high school, and that was 7 years ago i have never worked out a day in my life.
I have maintained a healthy body weight due to having type 1 diabetes wy whole life, but i am far from "in shape."

My Fiancee and I are looking to start going to the gym and running around town. However i have obviosly never even set foot in a gym and have no clue where to begin.

Over the past there days i have been jogging/fast walking around my block. Averaging about 30 minutes a day.

However I feel like that is not enough. I keep getting this compulsive urge to do more and more.

Any advice for a total fitness newbie?

Thanks.

Replies

• Fit_Jesus
    Options
    Start by learning how to squat.
  • elliotg06
    Options
    Resistance train 3x a week hitting the full body. Example: Mon, Wed, Fri full body weight lifting and focusing on the compound movements such as squat, bench, deadlift, overhead press, dips, pull-ups etc.

As for nutrition if you are looking to loose weight eat in a caloric deficit. You could also take one step up and learn about macronutrients so you can manipulate macronutrient intake with the caloric deficit you are in.
    Don't lower your calories to much either, you want to be eating as much food as you can while still losing weight for metabolic purposes and keeping as much muscle as you can.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    first and foremost get some tangible fitness goals to work towards that will help you determine your workouts and quite possibly even your gym.

for instance do you want to be a cage fighter? run a spartan race? do a pull up? be able to clean and jerk your fiancee? etc

but in general, a good well-balanced fitness routine should include things for conditioning, things for strengthening and things to help mobility/recovery/flexibility.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    DVDs! Jillian Michaels is my favourite, but have a browse around YouTube and see if you find something you like :)
  • SpencerGJackson
    SpencerGJackson Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I suppose my goal woukd be general fitness. I'd like to be in all around shape.

I want to be able to run longer/faster.

I want to be stronger.

I want to be healthier and happier.
  • Fit_Jesus
    Options
    www.ergo-log.com/runners-benefit-from-deep-squats-too.html
  • SpencerGJackson
    Options
    www.ergo-log.com/runners-benefit-from-deep-squats-too.html
    wasn't trying to ignore/discredit what you wrote, buddy.
    Was just trying to clarify my goaks.

I understand the importance of squats and intend to learn.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone.

I have grown tired of my sedentary lifestyle and have decided to take it upon myself to start working out.

However, outside of PE in high school, and that was 7 years ago i have never worked out a day in my life.
    I have maintained a healthy body weight due to having type 1 diabetes wy whole life, but i am far from "in shape."

My Fiancee and I are looking to start going to the gym and running around town. However i have obviosly never even set foot in a gym and have no clue where to begin.

Over the past there days i have been jogging/fast walking around my block. Averaging about 30 minutes a day.

However I feel like that is not enough. I keep getting this compulsive urge to do more and more.

Thanks.
    Exercise gets addictive, lol. Those endorphins!

Swimming will tone you up all over. :)
  • SpencerGJackson
    Options
    Hello everyone.

Thanks.
    Exercise gets addictive, lol. Those endorphins!

Swimming will tone you up all over. :)
    Haha yeah.

I do have a pool in the backyard. Any specific swimming stroke better than another?
  • SpencerGJackson
    Options
    Yeah, lol i need help.

I just tried crunches and pushups for the first time in 6 years.

I can only manage 25 crunches and 10 pushups.