What is the biggest change other than 'the obvious'...?

Options
2»

Replies

• melissaw78
    melissaw78 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Everything feels like....less work.
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I have boney bits that poke out now (knees rub together when I lay on my side, hip bones poke out too). I likely have enough spare skin to cover another human.

Boney bits...Love it! I so was excited, when I discovered that I could FEEL my rib cage and my hip bones after so many years. Thanks for reminding me of those great moments. :happy:
  • aurorareigns
    Options
    I feel more successful. Instead of just wishing I was skinnier, I lost the weight.

I feel more confident.

I realized that no matter what weight I am, I'm still the same person.
  • Snailman44
    Options
    I can't believe the energy i have. I used to spend my weekends doing nothing but laying around the house thinking this was normal to be tired from work but it had nothing to do with that. Being so out of shape really sucked the fun out of me but not any more.
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 36,102 Member
    Options
    Today, one of my MFP sisters asked me a good question, "Aside from the obvious physical changes, what is the biggest change you have noticed?"

This was my response:

I no longer live my days in a wheelchair. Though my knees are still painful at times, I can WALK around my house and only use a cane or my walker, when outside of our home. That freedom is like a miracle.

My doctors see the medical changes first. I am no longer borderline diabetic with an infection in my left ankle that nearly cost me my foot. I have great lab values now and a weight that is almost 'normal' BMI for a woman my height. I was over 49+ BMI (Morbidly Obese - Super Obese); and now, I am only 27.5 which is the low end of Overweight on the BMI scale.

The biggest change is probably my attitude toward food. I won't lie. The focus of my life is still on FOOD, but in a different way than in the past. In the old days, I never stopped eating and consumed more calories than I could even calculate. Snacks would be 8 to 10 candy bars at a time. A pint of Ben and Jerry's was a small snack; and I could eat any man under the table. I made sure that I had food everywhere in the house, from my office to my bedroom, because I got up in the middle of the night to eat.

Now, I am constantly aware of what I am 'going to eat' each day. I carefully plan my food for each day, before I begin to eat. I don't just buy everything in the store that looks good. I read labels and care about the nutritional values and calories, because my food is purposely limited to no more than 1200 calories per day. I try to limit sodium and increase protein.

WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST CHANGE...other than 'the obvious' loss of pounds?

You are an inspiration for everyone!!!!!! I'm sorry about your knees but glad you are out of a wheelchair! The biggest change is see is: My attitude towards food also: I've been in maintenance for about 5 months but been on MFP for about 3 years! I realize that portion control AND exercise has change my life! I went from a size 18 to 6 pants with LOTS of hard work! I get morning runs in instead of laying on the couch all day!

Planning my menu also helps me stay focus, like yourself limit my sodium helps! My target food I just don't buy, ice cream! If I have some it's JUST at a restaurant! That way I don't eat the whole gallon! My energy has also came back became a runner about 1 1/2 ago! I will be doing my first half in Oct, yes!!!

Congrats to everyone successful journey on. MFP!

Jackie
  • GardenGirlie
    GardenGirlie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I feel fluid. This was a huge goal of mine. I move about in this world now so much more comfortably. In and out of my vehicle. Using public restrooms. Not worrying if I will break any chair I am unfamiliar with when I sit down.

I am open to exploring and learning new things. I no longer feel the need to hide away so I am finally beginning to explore and experience things that I want to do for me.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    No more clothes-related fussing and fidgeting.

I used to CONSTANTLY mess with my clothes, to the point that I would cringe at and embarrass myself on a daily basis. If I stood up from being seated I had to make sure my top wasn't clinging to fat rolls. If I walked across a room I'd adjust my pants/jeans or skirt. When standing up talking to a friend I would fidget with my shirt. When seated I would arrange my clothes for maximum fat camouflage (pointless anyway) and hope for a pillow or other prop to send their eye looking elsewhere. Forget walking past my own reflection in glass or a mirror...panicky clothing adjustment time, every time...

I'm still technically overweight and I still have some bulges at my belly and flab on my upper arms. But it is a HUGE change for me to honestly feel comfortable enough in my own skin that I don't do any of that stuff. Of course it helps that my clothes fit better and are less likely to be so baggy and layered like they used to be. But the victory of it for me is that it's no longer my annoying "habit"...It happens maybe once or twice out of what used to be 100 occasions a day of clothes-related adjustments and nervousness. A few times now, I've caught myself walking around with my top halfway tucked into my skirt or pants and I didn't even notice at first...that's huge for me!!
  • lindainprogress
    lindainprogress Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    when we hike or bike, my friends don't have to wait for me. I can actually lead the way now!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!