What is causing my ibs bloat?

Options
Please help. I've eliminated wheat dairy & processed food 90% of the time.
Yet I'm still getting awfully bloated.

I eat porridge with hot water almond butter & banana & bloat
I eat baked potato wedges & bloat.
I eat chicken & broccoli & bloat.
I eat scrambled eggs & rice cakes & bloat.

Everything seems to bloat me & I don't know what to do. I exercise eat well and my stomach used to be my favourite part of me and was always flat. Please help me, I haven't gained any weight it's just normal in the morning then it bloats.

Replies

• MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Cut out the almonds, see if that helps.

Cut out the broccoli.

Cut out the rice cakes (try corn crisps/cakes instead).

It really is an elimination process. My diet is, on the whole, pretty good these days, but I know now that I can't have:

Bread
    Pasta
    Rice
    Full whole grains

If I do then it all goes to pot and people have to stand well back :noway:

Too much in terms of raw veggies has the same effect, to the point where some years ago a doctor suspected a stomach ulcer.

My other main trigger is stress. That ties everything in knots these days.

Are you drinking enough water through the day? Cutting down/out sugars? Stay off the diet drinks as they can cause bloating and pain.
  • rougenoire
    rougenoire Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    For me out of that food list the broccoli and rice cakes would be the things making me feel bloated. Potato wedges too possibly. I have tried loads of different approaches for dealing with my ibs but the one that seems to have kick started recovery for me is FODMAP. Long scientfic theory short fodmaps are sugars that someone with IBS finds difficult to digest. you can either trigger yourself by eating something high in fodmaps or build up to a level that triggers by eating more low fodmap foods. I don't stick to it so much now but it was really useful to work out what my triggers were and what I could eat no problem.
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Just had a painful episode myself could be food related
  • kay699
    kay699 Posts: 12
    Options
    I suffer with this too but find if I cut out too many potatoes , bread and rice cakes it decreases the bloat good luck with it hun keep going you have to try different foods to work out what's best for you and keeps you from bloating it will get better :)
  • kessler4130
    kessler4130 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    it's hard to say, but could also be from elevated estrogen levels, couldn't tell you why but I can tell you estrogen increases water retention.
  • mshannond
    Options
    For me out of that food list the broccoli and rice cakes would be the things making me feel bloated. Potato wedges too possibly. I have tried loads of different approaches for dealing with my ibs but the one that seems to have kick started recovery for me is FODMAP. Long scientfic theory short fodmaps are sugars that someone with IBS finds difficult to digest. you can either trigger yourself by eating something high in fodmaps or build up to a level that triggers by eating more low fodmap foods. I don't stick to it so much now but it was really useful to work out what my triggers were and what I could eat no problem.

That sounds good! I will try that soon :)
  • mshannond
    Options
    Cut out the almonds, see if that helps.

Cut out the broccoli.

Cut out the rice cakes (try corn crisps/cakes instead).

It really is an elimination process. My diet is, on the whole, pretty good these days, but I know now that I can't have:

Bread
    Pasta
    Rice
    Full whole grains

If I do then it all goes to pot and people have to stand well back :noway:

Too much in terms of raw veggies has the same effect, to the point where some years ago a doctor suspected a stomach ulcer.

My other main trigger is stress. That ties everything in knots these days.

Are you drinking enough water through the day? Cutting down/out sugars? Stay off the diet drinks as they can cause bloating and pain.

Can you do gluten free pasta and things? Yes drink at least 2 litres a day :)
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I just don't bother with them on the whole. Miss them occasionally, but on the whole all is good.

Do have the odd 'free from' bread bun when I want a bacon butty, but that's about once a month. Had the tortillas but again they have flour so can't have more than once a week or so.
  • joanna_82
    joanna_82 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    oats? Some people that are sensitive to gluten are also sensitive to oats.
  • amoeba506
    Options
    I also have IBS and I'm actually really bothered by chicken, eggs, and turkey (as well as dairy and gluten). My stomach gets really upset from it. It was a real pain in the *kitten* until I figured it out because that's basically what every diet tells you to eat to lose weight or whatever. Whether that's related to IBS I can't be sure but everyone's symptoms are triggered by different things.

Also, if you look up the low FODMAP food lists, you'll see it's not just about eliminating dairy and wheat...there are lots of whole foods that can trigger IBS symptoms. I've found that I naturally tend to avoid them, but it's worth a look because some of them. It really just has to do with how food breaks down in your belly.

http://www.ibsdiets.org/fodmap-diet/fodmap-food-list/
  • Agree with low FODMAP recommendation, have recently started doing this and feel so much better already - Onions are one surprising IBS stimulant! I plan to try and reintroduce some foods later though, even if in smaller quantities, as it would be a shame to miss out on all the high-FODMAPs permanently...
  • WiganPeer
    Options
    I was diagnosed recently with IBS but realised a few years ago certain foods were best avoided namely wheat/ gluten,dairy,dried fruit and fats. Things were ticking along nicely until a dietitian suggested I was a FODMAP. We'll since strictly adhering to this diet my bloating has never been worse and I am now back to square 1 of the " process of elimination" diet although I think soya yogurt may be a prime suspect which is bad as I can't eat dairy at all either. Any ideas? Btw I have started taking extra supplements- probiotics( super strength) flaxseed oil, sprinkling linseed on food, peppermint capsules and drinking fennel tea like mad. The bloating really is terrible- I'm quite slim and end up looking easily 6 months pregnant ( even get an outie belly button) but it is quite painful too.
    I suppose I just need to know whether it's worth carrying on with the FODMAP as it's early days or are there any other supplement worth considering?
    Thanks in advance