Wanted: Started Heavy Lifting More then 50 lbs from Goal

Options
twrobbel
twrobbel Posts: 132 Member
Hello,

I have seen amazing before/after photos of women who have heavy lifted. As I looked through most of those posts, they were within 20lbs or less of their goal weight. I am interested in seeing results from people who still had a significant amount of weight to lose when they started. What does the results look like? I am debating whether to start now or wait a few months until I get the scale below 200 lbs. I would like to start now- but I know I will feel defeated when the scale stalls/slows down.

Replies

• saraj9999
    Options
    I am of the same mind. I am waiting to start training harder until I am under 200 lbs. Only about 5 more to go before then.

The plan is to join the gym, start lifting, take TRX and Zumba classes, etc. My activity right now consists of daily long walks and/or C25K training days. I usually end up at about 5 miles a day because of my FitBit.

I figure I am giving myself time to get stronger and more fit so that hopefully I can prevent any potential injuries I may have suffered from being SO out of shape when I began to track and walk in May.
  • harleykat64
    Options
    I started heavy lifting 70lbs from goal, I am now 35lbs from goal and it has been wonderful! Now as the fat is coming off I am seeing muscles peaking through! I still do cardio but have incorporated heavy lifting into my daily routine. My weight does not fluctuate as bad as it did when I was on a more cardio based routine, and I am loving the shape it is giving my body now :)
  • twrobbel
    Options
    Harleykat64 how long did it take you do drop those 35lbs once you started lifting? What did your cardio/lifting schedule look like? What weight loss were you averaging before lifting vs with lifting? It helps me to understand what happens to others so I don't have unrealitic expectations.
  • toronto88
    toronto88 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy as early on as you can. Gaining some muscle now will help protect your joints from injury as you strive to be more active. You'll also look leaner and the extra muscle will boost your metabolism to speed your weightloss (or allow you to eat more). If you enjoy it...do it! I prefer weights to cardio and so I do whatever gets me to the gym. I usually have to sign up for a running race or some kind of event to get myself into cardio :P
  • toronto88
    toronto88 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Lifting is also good motivation because you can often see improvements in strength faster than you see your body shape changing. It also helps you feel like an athlete!
  • 1LadyKate
    1LadyKate Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I started lifting 51 days ago and I have lost 10 lbs since I started. It is very strange to me as people are already starting to notice. Alot of my clothes are starting to fit like they did when I was 5-7 lbs less than I am now. My arms and legs are looking pretty good.
  • steveyinasia
    steveyinasia Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Combining weight training with your cardio will increase your fat loss, remember to start slow with the weights and always aim for proper form over a heavier weight.
  • jrhanna84
    jrhanna84 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've got 60+ pounds to go before I hit my goal. I've been lifting for a year and have been taking my nutrition seriously (with a few bad days here and there) for 6 months (learned that lesson the hard way). I suggest starting now it was one of the best decisions I made. I try to only weigh in once every 2 weeks and I average close to 2 pounds in that time frame. Just remember everyone is different though. Here are some suggestions I have, that have worked well for me since I've started lifting:

1. Take progress photos and measurements before you start. I take monthly photos and measurements every 2 months.
    2. Invest in a good protein powder. Shoot for at least 120 grams of protein daily (this is a number that my trainer gave me to shoot for. It's my blast fat and gain muscle number). Lot's of healthy lean protein (chicken, turkey, fish, quinoa, etc.) I have a protein shake (2 scoops) on my way to work and another (1 scoop) as a snack at some point in the day.
    3. Keep a training log. Write down in a notebook (I do not recommend MFP for this task. The only app I would recommend is JEFIT.) the exercise, # of sets, # of reps, amount of weight, and anything else you feel is pertinent to your workout. Do this for every workout. Studies have shown people who do this tend to reach their goals quicker.
    4. Break up with your scale temporarily. You WILL gain some weight when you first start training. I actually broke up with my scale entirely for a 4 month stretch and lost a "ton" of weight, well for me anyway since I seem to lose at a turtle pace (10 pounds).
    5. DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness)....it comes with the territory.
    6. Never work the same muscle group(s) 2 days in a row. I work legs Monday's and Thursday's. Upper body Tuesday's and Friday's.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    start now. as you build more muscle, your body will burn more calories AND you'll get a head start on a firmer, healthier body.

here's an idea. go to amazon, find a book called "The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess" and click the "Look inside" link. the sample is quite long and interesting, and will really give you an idea of why to start now.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I have seen amazing before/after photos of women who have heavy lifted. As I looked through most of those posts, they were within 20lbs or less of their goal weight. I am interested in seeing results from people who still had a significant amount of weight to lose when they started. What does the results look like? I am debating whether to start now or wait a few months until I get the scale below 200 lbs. I would like to start now- but I know I will feel defeated when the scale stalls/slows down.

Start NOW. I started with weights when I was almost 90lbs overweight. Its taken me over 2 years to lose 45lbs, but I haven't really given my diet the proper attention.

When I first started I was 228 lbs, wore a 42DD bra, and a snug 18 in pants. My shirts were an 18/20 or 22/24 depending on style. I now weigh 184 lbs, wear a 38D, size 10/12 pants & 12/14 shirt. In the last 9 months I have only lost 6lbs, but people are constantly asking me if I've lost more weight.

My trainer is a competition bodybuilder, and my 2x weekly sessions with him are scaled versions of his workouts. I can squat 200lbs and deadlift 180lbs. Other gym members just gawk when they see us together. Feel free to look through my profile pics.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I started when I thought I had 50lb to go to my target. It wound up that I only lost about 40lb, felt uncomfortably skinny and put back on 5lb to get closer to the look and strength I want.

If you start now, you'll be so glad later that you did!

VcCmuvRl.jpg

I've gone from a UK size 16-18 (US 12-14) to a size 8-10 (US 2-6, depending on brands).
  • 2dare2dream
    2dare2dream Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    To be perfectly honest i started my journey in June 17 and i weighed in at docs office @ 355 lb. I didn't begin any form of exercise until January this year when i was down to 269 lb loss of 86 lb. I have to say that i am glad i started early on as now i am down to 198 lbs and am still working with trainer at gym once a week. The only other form of exercise i do is walking. On average week i will walk 35-40 miles This is a far cry from what i could originally walk. My honest opinion is start now. As i see my body reducing the shape that has been formed with body building is amazing and way better than i could of hoped for.
    My goal weight is a little higher than most women as i am 5 10 and have excess skin that will need taken care off end of this year.
  • Snailman44
    Options
    I lifted weight after i got to my goal weight. If i was to do it all over again i wish i had lifted earlier. Fat loss is is fast gaining muscle is really slow. You can lose 10+ lbs a month or more of fat but for muscle its like 8-10lbs a year you can gain naturally.
  • yasmine334
    yasmine334 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I started when I thought I had 50lb to go to my target. It wound up that I only lost about 40lb, felt uncomfortably skinny and put back on 5lb to get closer to the look and strength I want.

VcCmuvRl.jpg

I've gone from a UK size 16-18 (US 12-14) to a size 8-10 (US 2-6, depending on brands).

You look great, what was your diet and your lifting programme?
  • HarleyQuinn26
    HarleyQuinn26 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I started lifting 2 weeks ago. I am 156 pounds from my goal weight. I don't lift heavy yet but I'm working my way there. I have lost some inches already and notice my body changing.

I agree with previous posters that you should start lifting as soon as possible. Start out small and work your way up.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I started lifting heavy when I was 236 lbs (I'm a 5'6" female, for reference). It didn't in ANY way stop me from losing weight.

Otoh, I wasn't lifting to lose weight. I was doing it for stress relief, because it was one of the few things I could do at 100% intensity given a couple of medical issues, and I happen to love it.

You'll notice I'm only down to 202 (ticker wasn't started at 236). That's on me, not the lifting. I've been working with underlying issues and am really happy to steady permanent changes (better eating and sleeping habits, for example, even when I took a several week break from MFP).

About half of my weight and size (from US 22-24 to 16-18) was accomplished while lifting heavy. My bench press PR is 230 lbs - when I say heavy, I mean *heavy*! About half of the drop was accomplished while taking a break from weights. The only reason for that break btw, is that I moved to over an hour from a gym, and am likely to move again within the year. So I don't want to buy equipment.

Oh, and I still look like a harmless hobbit, likely to offer a tray of tea and cookies. Which is frankly annoying when my lowfat female triathlete friend of my height has amaaaazing biceps (we curl the same #). Lifting makes my weight look better, and I stand taller/stronger...but from experience I know that muscle won't show until my weights a good bit lower. This too is a bit YMMV.

LIFT.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options

VcCmuvRl.jpg

You look great, what was your diet and your lifting programme?

I followed a flexible dieting plan (IIFYM, plenty of vegetables, lots of meat and not stressing about treats) at about 20% under TDEE then dropping to 10% under TDEE and finally going to TDEE and TDEE+10%...

In terms of lifting, I started off with StrongLifts until I completely stalled out (about 9 months), then 5/3/1 (which did sweet FA for me) and now I have a coach who sets my programming for me.
  • kristarablue2
    kristarablue2 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Ok...DONT WAIT!!! For many reasons. First of all heavy lifting will only help you on your journey to weight loss, as even at rest muscle burns more calories than fat (not a ton more mind you but it does burn some extra.) But more importantly, it can change your body, and maintain muscle mass instead of losing it though lots of cardio and low calorie diet. http://www.builtlean.com/2013/04/16/muscle-burn-calories/

Beyond the actual physical benefits, it just gives a confidence that I never received from cardio alone. I saw an incredible change in my body once I began to lift heavy weights. I felt strong, I enjoyed the gym so much more as cardio became boring after awhile. I became leaner and more shapely quicker than cardio alone. As someone that has lost a significant amount of weight, I highly recommend weight lifting. If you are unsure what program to use, there are many web sites that can help you out. Bodybuilding.com has a ton of programs you can search out.

Good luck and start lifting!!!! You won't regret it...Oh and make sure you take measurements before you begin!!! It is amazing how you can lose inches even when your weight does not change that much.
  • kristarablue2
    kristarablue2 Posts: 386 Member
    Options

VcCmuvRl.jpg

Sidebar....you look AMAZING!!! GREAT JOB!
  • twrobbel
    Options
    Thanks all! I have been reading the NROLFW and I am trying to figure out how to start it. I have been taking different strength training classes, which interestingly enough are doing some of the same moves in NROLFW- just lighter weights and more reps, so at least I know I am getting my form down.

Can anyone recommend a tasty protein powder?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!