What turned it around for you?

Options
My MFP sisters sure are inspiring me today. One of them ask, "What turned it around for you?"...referring to my choice to finally lose weight after years of being morbidly obese.

Here was response to my MFP friend:

My turn around came on the day that a surgeon showed me x-rays of my knees, and said that I needed "both knees replaced". He also said that it was not safe for me to be out of my wheelchair.

I wanted my life back. I wanted out of that wheelchair. I wanted to be able to walk anywhere with my hubbie...on a beach or a pathway. I didn't want to be stuck in that chair and having my poor hubbie to deal with pushing his fat wife everywhere.

Now, the surgeon showed me the x-rays that I had 'complications' which would keep me in the chair and maybe keep me from ever qualifying for that much needed surgery.

The heads of long bones in my legs had numerous cracks. If I fell, I didn't risk a normal broken bone. Those long bones would split right down the middle and leave me with very complicated fractures and possibly crippled for life.

My hubbie said, "So, let's get those knees replaced as soon as possible."

The surgeon looked at him and said, "We can't do those knees surgeries right now." Then, he looked at me and said, "You will have to lose at least 70 pounds, before I can schedule you for any knee replacement surgery. At your current weight (270.9...down from 280+), the prosthetic knee and bone connection would not last. We would have to redo the surgery within a few years, if we could do it at all."

That was the day that I knew, "You have only 2 choices, Sue. You must either lose the weight to get those new knees or accept life as a cripple."

It still took me a month to finally get the guts to put myself on a 'diet again'. I had very little hope of losing that 70 pounds, but I had to try.

Today, I am well past the 70 pound goal of the surgeon and have my new knees. Today, I weigh 161 pounds and have a new goal of 140 pounds, which I know is attainable...even for this old girl. My wheelchair is stored for rare occasions, when I would have to be on my legs for too long; and I am getting stronger every day.

So, what turned it around for YOU?

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Do you mean 161?
    Congratulations! You've done fantastic!
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Do you mean 161?
    Congratulations! You've done fantastic!

Oops! Yes, I did mean 161 pounds. Thanks for showing me that typo. I would be crying, if I were 261 pounds again. :laugh:
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, interesting question.

There have been turn around moments throughout this "journey".....

But the VERY 1st one when I was at my highest weigh of 268 lbs approx. was made alongside a decision to refuse to take a whole bunch of really strong medication that was supposed to help :noway: me cope we being abused as a child.

It was a disaster of Doctors trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.....nothing worked, I was depressed to the point of suicide (Thank God my attempts failed....at the time these failures were further proof that I couldn't do ANYTHING right). I developed another abscess from the Depo shot and that was it....I refused any more treatment. Sought out Counselling and started on the VERY long road to reclaiming my life.
  • dogluvr_2014
    dogluvr_2014 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Great post Sue... as always!! I honestly don't know what turned it around for me except to say that it was finding this site. I was still doing my same old "tomorrow" routine and I would like to say that I had some sort of epiphany but I didn't. I had been praying for so long for God to release me from the insanity that was my life and to change me. I know things happen in His time so I guess it truly was time for me to do this because I don't even remember how I found this site... I really don't. I do know that nothing has been the same for me since I came here and committed to doing this. I look at everything different now and have a peace with my food and with myself that I have never had before. I don't even mind that reaching my goal weight is going to take a long time. I am working every day towards healing my body, my mind and my spirit and am loving every minute of it. Even the lows since they are teaching me patience. So for all of you that are still struggling, I promise you God does answer prayers and you can change. I am living proof of that. God Bless!!! :smile:
  • Keevy333
    Keevy333 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Well first was seeing my weight get to its highest.... a year AFTER having my daughter. I was like... that doesn't seem right at all! At the same time my daughter was just learning to walk and approaching her 1st birthday and all I could see was the future and I didn't want to be the mom that can't run around and play with her daughter. Also, I had a person or two tell me I couldn't do. Pretty sure I was told that before, but that on top of all my other feelings at the time really gave me that push. Seriously I have never been happier!
  • ilenewilliams
    ilenewilliams Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    What a great question Sue!!! Your story is so inspiring!

What did it for me was a series of several things. I had a stroke at the ripe old age of 44 years old. I was just over 220 lbs at the time and miserable at that weight. I had been "losing" off and on for a few years and just getting heavier. Anyway my blood pressure was really high and my blood sugar was too high and I was depressed. After the symptoms of the stroke began resolving and I began to understand that I could and probably would have a much larger and more devastating stroke someday if I didn't do something, I went on yet another diet. I gained 15 pounds! Back at the doctor for a routine followup (about 6 months after the stroke) my doctor sat me down and flat out told me that my bloodwork was horrible, my cholesterol was too high, I was on the edge of a diabetes diagnosis, my liver was fatty and if I wanted to watch my then 11 year old son graduate high school I had to lose weight. He said he wanted me to do it the old fashion way, diet and exercise and if that didn't do it, then we could talk surgery.

I thought about it, I denied it, and ignored it for about 2 more weeks, then I checked my bloodsugar on a glucometer I had at the house and it was 124 fasting. It was between 115 and 124 every single day for the next week and it scared me. I watched my mother die of complications from diabetes at 71. She was wheelchair bound, legally blind, on dialysis and unable to do anything for herself and had been that way for several years. i didn't want that to happen to me, I never want to be that kind of burden on my children. I decided to stop eating junk food, McDonalds was a weakness, I stopped for a happy meal every day on my way home from work, (I still do but only get an iced tea), I also started walking around my neighborhood. I got on the scale and was 238 lbs, I am 5'3" tall.

I walked and I ate normally except for my McD's fix and lost a few pounds and rediscovered this site. With the help of MFP I started eating healthier, walking faster and farther and by March of this year (about 6 months) I was down to 188 lbs. I joined a gym in November because my hubby was scared of me walking the neighborhood in the dark after work, we I can now lift 225 lbs. in a deadlift, I can leg press 270 and bench 105 lbs. I can walk several miles without even losing my breath. My fasting blood sugar hasn't been over 88 in 5 months, I am down to 1 blood pressure medication and only 1/2 strength, I am at 182 lbs and stuck there (have been for 3 months now) but while I am frustrated with no progress, I know my body is stronger then ever before and I can see the reversal of the scary medical things. According to my trainer, I would be able to bench much more, but my left arm is still weak from the stroke, so every time I try and go heavier, it is a reminder of why I do this.

So to sum it up, it wasn't one thing, one click and I turned the corner, it was a series of events and a long time to get my head on straight, but I did it and continue to do it through the frustration of the longest plateau of my life!
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I had been to the beach with my husband and adult children. . I was the biggest I had ever been. My daughter asked me why I was so out of breath. It was a terrible trip. I was the referee the whole time. Everyone was so selfish and adult children wanted us to pay for everything. Hubby was grouchy and did not want to share his coffee or anything else. I had finally had it, they were all getting on my nerves and I was putting up with a lot of crap. Well I thought I have got to get myself in shape and at least like myself. I got back off that vacation and lost the weight. Seems like I got more self respect and would not allow others to walk over me. I lost 40 on my own, started gaining back 15 pounds after eating ww dinners and someone at the gym told me about MFP and it worked. I like myself much better these days. I think a lot of weight can cause low self esteem, you just feel bad about yourself.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your achievement Sue. And yes its a nice post.

I had a job once as a medicolegal typist and it was then that i realised how little ordinary people know and understand about their own bodies. Its only when get a rude shock like you had that you have to start learning something. And now you've taught us something too.

Anyway, my turnaround this time was just feeling disgusted with my size and appearance. I'd been feeling this way for some time but was in a good frame of mind otherwise. I'd been feeling undepressed for several months. So then new year came along and a few days after on the spur of the moment, i decided to make a new years resolution to get down to 60kg/132 or 135 pounds by the end of the year. I haven't looked back. I'm currently in my 140s somewhere/65kg today.

I"m feeling great in my body and determined that i will never be overweight again. I'm so loving my food though. More than when i ate ice-cream by the litre. Today i've prepared meals from 3 mediterranean countries - spain, france (a sugarless dessert) and greece. Tonight will be leftover italian. diet wise its been such an interesting year for me.
  • WDA4655
    WDA4655 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My turn around was when after I had given completely up and I thought I was going to die. I was feeling so bad physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. Then I prayed and asked God to help me find something that would help and a dear friend of mine posted on Facebook the MFP site. As soon as I checked it out I knew that this was the answer for me. I thank God that He is always there when we call on Him and He always answers! I give Him all the glory for leading the way!

Sue I am so proud of you! And thank you so much for friending me! My MFP friends are so valuable to me and I appreciate our friendship.
  • oceanblue6
    oceanblue6 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I logged on today and went to the message boards looking for some inspiration. Your story (and the stories of other posters that followed) gave me that inspiration. I am so impressed by your commitment and positive attitude. Thank you!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    You're awesome! :drinker:

For me it was going to the doctor for a check up and her ordering all kinds of tests, EKG etc... I guess it hit me that even at my age (34 at the time) I was already at risk for heart issues, so it would only get worse if I didn't lose the weight. It still took me a couple months to be ready to do it after that though.
  • fiudave
    fiudave Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I remember looking in the mirror in December 2012, and I had one of those life changing moments - I wondered what it would be like to look "normal." I know that there isn't one normal state of being, but I later realized that I just wanted to know what it was like to live my life like most people do. I wanted to be able to go outside and walk around without feeling like I was going to have a heart attack. I wanted to know what it was like to meet people as something other than a fat man, to see if anyone would appreciate the good person I am and get past who they saw with their eyes. And I realized in that moment that I was going to have to do it on my own, to gather the determination to lose the weight once and for all. At my biggest, I was somewhere between 450 and 500, a 6'2'' man with a 64 inch waist. That's before the profile picture...there I'm still over 400 with a 58 inch waist. Today I'm at 232 and still losing. I didn't start MFP until I was 259 and at a plateau, and I had the great idea of eating up to the max recommended amounts of sugar, sodium, fat, etc. and not going over. The combination of the two events changed my life and my future. My health has never been better, and I'm thankful every day that I have a chance to make my health and my life better.
  • norrisski
    norrisski Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Two things were the turn around for me. First was my husband leaving me after 34 years of marriage. I was blindsided by it, devastated, and couldn't eat because if I was thin enough he would come back. After months, I realized that he wasn't coming back no matter what so I took a hard look at myself and decided it was me I needed to do it for not him. I am happy to say that I now love the person I am and it is his loss that he left me. I no longer take cholesterol medications or diabetic medications. My heart rate is that of an athelete and I can do anything physically that I want to. I am happier, healthier, more self confident, and more assertive than I have ever been. So I guess I can thank him for that.

The second is my mother who died in 2012 after 10 years of a poor quality of life. In that span, she had broken her right lower leg, her ankle, her femur, and lastly her hip in her right leg. I am convinced that it was do to her sedentary life and being obese which she had been all my adult life. I do not want my 80"s to be like that.
  • LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I have been dieting for weeks/months/years, but what has suddenly forced me to really keep to it is my 9 month old baby! I had fertility issues first time round, and even though I got pregnant naturally in the end (awesome story, but for another time)there is no guarantee that I will be able to a second time. I know that when I do start trying again, the first thing dr would say is, lose 5% of your body weight!! So, I need to lose that extra 20lbs from baby, as well as 5% more.... it hit me I had 3 months to lose that 20lbs (we want to start trying again around his first birthday) so MFP it is.... and for first time in weeks/months/years, it's working!!!!
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    I was 49 years old at the time and 50 pounds overweight.

I started thinking about the 70-year-old woman buried deep inside of me. My future self. She wouldn't emerge for another 20 years, but I realized that her health was largely in my hands. Whether she was healthy, energetic, relatively pain-free, and still living independently would be principally determined by the healthy eating and exercise habits I'm instilling now. I don't want her to be burdened by diseases or other chronic illnesses and just as importantly, I don't want her to be a burden to others. Dr. David Katz, MD, Director of Yale's Prevention Research Center, says that 80% of all diseases and chronic illnesses are due to lifestyle choices. What we eat. How active we are. Adequate sleep. Smoking. Seatbelts. Stress. They all matter greatly.

And with that perspective, it was pretty easy to get my rear in gear and commit to losing the excess weight. Three years later, I am delighted that I made that choice and decision.

"Do something today that your future self will thank you for."

Indeed!

Thanks for the great question, Sue, and congrats on your inspirational success!
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Well, I didn't have that much to lose but I guess what frustrated me was that I was always tired and felt lethargic. Also, my health was falling slowly; I'm sensitive to my body changing so I really felt the side affects even at the small weight gain. Glad I took action right away though instead of keep letting myself go because now I feel great, moving more and eating better. Skin rash is gone; great healthy looking skin, eyes, and hair altogether. This was my first time ever "dieting" but I'm making a commitment for life. I'm never gonna let myself go!
  • mlcdz
    mlcdz Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    What a great question! Thanks to all of you who have posted such thoughtful reflections, especially the OP.

I have been fat all my life. In 2007, the perfect storm of a new full time job and the accompanying stress, a foot injury that prevented me from doing any kind of exercise - even stretching or mild biking put too much strain on my achilles/foot. Because it was a new job, I didn't want to go to the doctor and make them think I was a fat hypochondriac, so I avoided medical care, limped around for THREE YEARS and took too much ibuprofen. I had also gotten so sick of trying to diet. I had done everything (TOPS, WW, Zone, Forks over Knives, etc.) since I was 10 years old and nothing worked, I never really lost anything, but I was sure good at gaining! Because the job was so stressful, I basically sat on the couch when I got home and ate cheese & crackers, or cheese & chips, or cheese & popcorn - noticing a theme? I got to work each week, put in my 50+ hours and basically did nothing else. I missed my kids growing up, did the minimum attendance at events and such, but was too exhausted to spend time with them outside of that, I sat on the couch while they did everything with their dad. I refused to get on a scale, I kept saying it didn't matter as long as I kept my blood sugars under control (did I mention I'm diabetic too?), but now I realize I was in total, complete, blind denial of my situation. I was (& still am) on 9 different prescriptions (about to ask to get off 4 of them), was getting out of breath going upstairs and just being completely irresponsible for my health. You get the picture.

Fast forward to November 2013 - I had joined MFP in 2010, but done nothing but gain the whole time I was on here and barely used it. I claimed I didn't like having people tell me what to do, so just leave me alone. Anyway, in November 2013 I actually got on the scale and realized I was on the other side of 250 and only 35# away from weighing 300 pounds... It was like a lightening bolt. I panicked and started praying to God, my angel team, anyone who would listen to help me find a solution and within 5 minutes, I found 5:2 intermittent fasting on google. I watched the Horizon documentary with Michael Mosley, read dozens of research studies and I started in November the week before Thanksgiving. I have lost 26 pounds so far with, really, a minimum of effort. Two days a week, I have a 500 calorie dinner and the rest of the week, I keep it around my TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) which changes with increased activity, so if I'd exercise more, I could eat a bit more, but I'm working on one thing at a time.

My youngest is going off to college next week :'( but when we went to her orientation, I was able to walk all over campus, hike in the mountains a bit and not get out of breath. I feel awful I didn't find this WoL (way of life) until they were grown and almost gone, but now I know I will be able to sustain and improve this pattern of eating, not feel deprived, make small, healthy tweaks without feeling forced or coerced by a well meaning doctor, dietitian or "friend"/family and I will be around to support them as they start their lives.

So, long story short, it was realizing how close I was to a number on the scale that I never dreamed would be that close AND finally finding something that works for me. I'm still a private person, so please don't be offended if I turn down any friend requests. Right now, just reading about people's stories and successes is helping me greatly.
  • bangbangchoochootrain
    Options
    Everyone has such inspirational reasons, mine seems a little silly. But I'm a teenager so my brain isn't at full capacity yet. Yeah let's go with that :)

For me, it was basically a two part whammy.

Part one: I was on a family trip in June and wearing a pair of shorts (as seen in profile pic) that I had had since Freshman year of high school. I wore them all trip. They buttoned, and they were tight, but I could move in them.

Then the last day of the trip I crouched down to untie my shoes and they ripped up the left thigh. I had always prided myself on the fact that even if I gained about 10 pounds per year, I never had to buy new clothes unless the old ones wore out. I've been a size 12 since Freshman year but in that moment I realized that that couldn't go on any longer.

RIP beautiful shorts that were awesome and I couldn't find another pair of in my size. But that's okay because I decided then that I would start exercising since I was headed to a summer program at a college with a gym.

Part two: I went to the program, and about two weeks in got sick to my stomach. I didn't exercise for that week, obviously. But long story short , I dry heaved so had I burst a blood vessel in my eye, which sent me to the doctor. They didn't weigh me there, but there was a scale in the bathroom so I hopped on, expecting to see little to no change from last year, which was 190. Boy was I wrong. 206. It was one of those special weight balance-y ones so I know it was pretty accurate. Since I had been exercising already, I'm sure it started out higher. I don't know why 190 was okay and 206 isn't but I decided then and there that I was going to stop this before it got any worse.
  • dawnielou2u
    dawnielou2u Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Loved this post....
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    In 2009, I was diagnosed with pseudotumor cerebri (PTC): high intracranial pressure, right at the diabetic threshold (99), low thyroid, mass on my left adrenal gland, UARS (sleep apnea cousin), and blood pressure/cholesterol numbers/heart rate that were still normal, but definitely trending upward from the super-low numbers that are *my* normal. I wasn't thrilled with my weight, but I was also still pretty strong and able to do things - coasting on lifelong fitness, really. Sleep and eating were a complete mess, worse than I'd realized (my doc had me keep a 1-week diary).

But PTC can cost you your sight. I write and edit, and reading is also one of my favorite relaxation go-tos. Yes, there are workarounds for the blind, but at 40 the loss of print would be devastating.

So I made a spreadsheet like any good scientist: sleep, food, exercise. And things got even uglier. Kept waking up screaming, and spending the day feeling as if I was going to crawl out of my skin.

THAT was when I got diagnosed and started treatment for PTSD. Because I was self-medicating with stress. So until I addressed that root problem? I was always gonna find another way to stress myself to the "comfortable" crisis level. One thing I had to address that seems little discussed is how to work out *hard* without that level of stress/negative self talk. It was difficult to separate the two!

It's working. Slowly, but it's working. And when life threw some curves at me a couple of months ago, I did backslide - but not completely and I'm recovering faster. What makes it work for me is knowing that even without crisis-level stress, I'm an active, healthy person, and I'm learning how to treat myself that way without a crisis driving me.