I think this is where I usually get cocky....

Options
I've had a pretty successful first two and a half weeks on MFP. I've done 45 minutes of cardio 6 days/week, and have only gone over my net calorie goal one time, and even then it was only by 100 calories.

To show for it, I've lost 14.4 pounts in 17 days.

As I expected it to, about a week ago, the weight loss slowed down a bit. If I saw a pound or two per day before this, I wasn't all that surprised. For the past week, though, it's been much slower (and more realistic). The last 3 or 4 days, there hasn't really been a loss at all.

But then....
Last night due to scheduling issues, I wasn't able to work out. I was sedentary almost all day.

And this morning I'm almost 2 pounds lower than yesterday morning.

My point: in previous weight loss attempts, when something like this happened, I've become cocky. I figure if I'm staying t he same while working my butt off, and then lose significantly when I'm sedentary, I obviously shouldn't work out as much (yes, I know how irrational this is, but that's what happens in my mind).

Not this time. This time, I start working harder, because the next time I'm not able to have a planned workout, I might not be as lucky when I step on the scale the next day.

Replies

• mjd0109
    mjd0109 Posts: 152
    Options
    Good job! Knowing you stepped out of a bad habit and pushing yourself always feels great! I would suggest taking measurements too though, the scale is not anyones friend but measuring tape will always speak the truth. Keep up the great work!
  • warrior_underdog
    Options
    I hear you...loud and clear. I went from 175 to 155 and was feeling amazing, looking great, and let it go to my head. Soon enough, I was drinking at happy hours left and right, eating as I pleased, and wound up at 165. Now I'm at 162 and eating (well, not...) my humble pie. Congrats on pushing through the urge to say, "Look how awesome I am, good thing that's over" and keeping your progress in mind to help you keep going. Keep it up!
  • LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Good for you. That's the way to stick with it.
  • kendradl
    kendradl Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I understand exactly your thinking, that also happens in my head but I have also learned the hard way. Keep it up and you will succeed :happy:
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    This is how I think too... If I am losing weather I work out or not., then what's the point of working out... then I google "loose skin" and change my mind!
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Just keep in mind that what yuo do today isn't neccesarily going to have an affect on the scale tomorrow. There is usually a few days lag time in there! Just stay motivated and keep moving!!!
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Good for you for recognizing that about yourself and making the change. you're right, it could have been fluke, and might not be so lucky next time. You're on the right track though.
  • ralevin
    ralevin Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    You all make excellent points.
    1. Weight fluctuates day to do. Definitely glad I figured this out a while ago, otherwise, daily weigh-ins would be torture.
    2. Use measurements. That's in the plan; I think I'll "measure-in" the first of each month. So far, I've only had my initial measurements.
    3. Loose skin - crap this scares me. We got an elliptical to help cut out the "I don't have time to pack/unpack/drive to the gym" excuse. Don't have room for a strength training system, and really don't have much time to go to the gym....
  • Dafrog
    Dafrog Posts: 353
    Options
    This is how I think too... If I am losing weather I work out or not., then what's the point of working out... then I google "loose skin" and change my mind!
    now i ave got to go google loose skin, ugh faid of what i am gonna see