Newbie at free weight section

Options
Hi all
Hope I m not abusing forum by posting same old Q, if I do- will stop on this one hehe

So I finally found a good gym and even got 2 free sessions with PT.
unfortunately It didn't go the way I expected.
Was hoping to be taught on good form for squats, deads and press, instead he showed me all machines exercises.

He said since I m weak compound exercises will not work for me.
Suggested to make 3 days split over week without touching barbell at all.

But why??
I can do 3*8 squat with 40 kg ( form is not perfect surely), dead lift 60 kg 1*7
And bench press 25 kg 3*8

I d like to do starting strength workouts :(

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Ignore him and begin the SS routine right now. He's either following the sales protocol established by his gym or he's incompetent. Possibly both.
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Ignore him and begin the SS routine right now. He's either following the sales protocol established by his gym or he's incompetent. Possibly both.

this^^

also if you found a good gym, then look at the regulars in the freeweight section and see if there is anyone there willing to help by giving you pointers, tips on form, etc... most will not come right out and tell you what you need to do to correct form, but they will help if you ask their advise.
  • heysarge13
    heysarge13 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    First off.... that trainer is a complete MORON!!!

You said something about squats deadlifts etc... those exercises are the core of being fit. My suggestion is to find someone at your gym who is Into those types of exercises and make friends with them. Have them help and critique you. Also if you're looking for a good workout based around those exercises, look into the Stronglifts 5x5 program. With this program you only lift 3 days per week and on the in between days you do cardio and abs. Check out this link, it's the program I followed. .. http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
  • scooterjay_wwis
    scooterjay_wwis Posts: 120 Member
    Options

I completely agree.
    He says your weak, well you gotta start somewhere.
    I started lifting with free weights using the Stronglifts program. It starts with the empty bar and goes up from there.
    give it a go, and maybe ask some of the others using free weight s for advice or help.
    Don't give up :)
  • Fit_Jesus
    Options
    When I got certified, I was taught to start everyone on machines no matter what! I personally ignored this school of thought (shhh!), but at the same time understand after training so many people why it's important. It's for your safety. When I first started I had a client who said she was doing crossfit for a year, so stupid me I figured she was more advanced. Wrong! She couldn't do anything right. She was looking at me like I didn't know what I was doing while I was wondering what kinda crossfit she was doing... Nowadays I start everyone at the bottom, but never at machines though, unless it's necessary.

Ask your trainer when you'll be learning the actual functional strength training movements. If it's not in the next couple of weeks, find a new trainer.
  • oksanatkachuk
    oksanatkachuk Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thank u!!
  • oksanatkachuk
    Options
    When I got certified, I was taught to start everyone on machines no matter what! I personally ignored this school of thought (shhh!), but at the same time understand after training so many people why it's important. It's for your safety. When I first started I had a client who said she was doing crossfit for a year, so stupid me I figured she was more advanced. Wrong! She couldn't do anything right. She was looking at me like I didn't know what I was doing while I was wondering what kinda crossfit she was doing... Nowadays I start everyone at the bottom, but never at machines though, unless it's necessary.

Ask your trainer when you'll be learning the actual functional strength training movements. If it's not in the next couple of weeks, find a new trainer.

I m not gonna hire trainer tbh, it's not in my budget. Was wondering i really should go to machines
  • oksanatkachuk
    Options

this^^

also if you found a good gym, then look at the regulars in the freeweight section and see if there is anyone there willing to help by giving you pointers, tips on form, etc... most will not come right out and tell you what you need to do to correct form, but they will help if you ask their advise.
  • oksanatkachuk
    Options
    Thank u all for the support!