What if I am just meant to be fat?

Options

Replies

• Losingthedamnweight
    Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Yes actually! There was a documentary online that talked about the science behind weight loss and how at some point, our bodies are programmed to favor a certain weight. People that have been skinny all their lives are fine, but those that have gained weight and kept it on for along time have a certain weight that their body wants them to be.

That's not to say you can't lose weight. Of coarse! But after being fat, you're going to have to work at this. If I can find that documentary ill link to it. It might've been that one "why are skinny people not fat"
  • Bellodesiderare
    Bellodesiderare Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Like you, I have a very difficult time losing weight. I cannot tell you how many times I plateaued during my journey. I lost my first 25 lbs quickly then was "stuck" for an entire year at 195. Know what worked for me? I've been on a 1200ish calorie meal plan and work out HARD 4-6x a week since November (3x a week was with a trainer...who I no longer need). I've lost of a total of 75 lbs. You can do this. Just never stop trying!!
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Scooter, I don't beleive any of us are designed to be fat. Sometimes it's just damn difficult. But you can do this. You have to beleive in yourself and keep working at it despite the ups and downs. You'll get there. You got this.
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    If you want to see the effect of a starvation diet, just watch survivor. They all seem to lose weight though you can see that some waste away more quickly than others.
  • farmerpam1
    farmerpam1 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    That's something I often wondered to myself, I tried everything I knew how to do and nothing worked. Until now. Forget everything you "think" you know about weight loss.

Firstly your body is made to store fat when you eat at a calorie surplus. This was vital for the survival of our species during our evolution because there wasn't always a guaranteed meal. It's not a curse, it's a biological advantage that doesn't have much of a purpose now that there's a grocery store every few blocks away.

To lose wight, it's a simple matter of calories in and calories out. I don't care how "healthy" you think you are eating or how much exercise you do, you will gain weight if you do not eat at a calorie deficit. To lose weight properly I have a few tips

1. Take the guess work out of measuring your food, measure and weigh everything. Buy an electronic scale that weighs in grams. Call me geeky or whatever, but I have one at my desk at work and one in my kitchen at home, I hate guesswork.

2. If you eat at a restaurant you are essentially guessing how many calories you food contains. Just because a restaurant posts nutritent facts on their website doesn't mean the cook won't be heavy handed on the butter and oils and other ingredients.

3. When you prepare you meals you need to weigh and measure everything. Did you know that if you measure peanut butter that you are actually dong it wrong? Peanut butter and items liek it should be weighed,and the difference in calories when you compare the two are significantly different.

4. Weight loss can be achieved in the kitchen, you don't need exercise. This is true, you can lose weight not going to the gym at all if you eat at a calorie deficit, remember points 1-3.

5. Though going to the gym is not required, it can help improve your general health and help mitigate muscle loss while on a weight loss diet. I don't want you to get into the mindset that you have to bust your butt at the gym in order to enjoy food, that's not a healthy relationship. By picking up a heavy lifting program like Ice Cream fitness (you can youtube it) you can improve muscle strength, mitigate muscle loss while at a calorie deficit and it will give you extra calories to enjoy per day.

6. When recording exercise you need to be careful. My fitness pal is not very accurate in my opinion. If I lift weights, I generally cut the calories by at least 30%. My fitness pal gives you an estimate and it's impossible to know the actual number, but I feel cutting the estimate by 30 to 50% helps. If you over-estimate the calories burnt while exercising and under-estimate the calories consumed in food you are in for a world of trouble.

This is great, but I'd like to add one thing as well. I was hovering at 160 +/- 4 lbs. (being 5'4") for the last year. My trainer suggested that I change the proportions of fats, carbs, and proteins that MFP so nicely breaks down for me. I also have to admit that I wasn't logging all of last year accurately (I did the eyeball method). In two weeks however, being much more careful about weighing or measuring food and trying to carefully stick to my carb/sugar proportions, I lost 8 lbs which I'm still disbelieving so I'm not logging the number yet.

Can it be as simple as sugar and carbs holding on to unwanted wanted, etc.? I'm not sure, but could it be worth a try? Definitely! I'm trying right now and it is so far working.

Or it could be the greater attention to weighing, measuring, and logging.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,561 Member
    Options
    Is this even possible??? Can your body just like where it is and that is why you don't lose? I am so sad that nothing changes despite my effort. I feel defeated. Depressed. Disgusting.
    If this is your belief, then you've already lost the fight. No one is MEANT to be fat. We are products of our environment. Being around and eating high calorie foods that exceed your TDEE will result in excess fat. Reduce it and you lose.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    iIf I had to pick a time period, I would say Ancient Romans probably had the best diet. They had consistent access to food, it was minimally processed, high in good fats (fish, olives, nuts), had plenty of protein (Roman soldiers were required by law to eat a certain amount of meat each day) and I think you'd be hard pressed to find a civilization that was more physically fit.

You just gave me a great idea for a diet book: The Ancient Romans Didn't Get Fat. I'll make millions telling people to brew their own garum and put it on everything.
  • Muzica1959
    Muzica1959 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't believe anyone is meant to be fat. Being overweight is the result of many bad choices over a long period of time. To lose weight, you have to change your mindset. You have to make lifestyle changes, I used to weigh 366 pounds on a 5'2" frame. I ate whatever I wanted whenever I wanted without regard of the damage it was doing to my body. To lose the 100 that I have lost, I have had to do a complete change in my thinking and my habits. Yes, you can lose weight by restricting calories BUT that isn't going to fix the problem. Part of the reason people eat in excess is because their bodies are not getting the nutrition that is so much needed,. You can't get what your body needs from a constant diet of fast food, both restaurant and microwave junk. The best food for our bodies is whole foods, fruits and veggies are my friends. Junk food is my enemy.

Exercise, for me, is a must. Not only does it burn calories, it helps in curbing my appetite and fighting boredom eating. Try out different things. I have found that I love running but that may not be your forte. Try various physical activities until you find one that resonates with you. When you find that activity...work it for all it's worth.

Losing weight is not impossible. Don't buy into the lie that you are just meant to be fat. Get up, get moving, change what you are eating for the better and watch the results.
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    bump! ME too!
  • dmeyers1969
    dmeyers1969 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Lots of good and/ or interesting advice. My first observation - your diary is not open so we can't see what you are doing, therefore, can't really do much but guess. So, be honest and open it up for people to see and provide feedback.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    No, your body isn't sentient. It doesn't think anything.

Drop your calories lower under the guidance of your doctor. See how you do at 1,300 for 4-6 weeks. Nothing changes, drop it down to 1,200 and see what happens after a few more weeks. Keep everything else the same.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I ate a paleo diet last year for 3 months and didn't lose but I didn't gain during that time either. I make good choices and I like healthy food. I also drink a gallon of water a day.

I wanted to comment on this section separately. It doesn't matter how "healthy" the food is you eat, if you eat too much of it and achieve a calorie surplus you will gain weight.

I really don't like the logic of why people follow the paleo diet. The idea here is that if you eat like humans did in the Paleolithic era that you will be healthier like they were. That logic is terrible, first have you even seen a person from that era and thought, man he looked amazing? You realize that people in that era also didn't have a guaranteed meal and had to gather / hunt and kill for their meals as well? Driving to the local whole foods doesn't count as hunting, sorry.

Paleo works in my opinion due to the amounts of restrictions on the diet. You can't go to McDonald's, or eat twinkies and ice cream and all of that jazz. So if you eat fresh meats, veggies and fruits then it's less likely you are going to over indulge. There's no stopping by starbucks every morning for your double double white mocha with extra whipped cream, cavemen didn't have that.

The problem with following a restrictive diet like paleo is it won't last forever. How long can you really last on a diet that doesn't let you have all of your favorite foods? There's nothing wrong with cutting out processed foods from your diet, in fact I wish they would just call it the no processed food diet, but I guess that's too boring. You get really good at eating paleo and maybe even lose the weight you desired, but then you go back to eating like you did before and all the tips and tricks you learned eating paleo are useless now.

Better idea, eat all of your favorite foods and still lose weight. IIFYM is a flexible dieting technique that in addition to watching your over all calories for the day you also track the amounts of fats, proteins and carbs you consume in the day. I love flexible dieting because as long as I reach my fat minimum goal and protein minimum goal for the day I'm doing well, and if I go over those goals its ok, I just consume less carbs. Best of all, following IIFYM is something you can do the rest of your life.

My problem with the Paleo diet is: Why do people assume that cavemen had the best diet? They were scavengers, hunters and nomads for the most part- they were physically strong because they had to be in order to survive. They walked EVERY place they went, ran full blast after an animal and killed it brute strength and stone clubs. Their activity level was far higher than anyone in the modern era and their meals were far from consistent. I just have a hard time believing the Paleolithic era was the pinnacle of human nutrition. I know they say its what man "evolved" eating- but if you look at it truthfully, what man "evolved" eating was different all over the world. In order to stay in line with what your people ate during their evolution you would have to trace your lineage back to the paleolithic era, which would be pretty hard.

If I had to pick a time period, I would say Ancient Romans probably had the best diet. They had consistent access to food, it was minimally processed, high in good fats (fish, olives, nuts), had plenty of protein (Roman soldiers were required by law to eat a certain amount of meat each day) and I think you'd be hard pressed to find a civilization that was more physically fit. But regardless of the quality of food, quantity is what determines whether or not you will lose weight.

The Romans also had epic cheat meals, for example the Satyricon's Dinner at Trimalchio's.

Of course, by epic I don't mean I'd want to join in.
  • fangedneko
    fangedneko Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I ate a paleo diet last year for 3 months and didn't lose but I didn't gain during that time either. I make good choices and I like healthy food. I also drink a gallon of water a day.

I wanted to comment on this section separately. It doesn't matter how "healthy" the food is you eat, if you eat too much of it and achieve a calorie surplus you will gain weight.

I really don't like the logic of why people follow the paleo diet. The idea here is that if you eat like humans did in the Paleolithic era that you will be healthier like they were. That logic is terrible, first have you even seen a person from that era and thought, man he looked amazing? You realize that people in that era also didn't have a guaranteed meal and had to gather / hunt and kill for their meals as well? Driving to the local whole foods doesn't count as hunting, sorry.

Paleo works in my opinion due to the amounts of restrictions on the diet. You can't go to McDonald's, or eat twinkies and ice cream and all of that jazz. So if you eat fresh meats, veggies and fruits then it's less likely you are going to over indulge. There's no stopping by starbucks every morning for your double double white mocha with extra whipped cream, cavemen didn't have that.

The problem with following a restrictive diet like paleo is it won't last forever. How long can you really last on a diet that doesn't let you have all of your favorite foods? There's nothing wrong with cutting out processed foods from your diet, in fact I wish they would just call it the no processed food diet, but I guess that's too boring. You get really good at eating paleo and maybe even lose the weight you desired, but then you go back to eating like you did before and all the tips and tricks you learned eating paleo are useless now.

Better idea, eat all of your favorite foods and still lose weight. IIFYM is a flexible dieting technique that in addition to watching your over all calories for the day you also track the amounts of fats, proteins and carbs you consume in the day. I love flexible dieting because as long as I reach my fat minimum goal and protein minimum goal for the day I'm doing well, and if I go over those goals its ok, I just consume less carbs. Best of all, following IIFYM is something you can do the rest of your life.

My problem with the Paleo diet is: Why do people assume that cavemen had the best diet? They were scavengers, hunters and nomads for the most part- they were physically strong because they had to be in order to survive. They walked EVERY place they went, ran full blast after an animal and killed it brute strength and stone clubs. Their activity level was far higher than anyone in the modern era and their meals were far from consistent. I just have a hard time believing the Paleolithic era was the pinnacle of human nutrition. I know they say its what man "evolved" eating- but if you look at it truthfully, what man "evolved" eating was different all over the world. In order to stay in line with what your people ate during their evolution you would have to trace your lineage back to the paleolithic era, which would be pretty hard.

If I had to pick a time period, I would say Ancient Romans probably had the best diet. They had consistent access to food, it was minimally processed, high in good fats (fish, olives, nuts), had plenty of protein (Roman soldiers were required by law to eat a certain amount of meat each day) and I think you'd be hard pressed to find a civilization that was more physically fit. But regardless of the quality of food, quantity is what determines whether or not you will lose weight.

The Romans also had epic cheat meals, for example the Satyricon's Dinner at Trimalchio's.

Of course, by epic I don't mean I'd want to join in.

I hope that you are aware that the Satyricon is a work of fiction.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    You said your counting your calories and keeping them around 1400? But what are you eating? Are you eating clean? Fruit veg lean protein etc?
    "Eating clean" is a meaningless phrase.
    And it doesn't matter for weight loss if s/he is eating 1500 cal of carrots (just over 8 lb) or 1500 cal of bacon (just over 12 oz), as long as that 1500 cal is below what her/his body needs s/he will lose weight.

That's the problem - s/he is eating more than her/his body needs.
    The reason doesn't matter.
    The solution is to eat less.
    How do you know that someone is eating too much. My tdee per IIFYM calculator is 2432. If Iuse the calculator more it says to lose weight 1860 is my calories.
    how is 500 deficit the magic number, when so many people on here say they've had much success with 1400-1500 calories. It makes me think that my 1860 is ridiculously high, and therefore the reason I've lost no weight.
    You gain weight because you're eating more than your body needs.
    500 cal per day is 3500 cal per week, which is generally 1 lb of fat.
    Ignore TDEE, ignore net calories, ignore exercise calories.
    Find your healthy goal weight (based on BMI), multiply by 10, and you have your total calorie goal.
    The people who are succeeding on 1500 cal probably have an actual need for 2000 cal per day.
    (10 cal per lb is to lose weight. Once you get to a healthy weight, you should eat closer to 15 cal per lb.)
    Maybe I gained weight due to the change of not having the pill. It just doesn't seem like that alone would be the reason for gaining this much.
    You're gaining weight because you're taking in more calories than your body needs.
    It doesn't matter why - maybe you're eating a big mac 3x a day, or maybe your hormones are off so your body isn't burning calories as efficiently.

Exercise is good, controlling calories in is better.
    "Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake. However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity."
    "To maintain your weight: work your way up to 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity, 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity aerobic activity, or an equivalent mix of the two each week."
    (To lose weight, you might need to do twice that much.)
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html

Eat breakfast.
    In fact, have about half your total daily calories at breakfast.

This study compared eating a small breakfast, medium lunch, and large dinner, [200, 500, 700 cal]
    with eating a large breakfast, medium lunch, and small dinner [700, 500, 200 cal].
    "The [large breakfast] group showed greater weight loss and waist circumference reduction ... fasting glucose, insulin [&] triglycerides ... decreased significantly to a greater extent in the [large breakfast] group."
    In addition, hunger was less and satiety was greater.
    Abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23512957
    Full text:
    http://genetics.doctorsonly.co.il/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Jakubowicz-at-al-Obesity-2013-oby20460.pdf

"subjects assigned to high caloric intake during breakfast lost significantly more weight than those assigned to high caloric intake during the dinner"
    Abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24467926
    Full text: http://www.tradewindsports.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Nutrient-Timing-and-Obesity-2014.pdf

"data suggest that a low-calorie Mediterranean diet with a higher amount of calories in the first part of the day could establish a greater reduction in fat mass and improved insulin sensitivity than a typical daily diet."
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24809437

Do you have a realistic goal weight?
    Look at a BMI chart http://www.shapeup.org/bmi/bmi6.pdf and choose something in the green range.
    If you're obese, aim for the hightest number in the green range to start with, then re-evaluate once you get there.

Do you have a realistic calorie goal?
    There are 2 ways to come at this.
    1 - multiply your current weight by 10, then subtract 500 to lose 1 lb per week, 1000 to lose 2 lb if you're obese. As you lose weight, you'll have to drop by 50-100 cal as you hit plateaus. Don't go under 1200 unless you're being monitored by a doctor or you're very short.
    2 - multiply your healthy goal weight by 10. See above about going under 1200.

Ignore "net" calories, ignore exercise calories. Those are a bonus toward losing weight.
    (This is what my doctor told me.)
    Once in a while if you're really hungry at the end of the day, have 1/3 - 1/2 of that day's exercise calories as a snack.
  • _Clarana_
    _Clarana_ Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I think changes can be so gradual and small and slow that they creep up on you. Then one day you'll try something on, or see yourself in the mirror, and see a difference. If you keep at whatever you're doing, that is. So try not to feel too discouraged and keep at it, and remember it's more of a marathon than a sprint.
  • Chibukalu908
    Options
    Give it time.It takes time to lose weight
  • JonnyQwest
    JonnyQwest Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Open up the food and exercise diaries of fellow MFP friends that are where you want to be.....are you doing what they are doing? Honestly are you putting in the blood, sweat and tears they are putting in day after day? I can tell you one thing right now, successful MFPer's don't whine on these forums about how hard it is and woe is me, they redouble their efforts and work that much harder. This is a war for the rest of your life and it will never be easy. Is it worth it? Are you worth it? Of course it is and of course you are, but only YOU can do the work it takes. Now get up and FIGHT!