ugh...girls night

Options
I should be happy and excited to get out of the house, right? I mean I do have 4 kids and it doesnt happen very often. While I am very happy about spending time with my girls, I am not excited about doing it at Red Lobster. Its where we have always gone. I looked up the stuff that we usually eat and drink and their is NO way I can do that. for one of the drinks we used to get (about 3 during the night) is 360 cal! Thats a whole meal for me...lol. So, what do I do? I already decided on the McUltra to drink. But what do I eat? I am not sure if I am that strong to stay away from all temptation but I really want to prove to myself that I can do it. Any thoughts? I was thinking eat before I go and then have a shrimp cocktail with my drink. idk. Any opinions would be helpful.

Replies

• Creiche
    Creiche Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Look over their menu ahead of time, select something that will fit into your budget, and don't even look at the menu when you get there. Trying to get in a good workout, lots of water, and a healthy snack beforehand will help you resist temptation. Also, be upfront with your friends...they should want to support you, and you might even influence them to make a better meal or drink decision!

Have fun!!
  • blakjac6
    Options
    If I were you, I would order off the fresh fish menu. This has the fewest amt of calories. The half of Tilapia has about 250 or less calories I believe. Then as a side, choose broccoli. Healthiest and lowest fat meal you can get :)
  • gavinsmama
    Options
    Srimp coctail is a great idea! High protien will keep you full. Set a realistic goal for yourself of what you plan to eat. Bring some gum and drink tons of water! And make sure you leave your house feeling confident--you can do this!
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I love the Eat This Not That information, so here is the website to check:

http://eatthis.menshealth.com/restaurants/red-lobster

Plan ahead!

Good luck!
  • katzplay62
    Options
    It's Red Lobster-they do fish, right? Find the unbreaded, grilled anything on their menu. If it comes with sauce, have it served on the side. Tell them to replace fries/potato/rice with veg. You're paying for the meal, you should get what you want. Or go with a big green tossed salad with shrimp and have it served with everyone else's meals.

If you're going to drink alcohol (and who wouldn't on girls' night?) start looking for the drinks that aren't loaded with sugars. Almost every mixer has sugar, even tonic water, so maybe something with club soda? And there are sugar free mixer packets you can order online:

http://shop.bariatriceating.com/Zilch-Sugar-Free-Margarita-Mix--10-individual-packets--HOLIDAY-PARTIES_p_174.html

Order your drink as a shot over ice in a tall glass, add water from your water glass and there's a slightly less damaging-to-your-diet drink.

Good luck and have fun!

Kat
  • dspearsb
    dspearsb Posts: 186
    Options
    Avoid the bread! And try drinking lots of water before the meal comes out. I read in Womens Health mag that if you drink at least 2 cups of water before your next meal you will eat less. I've tried it and it works! So sip a few ounces before you leave the house and some more over appetizers. Hopefully you'll have to bring home a doggy bag for the kids to enjoy.
  • necki696
    Options
    Try vodka and water w/ lemon if you need too maybe put a lil bit a sweet and low in it
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    How many calories can shot of ta-kill-ya have? 10_7_3.gif
  • kambria04
    Options
    I would eat a huge salad before I go. Load it up with veggies, hard boiled egg, etc. Easy on the dressing of course. This may help you curb your temptation once you get there, You won't be starving. :)
  • jamie11k
    Options
    Look up the nutritional info on the Cheddar Bay biscuits before you go- that way, you don't think about picking one up! They can wreck a whole day. Good luck, I hope your friends support your goals and you can relax and have a great time!
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Drink vodka- clear alcohol tends to have the least calories. Avoid bread and pastas. Red Lobster was actually voted the healthiest family restaurant in America so it's a great place to go when dieting! Of course there will ALWAYS be bad choices on any menu but just steer clear of those. Fish, fish, fish! Or chicken (no cheese smothered chicken though!). And HAVE FUN!!
  • agoessli
    agoessli Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Another thing that seems really hard when you go out to eat is portion size! You can ask for a to go box before your meal and as soon as your food arrives put half in the box and get it out of sight...that way you won't be tempted to eat most than one serving. This works for me and it's just a suggestion....find something healthy that you like, even if it's not the healthiest thing on the menu, and have one serving. Have fun!
  • emily859
    Options
    haha I actually used to work at Red Lobster and there's a ton of stuff you can get. Order off the "Fresh Fish" menu-- they used to even have a menu called "The Lighthouse Menu" and it had calorie counts of the healthier options. If you order fresh fish, order a half portion, ask them not to brush any butter or oil on it, and a baked potato if you choose to have that as your side, ask them to make sure there's no butter of salt on it. Also, I remember that the fresh fish comes with either a side of steamed veggies or steamed broccoli. The veg medley has garlic butter in it, so ask for the steamed broccoli (which has none). this is what I would eat all the time whenever I ordered a meal. Its well balanced and healthy. Also, for the biscuits (which are crazy high cal) you can actually order a few "dry". This will allow you to indulge a little (they are still good without the butter on top) and you can enjoy yourself knowing that you are not wrecking havoc on your day.

Definitely stay away from the mixed drinks! Light beer (as you plan) or a glass of wine (which I actually think is better b/c it lasts longer since you sip it) is the way to go.

Good luck!
  • irishrose22
    irishrose22 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the advice. I offered to drive so that limits me to one drink (which I did on purpose...lol). I will let you know how it goes. You are right, I can do it. Its all in the planning. Oh and Ill just imagine those cheesy biscuts on my hips, that will help...lol.

Hope you all have a good day!
  • irishrose22
    Options
    haha I actually used to work at Red Lobster and there's a ton of stuff you can get. Order off the "Fresh Fish" menu-- they used to even have a menu called "The Lighthouse Menu" and it had calorie counts of the healthier options. If you order fresh fish, order a half portion, ask them not to brush any butter or oil on it, and a baked potato if you choose to have that as your side, ask them to make sure there's no butter of salt on it. Also, I remember that the fresh fish comes with either a side of steamed veggies or steamed broccoli. The veg medley has garlic butter in it, so ask for the steamed broccoli (which has none). this is what I would eat all the time whenever I ordered a meal. Its well balanced and healthy. Also, for the biscuits (which are crazy high cal) you can actually order a few "dry". This will allow you to indulge a little (they are still good without the butter on top) and you can enjoy yourself knowing that you are not wrecking havoc on your day.

Definitely stay away from the mixed drinks! Light beer (as you plan) or a glass of wine (which I actually think is better b/c it lasts longer since you sip it) is the way to go.

Good luck!

VERY HELPFUL!!! Thanks.
  • barberella
    Options
    I run into this situation a lot. Just last night, it was my friend's birthday and she wanted to eat at a bar we went to. I know this about her, so I made dinner beforehand. Of course, I had a few drinks (Canadian Club whiskey and diet coke is my standard drink), at the bar, and water. The water helps you not get dehydrated from the alcohol, and it made me watch my intake because I can put away some whiskey. But by the end of the night, i only had 3 drinks. And absolutely no food! And beleive me, birthday girl was shoving potato skins and onion rings my way! But I was strong. She also tried to degrade my diet saying it's not worth dieting if you have to give up so much..WHatever..
    If I were you, I would work out a little more on the day you're going out, and lessen up on carbs. Before hand, I would eat at home, and yeah, go with the shrimp cocktail or some kind of shrimp that's not breaded, or grilled, and not slathered with butter..Same with the vegetables. All in all, try to enjoy yourself despite they will be eating what they want. But at the end of the night, you will feel great about it. There will be other dinners; just remember that!
  • irishrose22
    Options
    Well, i did it! I ate really well and drank well too. I did cave and have on of those high cal drinks, but i only had 1 and they had 2. And then I had nothing but water. I alloted myself 1 biscuit and ordered the talipia with broccoli which was really good. It came with a side salad with I ate two bites out of (balsamic vineager) and didnt touch the croutons. I was very proud of myself. Thanks for the support all! and the planning is really what did it. I didnt look at the menu at all.
  • chrish1981
    Options
    Personally, I'd allow myself a cheat meal because it's RED LOBSTER!! LOL.

Exercise a lot that day, and let it be your "cheat day."
  • CarolHudson11
    Options

Bahahaha! I love this because tequila is my "shot of choice".....100 calories/shot! :love:
  • irishrose22
    Options

Bahahaha! I love this because tequila is my "shot of choice".....100 calories/shot! :love:

me too! but i know where 1 shot leads........to the next...lol