Type 2 diabetes

Options
Three days ago, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I have tried many times to lose weight, and many different plans. I have just come back to MFP in hopes of keeping myself accountable. I realize that I am the only one that can make the changes needed to live a longer and healthier life. I am a nurse and for many years have counseled and encouraged patients in leading a healthier lifestyle. I find myself a little angry at me for letting my health get to this point! I am also a caregiver for my aged parents, mentally impaired daughter and disabled husband. If I don't take care of me, how will I be able to care for them?

Replies

• Indygirl_81
    Indygirl_81 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of us on here take care of others before ourselves. Yes, only you can make changes, and you CAN do it! Good luck!
  • emuravyeva
    emuravyeva Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I think many of us (as women and as nurses) take caring for others far beyond what it needs to be and forget about ourselves and how we fit into the picture. I understand that you NEED to care for your daughter, your parents and your husband - that is an absolute given. But you also have to take time out of your day to care for you. Even if it's just a 15-minute walk around the block. Because, just think, what will happen to the people you care for/about if you develop peripheral neuropathy and lose a foot or *insert a scary, debilitating complication here*? If you want to keep taking care of them, you have to start taking care of you. I know it's hard, but you are sooooooo worth it :D
  • Brelynn
    Brelynn Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant with my 4th child - he is now 21, I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes and was told that the chances were high that the diabetes would continue after the pregnancy. Me dad had diabetes and lost parts of both legs, so I was determined to keep the diabetes in check. I went to weight watchers to help get the weight off. I am now a life time WW member, go for daily walks and log on to my fitness pal for added support. So far there has been no diagnosis of diabetes. Best of luck to you.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    If I don't take care of me, how will I be able to care for them?
    This is what drives me. It turned, "I should take better care of myself" into "I MUST take better care of myself".

At first it can be overwhelming, but if you break it down into smaller pieces the change is far less dramatic. Small dietary changes and then incrementally adding in exercise. Over the course of a year you can make significant lifestyle changes.

There's a good support group here that can help you with the transition.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1789-type-2-diabetes-support-group
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse with type 2 diabetes as well, diagnosed last December. It was the push that I needed to finally get serious about my health and making this lifestyle change. I won't kid you, the first couple of weeks were tough as I was afraid to eat anything and not sure what I could actually have. Yes, I absolutely knew what I've told patients for years but it's a whole lot different when it's yourself. Once I got a handle on that, it became much easier.

My best advise is to get active. If I compare 2 weeks where I eat the same things, one week active and one not, I feel so much better and have more weight loss during the active week. By active, I'm talking about walking, riding my exercise bike for a half hour etc, not running a marathon.

Feel free to add me to your friends list if you want to join up and share experiences.
  • blueyedgurl1
    blueyedgurl1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you to all who offered encouragement. It is nice to see that I am not alone in this journeyl
  • losindood
    losindood Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Three days ago, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I have tried many times to lose weight, and many different plans. I have just come back to MFP in hopes of keeping myself accountable. I realize that I am the only one that can make the changes needed to live a longer and healthier life. I am a nurse and for many years have counseled and encouraged patients in leading a healthier lifestyle. I find myself a little angry at me for letting my health get to this point! I am also a caregiver for my aged parents, mentally impaired daughter and disabled husband. If I don't take care of me, how will I be able to care for them?

Learn from the past and move on. No time for regrets -- you've got your life to save.

I started 3 years ago (2 years ago with MFP). You can do it. I know you can. Because -- if *I* can do it, so can you. Believe me. Just start. And start moving more. Whatever it is, find something that doesn't feel like exercise and do it. And then do more of it. You will get there. I was diagnosed 17 or so years ago. I'm down to half a dose of 1 med and I'll be off all diabetes meds.

Good luck with your journey!
  • SamLD88
    SamLD88 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    My aunt was a nurse. I'm 26; she had diabetes about as long as I can remember. She worked nights and let her weight get out of control. She ended up losing a foot, and never recovered. It pained her too much and slowly she fell from a cane to a walker to a wheelchair. We took care of her the best we could, but she passed away in early 2012 due to a complication in her bowel that went undiagnosed.

I loved my aunt, but I watched her fall to diabetes. I'm watching my grandfather walk the same path, although he has a better temperament, and doctors, than she did. It seems like everyone in my nuclear family except me, mom, and dad, have type 2 diabetes. Don't let the disease run its course with you. You have a lot to live for.
  • blueyedgurl1
    Options
    Samdavis88-Like you, all of my nuclear family has diabetes. My mother has lost two sisters, one brother and her parents to the complications related to it. Now it has started in my generation of cousins and sisters. Because most of us has lost a close loved one, we are determined not to let it "claim" us as victims! We will succeed!
  • blueyedgurl1
    Options
    Losindood, thank you for your encouragement. My bs was actually 145 this morning. Not perfect, but much lower! Yay! My vision is almost back to normal and I actually feel better than I have in months. Didn't have to take a nap yesterday!
  • losindood
    losindood Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Losindood, thank you for your encouragement. My bs was actually 145 this morning. Not perfect, but much lower! Yay! My vision is almost back to normal and I actually feel better than I have in months. Didn't have to take a nap yesterday!

Awesome!!!

Mine used to be in that range. Now I'm surprised when it's over 105. My A1C is running about 4.9 these days.

So glad you've made this turn. Keep up the great work!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    b
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    You hit that on the nail. You can't take care if others unless you're healthy first. So sorry to hear about your diabetes, but you know as a nurse exactly what you need to do.

Calories in, versus calories out, simply meaning eat less, move more.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

That is good news. You can handle this.
    Also, feeling better is a great motivator.
  • cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Please make sure you are getting good medical care, from a doctor who is up to date on the latest Diabetes treatments. Everyone is different but you may not need insulin--my mom has type 2 and her new doctor lowered her insulin injections and she lost almost 60 pounds in a year. The insulin was making her hungry and leading to lots of binging and overeating so she just piled the weight on.

She's doing so much better with this new doctor.