Disheartened

Options
I lost 8lb in the first week, but the past few days I haven't lost any weight whatsoever. I have still been active, I actually walked 6+ miles yesterday! It's a little disheartening considering I am trying my hardest.
And while yesterday my weight and BMI stayed the same as the previous few days, today my weight is the same but my BMI has increased slightly. Is this normal?

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Weight loss doesn't happen that quickly, nor in a nice straight line. You're doing great, keep it going.
  • misszoielouise
    Options
    Would you suggest I weighed once a week to stop myself from getting disheartened?
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Stop weighing every day, weight varies because of a number of factors - hormones, the amount of salt in your food, how much water you've drunk etc. Make sure you are weighing (solids) & measuring (liquids) everything you eat and drink. Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit, exercise helps create a deficit but diet is the main driver.

You also need to be realistic - 8lbs in the first week is great but this will mainly be water weight. According to your ticker you have around 50lbs to lose. Set your goal at 1-1.5lbs a week, eat back at least 50% of your exercise cals and realise that its going to take time to lose the weight healthily. Have a read of this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Stop weighing every day, weight varies because of a number of factors - hormones, the amount of salt in your food, how much water you've drunk etc. Make sure you are weighing (solids) & measuring (liquids) everything you eat and drink. Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit, exercise helps create a deficit but diet is the main driver.

You also need to be realistic - 8lbs in the first week is great but this will mainly be water weight. According to your ticker you have around 50lbs to lose. Set your goal at 1-1.5lbs a week, eat back at least 50% of your exercise cals and realise that its going to take time to lose the weight healthily. Have a read of this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

This. You will also along the way, very likely have a week or two where you gain, this happens for the reasons stated above, particularly with hormonal fluctuations (monthly). I am not certain how you are calculating your BMI. It is strictly a ratio of weight to height, so unless your height changed, it will not change unless your weight does. Perhaps you are confusing this with another term?

If the daily fluctuations are going to bother you, staff off the scale. I weigh daily, but I also know that if I have something salty the day before, or I don't drink enough water, or I have worked out hard, or TOM is coming I can expect the scale to go up.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Very normal. In fact it would be abnormal if it was anything else. This is a two steps forward, one step back or sidewise game. I can flux 5 lbs a day based on how much fluids I'm holding...along with how much sodium I've taken it that make me hold water. If you saw my weight report you'd see something resembling the stock markets...lots of ups and downs.

I went from 22% BF last Nov to 5.5 today...if you keep at it...anything is possible.
  • Pinkyallen
    Pinkyallen Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Don't let this get you down. The weight we all lose in the first week is mostly water and there will be lots of variations day to day (especially for us girls!) that are due to fluctuations in your body that are nothing to do with your actual weight. Weigh yourself once a week and be consistent (eg. same time of the same day and before breakfast) that way you will get a more accurate picture of what your weight is doing. Unless your height has changed (???) your BMI is directly related to your weight so if your weight remains the same so does your BMI. If you use the app on here you can't go wrong!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Your BMI can't change unless your weight does... Unless you shrank yesterday??
  • misszoielouise
    Options
    I used the wii to weigh this morning and my weight was the same but bmi had increased
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I used the wii to weigh this morning and my weight was the same but bmi had increased

BMI is a calculation based on height and weight... It only changes when either your height of weight does. Maybe you're meaning something else?
  • misszoielouise
    Options
    I got on the wii this morning and it said no change in my weight but my bmi had gone up by like 2 I'm confused about it too
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    daily is too frequent. check in weekly. u'll go nuts ckng daily.
  • FatJockSing
    FatJockSing Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I got on the wii this morning and it said no change in my weight but my bmi had gone up by like 2 I'm confused about it too

Not entirely sure I would base my diet and exercise plan based on a Games Console reading. Maybe set of body scales would be more reliabe . . . . especially if you ARE actually SERIOUS about this.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    You're expecting too much too quickly.

Remember it took time to put weight on and it will take time to get it off.... Get a plan, stick to it and have patience !!!
  • misszoielouise
    Options
    I bought proper scales for £30 but they are inaccurate so I now use the wii once again because the wii is actually more correct than the scales I bought
  • sdr2015
    sdr2015 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You will go up or down and stay flat. I make my official weigh in day Sunday morning, but I do check in sometimes during the week.