Spaghetti Squash...

Options
I bought one at the Farmer's Market yesterday.

What's your favorite way to prepare it?

Replies

• cog62
    cog62 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    roast in oven. Cut in half bake till not too tender. Let cool a bit, then shred with fork into what looks like spaghetti noodles. Serve with pasta sauce with a bunch of veggies in it. YUM!
  • blacklatina101
    Options
    ^^^^^
    Agree. I usually use pesto instead of sauce.
    I found this recipe on pinterest that I want to try. It's like fettucine alfredo, but instead of fettucine, you use the spaghetti squash. I think you leave it shredded in the skin because the fully prepared picture shows the skin as the bowl (so easy clean up?)
  • SheGlows
    SheGlows Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's really good as a noodle substitute. But, I also love to bake it, seed it, wring it out with cheesecloth, put in a bowl, mix in a few eggs and italian seasonings, spread it on some parchment paper and bake until it forms an eggy sort of "bread." You can top it with pizza toppings, hot sauce, or eat it just like that. So good!
  • Goal179
    Goal179 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Extra lean turkey meat with your favorite sauce (add some fresh tomatoes, bell peppers, onions for a kick). Brush the squash with salt/pepper, garlic and olive oil after you cut it in half. Roast the squash at 375 for about 1-1.5 hours until tender. (this will take some trial and error, to determine the best temp based on your oven) Use a fork to break it into speghetti noodles, then cover it with your sauce. So wonderful. IT's one of my favorites. DOesn't seem to reheat very well for me, so you may want to make a small portion to eat in one sitting.:smile:
  • GardenGirlie
    GardenGirlie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I like it well cooked, shredded and drizzled with olive oil, salt & pepper and fresh parmesan tossed in.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I usually bake it in the oven, seasoned with garlic salt and dotted with butter. I don't add sauces or anything, just eat it as a veggie.

But I will try some parmesan cheese on it next time!

FWIW, these suckers have a HARD shell. I have to zap mine in the microwave for about 5 minutes to get the shell soft/pliable enough to cut.
  • auntiemsgr8
    auntiemsgr8 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's really good as a noodle substitute. But, I also love to bake it, seed it, wring it out with cheesecloth, put in a bowl, mix in a few eggs and italian seasonings, spread it on some parchment paper and bake until it forms an eggy sort of "bread." You can top it with pizza toppings, hot sauce, or eat it just like that. So good!

this sounds awesome

I have only sawed it in half and baked in a little olive oil. then season with pepper and eat as a side

But as the post above says the shell is extremely hard. Be careful when you try to cut it that you don't cut yourself. You don't want another kind of red sauce on your yummy veggie
  • gjprincess
    gjprincess Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I use it for noodle substitute in lasagne. I also do pizza boat, spaghetti, enchilada boats, Cajun spaghetti, and the list goes on. It's very versatile.
  • IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    roast in oven. Cut in half bake till not too tender. Let cool a bit, then shred with fork into what looks like spaghetti noodles. Serve with pasta sauce with a bunch of veggies in it. YUM!

Yup!

Yummyyyyy
  • Annabear3
    Annabear3 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I think it's best when you bake it, but in the summer time here, we do not turn on the oven unless necessary. So I'll use the quick microwave method. It's good mixed with lots of other veggies like peppers, onions and mushrooms. You can add some ground turkey and a little Parmesan for a full and hearty meal that my kids will even eat.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I just bake it in the oven and serve with asiago cheese and ground turkey! Simple yet tasty.
  • mathmatt
    mathmatt Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    During the winter I'll cut it in half (with a really big really sharp knife) and bake it until a fork goes in easily. During the summer I'll do the same but use the grill on the top rack which adds an interesting flavor but you need to spray it with water a few times or it'll get really dried out.

My favorite toppings are to pan fry in olive oil some garlic, kalamata olives, sundried tomatoes, red bell peppers, yellow onion, cermini mushrooms and capers. Then hit it with a little parsley, oregano and red pepper flakes.
  • Limath
    Limath Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Cut it in half, scoop out the seeds, and put it face up in a microwave dish with about an inch of water on the bottom. Cover with Saran Wrap, and cook 10-14 minutes, depending on how big it is.

I shred the noodles & leave in the skin to use as a bowl, topped with sauce.
  • cynthiar1025
    cynthiar1025 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    After shredding it, I add turkey sausage, onions, peppers, tomato sauce and little bit of Parmesan cheese.
  • ch1ckpea1
    Options
    Thanks everyone! All sounds so good...can't wait to make it.
  • Shesalovebug
    Shesalovebug Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Chicken sausage, canned diced tomatoes, reduced fat gets cheese and oregeno.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Clearly you want to make sure to remove seeds :tongue: !