protein

Options
urgley
urgley Posts: 13 Member
Can anyone enlighten me, why is protein so important? How and when should I consume it?
whats the deal with protein powders?

thanks

Replies

• maccaria
    maccaria Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You need protein in your diet to help your body repair cells and make new ones, so as you destroy muscle doing exercise then protein helps build newer bigger muscle

this is a very simple definition and Im sure some one will post the more complex answer
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    yup, what he said, I've also heard it helps reduce DOM after lifting weights. protein also keeps you satisfied longer, which may help reduce over eating :)
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Protein= amino acids= building blocks of life!
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I get plenty of protein without powders, and I don't eat meat, eggs, or dairy. I get mine from nuts, beans, and seeds.
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    You want to make sure you don't lose muscle mass as you are losing weight. Protein is necessary for that.

My doctor told me to spread it out during the day too. She wants me to have 33-36g per meal before exercise. And I try to get it from foods when I can. I use very little of the protein powder.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    All 3 macros are important for our bodies
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Protein powders are used to supplement a lack of protein in your diet... They aren't necessary if you are getting enough from foods. I try to aim for 250 to 300 grams of protein daily; sometimes its difficult with food alone so I'll have a post workout protein shake.
  • waxon81
    waxon81 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I aim for 180g a day of protein and often find that if I don't supplement with powder then it's hard for me to hit. And as stated, powders are there to supplement your diet not replace it, if you can hit your target then powders are unnecessary
  • urgley
    urgley Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, your replies have been really helpful.
    I was hoping that it wasn't unrealistic to get all my protein from ACTUAL FOOD!
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    protein is important whether or not you exercise and whether or not you're losing weight as your body is constantly renewing and rebuilding muscle, and muscle is made of protein. i try and have a good amount with every meal so my body can stay healthy and strong.

i use a fat free, very low carb protein powder and i have it with meals that don't have as much protein as i want per meal. in the 24 hours following a very heavy lifting session, i like to get 120 grams of protein (less on other days), so protein powder works out well. otherwise eggs (or egg beaters or egg whites), lean meats and fish including canned tuna, many soy products including soy milk and gardein veggie burgers, milk products including low or non-fat cottage cheese, non-fat greek yogurt and reduced fat cheese are good sources of protein.
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, your replies have been really helpful.
    I was hoping that it wasn't unrealistic to get all my protein from ACTUAL FOOD!

Plain Greek yogurt is one of the best low calorie high protein foods there is. I mix in soynuts and toasted pumpkin seeds with mine.

Larro