I'm at goal, but am I too skinny now?

Options
I have lost 75lbs, having gone from 235 to 160lbs. As a 32 year old male at 5'9-5'10 (not had an exact measurement but have self measured against a wall at 5'9.5) BMI shows me as having gone from obese down to the higher end of the healthy range. I know that BMI is often trash talked, but everything official such as the UK's National Health Service tells me that it's fine as a rule of thumb if you're not massively athletic (definitely not!) or something extreme like an ethnic minority. But that's not to say I know for sure, but I really need to have something to go by as a guide!

Anyway I feel much better and much fitter, but here's the problem: people keep telling me to stop losing (another 6lbs or so would take me to BMI 22 which was my original goal, but I was taking it leisurely at this point - mostly maintenance, dropping a pound now and then) because now I look too skinny.

It's possible - I've been concentrating mostly on eating less and eating more healthily. I got some basic exercise such as half hour lunchtime walks and a few hours on the exercise bike and/or wii at weekends, gardening etc but have done absolutely no resistance training at all, so I'm worried that maybe the actual problem is that I have a terrible body composition now that is making me appear too skinny.

What do you good people think? Here are a few pics. Do I look bad / unhealthily thin?
(Linked because not everyone wants to click on a thread and see a skinny topless man, I wouldn't think)
EDIT: no idea how to link on this board sorry! Case of using "copy and paste" I guess
Front:
http://files.deryk.co.uk/bucket/2014-08/goal1.jpg
Side:
http://files.deryk.co.uk/bucket/2014-08/goal2.jpg
Side trying to illustrate belly fat: (I still have plenty!)
http://files.deryk.co.uk/bucket/2014-08/goal3.jpg

If so I'm wondering what to do next. I will admit, I could probably do with looking a bit more "toned" for lack of a better word. From googling, it sounds like you can't lose fat and gain muscle at the same time though, or gain muscle without having a calorie excess and putting weight on (and hoping it's mostly muscle). It's very confusing. I don't really want to put weight back on if I can help it.

Halp

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    You seem to be a good weight. Five pounds down would not put you into an unhealthy zone. In your situation, I would start some sort of regular exercise. Riding a bike, walking, joining a gym and using the weight machines are all good options. You'll be more likely to stick to it if you find something that is fun to do.

GoodLuck.
  • junlex123
    junlex123 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Partly it's a case of people being used to you looking a certain way, and having difficulty reconciling your new appearance with their old idea of you. Partly it's that irritating way that our bodies tend to lose fat from around the face much more readily than around the belly, so while you can look really lean with your shirt on, there's still a bit of fat to lose. And yeah, partly it's a body comp issue from lack of resistance training.

In your situation, as you've done next to no resistance training you will see a reasonable amount of muscle gain/continued fat loss even if you eat around maintenance, as long as you choose a decent training program that really stimulates your muscles (the oft-mentioned newbie gains). I'd suggest finding a decent program (something like stronglifts 5 x 5 if you want to keep it simple) and following it for a few months while eating around maintenance, or a very slight deficit.

But still, you've done really well so far and even if with your shirt off I doubt anyone would think you look unhealthy, either emaciated or fat, just a bit soft/unathletic.
  • waxon81
    waxon81 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    My advise is to stop loosing weight. Increasing your muscle mass (even by a small amount) will make a huge difference to your physique. Your a similar age and height to me and weigh 20lbs less, I went down to the 160's once and won't be doing it again as I felt and looked emaciated.

If you don't fancy joining a gym buy a cheap set of weights and follow a basic strength building program like
    Starting strength or strong lifts. Eat at a small surplus so you only gain 0.5 - 1 lbs a week. Don't worry about adding fat as once you have built up a decent base of muscle (noob gains should hit you like a train) you will find you like better for it and will have the option of dropping any excess fat afterwards (at a rate of 1 - 2lbs a week) and looking decent at low bodyfat.
  • Petrusilly
    Petrusilly Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Partly it's a case of people being used to you looking a certain way, and having difficulty reconciling your new appearance with their old idea of you. Partly it's that irritating way that our bodies tend to lose fat from around the face much more readily than around the belly, so while you can look really lean with your shirt on, there's still a bit of fat to lose. And yeah, partly it's a body comp issue from lack of resistance training.

In your situation, as you've done next to no resistance training you will see a reasonable amount of muscle gain/continued fat loss even if you eat around maintenance, as long as you choose a decent training program that really stimulates your muscles (the oft-mentioned newbie gains). I'd suggest finding a decent program (something like stronglifts 5 x 5 if you want to keep it simple) and following it for a few months while eating around maintenance, or a very slight deficit.

But still, you've done really well so far and even if with your shirt off I doubt anyone would think you look unhealthy, either emaciated or fat, just a bit soft/unathletic.

^^This. Also, you should smile more in your pics :). I think there is more loose skin than belly fat, which just takes a while to shrink, and may never do so completely. Either way, a regular exercise program would be the next echelon of aesthetics for you :)
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    I've lost from 240 down to 175, and have also been getting the too skinny comments. I'm 5' 11 3/4" so we are probably about the same size. I had set 173 as my goal weight, but changed it to 176 as I got closer. I've been weight training for about 4 months and can tell a big difference in how I feel. But I do a lot of cardio too, as I'm still a big eater.

I don't think the belly fat will go away without some ab exercises. I picked up an ab-rocker at a thrift store, and it does a good job, when I use it. Thinks like the stationary bike, gazelle or just plain walking are so much easier, that I tend to put the ab work off.

Good luck,

Larro
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the successful weight loss! :)

I'm actually in a similar enough boat to you, in that I'm about 5' 9.5", and also wondering at what point I will reach my goal. Right now I'm 194lbs, and 175lbs is my target weight. I goto to 178 before, the lightest I've ever been, yet remember still having a little bit of belly at that point, so could probably go lower. For now my goal is 175, and will see from there I think.

I'm a bit different in build than you though, as I seem to have retained a bit of muscle I developed over the years, as well as having a broad build, so perhaps about 168 shall be my limit, but to be honest can't even imagine beign 12 stone or lower right now, I guess that is what you get from beign overweight for large tracts of life, lol.

In any event, I would recommend some strength training, to round out your frame. Eating at maintenance and doing some resistance training should ensure you don't gain any fat, just convert whats there to a bit of muscle.

I did gym work before, free weights mainly, and many will recommend that route. I would suggest some body weight training, something I've started and am enjoying. Good luck with however you go! :)
  • callmestephanie
    callmestephanie Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Honestly I think you look fantastic. Some of the belly could be extra skin that will only go away with toning or surgery. But even that I dont' think looks horrible. But, again, to be honest, I like the "skinny boy" look and my own husband looked extremely similar to you when we first got together haha.

But if you're not happy with how you look, certainly keep going. As the others said, start up some strength training and tone up.

Amazing work though! Definitely an inspiration!
  • Remo_Williams
    Options
    You look fine now. Start resistance training if you want to change how you look. As a beginner, you will be able to put on muscle and get stronger while continuing to lose weight. If I were you, I would eat high protein at maintenance calories and hit the weights. If you find yourself putting on fat, cut calories a little. If you find the muscle not coming in, eat a little more. Make monthly adjustments of ~ 250 daily calories until you get it dialed in.

Just FYI - I've got quite a bit of muscle, and when I start to cut down, I get the too skinny comments as well. It does have a lot to do with people's perceptions of you. You would get the same comments from someone you have never met before.
  • derykl
    derykl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow.. I'd address the replies individually but there are more than I was expecting.. thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate all of the inputs :)

Doesn't sound like it's as bad as I was worrying about then (worrying is a habit, and I know where in the family I got that from hehe) and that I've not made a complete pigs ear of my body in the course of shedding so much excess weight from it.

Gyms here are super expensive, I was thinking maybe some ~3 per week body weight exercises roughly based on a "nerd fitness" site I saw (I think it was 15 push ups, 10 squats, 10 lunges, 10 lifts of something heavyish like a milk jug with each arm, 10+ seconds plank, 20 star jumps, repeat the whole set another 2 times - doesn't take very long at all, I was pleasantly surprised) if that would be any good. But I'm sure I can get a gym membership going if need be.

Weight wise I'll call it a day where I am for now, then (it's within the healthy range with elbow room for slip ups) and roughly maintain, not worrying too much about say up to a max of 4-5lbs either way.

Glad I don't look too bad, indeed it is all people who know me and know I've been on a weight loss journey so a lot of it is attempts at a compliment (it's just that a relative also expressed some mild concern earlier). They haven't seen me with my shirt off so I'm not sure how that would alter their perception. I need to try and remember that whatever I look like is a lot better than the beer keg and boobs I had at 16 stone 11 :)
    And heh, yes I usually try to smile in pics, since I was worried I was just keeping it at a neutralish expression :P
  • junlex123
    junlex123 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Guessing you're UK given the NHS reference; there are budget gym chains proliferating which are a lot more affordable than the well established chains (i.e. ~£16/mo rather than £30+) - downside is none of the fluff that the other chains have, steam room, complementary towels etc., but I doubt you particularly care about that. People do have some degree of success with bodyweight programs such as you are your own gym, convict conditioning etc. certainly; I do find being able to precisely linearly progress by just sticking another 2.5kg on the barbell allows me to see results in a way that the less linear progression from bodyweight programs provide though.
  • Steve_Rance
    Options
    BMI is an evil lie developed to try to scare people into 'losing weight'.

If I was any kind of conspiracy theorist I'd say it was a cynical marketing ploy developed jointly by the diet industry (to make more money) and the NHS (to save more money from not treating 'obese people').

I'm by no means an expert but any index that just plots height vs weight without taking into account build type, fat %, muscle %, water %, bone density, and any number of other factors is fatally flawed. Oh, but it's just a guideline for an average person they say - a guideline that says most average people are obese. I'm carrying a bit of extra weight and considered clinically obese, for me to strive to reach a 'normal' BMI would I'm sure be unhealthy.

Normal conversation for me whenever I visit a GP is this:

GP "Jump on the scales, lets check your weight quickly"
    Me "Between 100 and 110kgs"
    GP "My scales are accurate, I don't think you'll be that much"
    GP "Oh, you were right, you carry the weight well"
    Me "Thanks"
    GP "Btw you're clinically obese and really should lose some weight"
    Me "Errr, thanks!"

Oops, turned into a bit of a rant but grrrrrr lol.

Back on topic, well done on the weight loss like others have said I think you look good.

Bear in mind any muscle you build will weigh something and probably up your BMI! :angry:
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Start a weight lifting regimen. You will improve. Good job on your weight loss!
  • persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    well done on the great wieght loss. You look normal to me. I think you are right , toning up and adding more muscle would give you an even healthier look which in long run may lead to you being a little heavier but more solid. For now I would just be really happy with how far you have come. If you want to try and shed a little more wieght before toning up and building more muscle I don't see any harm in losing a few more pounds. If i were you i might book just a couple of sessions with a fittness coach to get some personalised advice.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Start a resistance training program (Nerdfitness, YAYOG, etc.) and reset your goals from weight loss to fitness.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    In my opinion you look to be a reasonable weight but with little muscle mass.
    If I were you I would stick at maintenance now and start weight training.

A your age and assuming you are new to weight training you should be able to build muscle well at maintenance calories, the need for a calorie surplus to build muscle is often over-stated by people that are already well trained and lean by the way.

Remember that what you decide to do now doesn't have to be forever. Give it a few months and see how your body is changing.

If it helps I'm 5'9" (on a good day!) and 164lbs but a lot older than you.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    When you lose weight you also lose lean muscle. I would recommend strength training so that you change your body composition.

Weight is secondary to body composition. I would focus more on building muscle and less on what the scale says.

You have done a great job losing weight, but you want to make sure you are strong and fit, not just lighter on the scale.
  • fwhittaker
    fwhittaker Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    TOTALLY AGREE.

Having lost 45kg previously myself, I experienced those sorts of comments from people. It is strange seeing someone change so dramatically in their appearance. I was at weight watchers at the time and one of the lectures I went to was about that - other people's reaction to you changing. It is very common.

I wasn't too skinny really. Those BMI scales are really quite accurate in terms of mortality indicators. I needed to improve my muscle tone to give myself a more natural shape, and to improve my body fat percentage.

I also got a rather wrinkly face (I was only in my mid 20s) which made me look much older. With time, my skin sort of bounced back a lot and I started looking my age again!

Don't put on weight again because of other people's comments.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Iti is typical for people to who knew you before to think you're losing too much weight.

I htink you look like a naturally thin guy.

If want a suggestion… you could lift weights and add muscle..if you have time.
  • fwhittaker
    fwhittaker Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Sorry I mean I agree with junlex123 and many others.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Gyms here are super expensive, I was thinking maybe some ~3 per week body weight exercises roughly based on a "nerd fitness" site I saw (I think it was 15 push ups, 10 squats, 10 lunges, 10 lifts of something heavyish like a milk jug with each arm, 10+ seconds plank, 20 star jumps, repeat the whole set another 2 times - doesn't take very long at all, I was pleasantly surprised) if that would be any good. But I'm sure I can get a gym membership going if need be.

Some good stuff on nerd fitness, also you might enjoy taking a look at Convict Conditioning, Startbodyweight.com and there's also a great bodyweight resource on Reddit too although can't remember the link. Oh, and one of the users here has a good bodyweight site too at strengthunbound.com :)

In any case you're not giving up much by foregoing the gym option, and in fact probably gaining a few things. Calisthenics (bodyweight exercises) are a great way to go, good luck :)