Homemade paneer

Options
For those who like indian food, but are sometimes worried about the calories in takeout, you can make your own paneer (soft cheese) to mix with sauteed spinach, chick peas, or even curried vegetables. That way you can make easy Indian food at home and keep track of the calories. (I find that's my trouble with takeout yummy ethnic food, I'm never sure of the oil/fat/butter)

so.

Take about 2 litres of whole (yeah, you gotta use whole) milk, bring to a simmer on the stove. Turn the stove to low, add 2 tablespoons of yogurt, lemon juice, or white vinegar. Continue to stir for another minute, and you'll see the curd separate from the whey. Strain through thin cloth (not cheesecloth, too many large holes) over a strainer. Tie up the cloth, put the cheese in a bowl and weight with something heavy. A can, a brick (if you have a brick in your kitchen) After 30-40 minutes, most of the liquid will seep out, and you will have a soft cheese that you can throw in your homemade indian food :)

lemme know if you have any questions. It's quite yummy :) I made some today.

Replies

• Boredboytn
    Options
    Indian food??? I've ALWAYS wanted to try Indian food.. but..well, I live in the south lol. Actually, I live in Hillbilly country. Unfortunately, I don't think, ( I could be wrong) we have any Indian places around here. We are lucky to have Japanese and Chinese. I swear, I think if McDonalds served Soup Beans and Cornbread.. hundreds of people around here would flock to the place.

yeah.. it sucks living here lol.

Thanks for sending a request by the way. I will help you any way I can. I'm still totally bummed over finding out Vodka has something like 64 calories PER OUNCE!!

UGH

Have a good upcoming weekend!!
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    That's great because I love Indian food. You can also use tofu in place of the cheese in a saag paneer recipe, but it definetly won't be the same.
  • cookiejones
    Options
    Me neither. :( Tofu doesn't have that yummy creaminess of the paneer. :(