Half-Marathon Question

Options
So I am doing the Calgary Half-Marathon on May 29th and there is a rule that there are NO mp3 players allowed! I NEED MY iPOD! When I have music I don't focus so much on the run itself and any discomfort. I NEED MY iPOD!!!!!!

Is this a common rule for marathons? They said because its a road race that they are banned for safety reasons but I have done other races on roads where they are allowed. Can I sneak it in?

Replies

• PlatinumPiggy
    Options
    I was able to use my iPod when I ran mine in London. strange that they don't let you???
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Most road races stipulate that you can't have electronic devices/earphones, but I think you can definitely sneak it in (be smart/safe though!). As an alternative, try to find a friend or other "running buddy" that is doing the race too - you can talk to them and it will distract you enough. That's what I did, and it was a huge help.
  • GabrielMaestas
    GabrielMaestas Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    If you sneak it in and place in the top three they will probably disqualify you...
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I know I'm the oddball here, I never run with music.

The one I ran before discourages the use of ipods/mp3's but lets you use them.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I've been in several races where iPods are outlawed. It is for safety reasons and also I feel it is awesome to listen to those around you. Do a few runs with out the music to get used to it. I find that I run faster when i'm sans-music, I guess it is because you can listen to the body's "discomfort" and push yourself accordingly. Good luck! I'll be running a half in 2 weekends and I cant wait. Keep me updated on how it goes :)
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    If your race isn't until the end of May you have lots of time to train without any music.

They post rules for road races for safety reasons and the rules apply to everyone.

Just like when they say no strollers, it means get a babysitter. But you always get someone who thinks it doesn't apply to them.

It's for your safety as well as the other runners. If people are listening to music they may not hear someone come up behind them.

Run smart and think of others as well.

Karen
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't risk disqualification over an ipod. Memorize the songs and sing them in your head, or find new mental focus by telling yourself "just to that tree" or "just past that car".
  • beckyb77
    Options
    I ran in one, the Zooma Annapolis. I believe they were discouraged, but not restricted. I would contact someone in the planning dept. for the race to see if they are flat out not allowed or just discouraged. If you find out that you are not allowed, I wouls start to plan no music for some of your longer training runs. Maybe this is silly and childish, but I would sometimes daydream. I forgot my iPhone a couple times and ran with no tunes! Plan meals in your head, recall precious memories an delight in the rection at the finish line!

You are going to do an amazing job!! Please do not let the no music thing psych you out!!
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    some of the races i have been in have outlawed them -- you'd get disqualified -- and others, its been just fine. When i run on my treadmill, i almost always have music going but when i run outside, i only listen to music occasionally. I agree that you have plenty of training time to run outdoors and get used to having no music. Good luck in your event :)
  • kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will start training without music!
  • lucky48
    lucky48 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've always trained with my ipod just because I get bored but when it comes to race day, they are a big no-no. Most sanctioned races will disqualify you if you are caught with one because not only for safety reasons but because the added cadence supposedly gives an unfair advantage.

I often sing to myself when it comes to race day so it helps to have some tunes stuck in my head that I really like beforehand.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    They usually don't allow it because of their insurance, and I don't blame them.

I train with music but have no problem doing the race without it. I find the cheering and atmosphere more than makes up for the lack of music.

And yes, if you do get caught sneaking it in, you will be disqualified.
  • tiger87lilly
    tiger87lilly Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Yes many marathon runs are a no headphone zone....it stinks! I understand why though. O well
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    Um...

Running outside with headphones covering your ears just isn't a good idea, and I hope that people refrain from doing it. Marathons or even half marathons take place on city streets, and runners have to share the roads with motor vehicles and have to be aware of their surroundings at all times.Track personnel sometimes give out commands or cues that the runners need to know during the race, and it's hard for the runners to understand with headphones covering their ears.

Lastly, I hope that people aren't using headphones while running in public parks because predators are everywhere. It's important for a runner to be alert and confident when on long distance runs. It's not a bad idea to run with a cell phone and pepper spray, but never have a headset attached to your ears. A runner that looks confident and alert usually never has a problem with bad people; but a runner looking like a scared rabbit and shut off to the world around them seems to be the one that ends up hurt, missing, or even worse--dead.
  • freightdiva
    freightdiva Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have done two half marathons so far and ipods not allowed doesn't mean that 50% do not use them! I love my music too and of course I followed the rules but the marathon I am doing in May of this year I am bringing it in case!