Tofu adds up!

Options
So the only way I know how to cook tofu is by adding oil to a pan. The oil adds a lot of calories esp if I have salads with home made dressing for lunch and dinner. Is there any other way to cook tofu or any recipe suggestions?

Replies

• houlee
    houlee Posts: 60
    Options
    If you have firm tofu, you can cut it into "steaks", use a marinade, and bake for a while. Or cut it into strips, season with Mrs. Dash or any seasoning you like and bake. I've also cubed it before and put it into soups.
  • nalia08
    nalia08 Posts: 252
    Options
    I made the best Tofu soup the other day! It can even last two days if you eat the suggested portion size of 1 cup. Makes 4-6 cups with ingredients added. Calories of each cup is max 30 calories!!!!! The only thing is the sodium intake could take you over, so be careful on the sodium through out the day and drink lots of water to help flush it out. The ingredients are listed below:

1 container of low sodium chicken broth (I have also used organic mushroom and beef broth also)
    1 fresh raw bunch of spinach
    1 case of sliced mushrooms from grocery store
    1/2 teaspoon of sea salt ( can be substituted)
    1/4 of chopped tofu (I use the store bought firm brand that is in a square shape, you can use as much as you want as you wont be able to eat it all)

some seasonings of your choice,

I use parsley, garlic powder and chopped onions to add additional flavor,

Bring to a boil, spinach is what takes the longest to cook, about 15 mins, and it's done!

Hope this helps!
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    If you want to try to replicate the way you cook it now without all the excess oil, spray a very good nonstick pan with cooking spray instead of using a bunch of oil, I've done this with good results. Also try marinating it and grilling it, although I recommend spraying the grill rack befor you put the tofu on (actually befor you turn the grill on). Also you can make tofu nuggets by dipping cubes of tofu in seasoned bread crumbs mixed with a little cornmeal or nutrirional yeast and bake for about 30 minutes or so until lightly browned and crispy, then dip in bbq sauce yum!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Check out www.vegweb.com There are tons of ways to cook tofu. Steamed, mashed, boiled, roasted, baked....ect.
  • i_can
    i_can Posts: 11
    Options
    Do you like Japanese food? Silken tofu is great in miso soup. You can buy a miso soup mix, or use this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Miso-Soup/Detail.aspx . There are a lot of Japanese recipes that are along the lines of chilled tofu + sauce.

On a more general note, you can also bake firm tofu. I often first marinade the tofu in a sauce (teriyaki, curry, lemon & pepper). I just put it in the oven at 350F for about 20 minutes.
  • canoekayak
    Options
    you could just go to google and ask about other ways to cook or ways to make food dishes with Tofu...:happy:
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    you could just go to google and ask about other ways to cook or ways to make food dishes with Tofu...:happy:

Yes I have done that and all the recipes I saw involved the oil and pan
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    I made the best Tofu soup the other day! It can even last two days if you eat the suggested portion size of 1 cup. Makes 4-6 cups with ingredients added. Calories of each cup is max 30 calories!!!!! The only thing is the sodium intake could take you over, so be careful on the sodium through out the day and drink lots of water to help flush it out. The ingredients are listed below:

1 container of low sodium chicken broth (I have also used organic mushroom and beef broth also)
    1/4 of chopped tofu (I use the store bought firm brand that is in a square shape, you can use as much as you want as you wont be able to eat it all)

Bring to a boil, spinach is what takes the longest to cook, about 15 mins, and it's done!

Hope this helps!

OMG this sounds amazing. I will have to try that!!!!!
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    Do you like Japanese food? Silken tofu is great in miso soup. You can buy a miso soup mix, or use this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Miso-Soup/Detail.aspx . There are a lot of Japanese recipes that are along the lines of chilled tofu + sauce.

On a more general note, you can also bake firm tofu. I often first marinade the tofu in a sauce (teriyaki, curry, lemon & pepper). I just put it in the oven at 350F for about 20 minutes.

Sounds good. I might have to taste athentic Miso Soup b4 I try and make it lol.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    i like to make tofu parmigiana.
    make it just like you would chicken parmigiana, only use tofu "steaks". Its super yummy!!!

here's the recipe:
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/tofu_parmigiana.html
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    make it just like you would chicken parmigiana, only use tofu "steaks". Its super yummy!!!

here's the recipe:

You are amazing!!
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options

here's the recipe:

You are amazing!!

*takes a bow* thank you darlin' ha ha :flowerforyou:
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options

Hope this helps!

OMG this sounds amazing. I will have to try that!!!!!

Do I pre cook the tofu? How is the texture of the tofu in the soup? hard soft?