Maintain? Or lose?

Options
I'm 21, female, small boned, 5'2"20, and weigh 132 currently. I have a big belly for some...sigh....stupid, curse of the universe like reason. But my legs and arms are quite thin and where I want them to be.

I'm uncertain, and this is just talking about the number on the scale, of wether I should lose more, or tone up.

I know its personal. Or it should be. But I'm a bit confused here. In YOUR humble opinion, should I lose? Or maintain?

Replies

• jerarant
    jerarant Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sadly, we don't get to choose where our fat ends up on our bodies (as if!), but the stats you gave seem to put you in a reasonable spot as far as "healthy" weight goes. Personally, I"d recommend hitting the gym and starting a weightlifting routine. Do heavy compound movements 3-5x a week. Also, keep your calories at maintenance level, if not 100-200 calories over. I think you'll be pretty happy with the results if you keep it up for a while. Cheers!
  • FlowerFairy493
    Options
    Sadly, we don't get to choose where our fat ends up on our bodies (as if!),

I know right! And the worsed part is, as I lost weight my boobies got smaller, they are now smaller than my belly which makes it stand out even more! :noway: :laugh:
  • SamLD88
    SamLD88 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Sadly, we don't get to choose where our fat ends up on our bodies (as if!),

I know right! And the worsed part is, as I lost weight my boobies got smaller, they are now smaller than my belly which makes it stand out even more! :noway: :laugh:

That is literally my worst fear. My boobs hold all of the power over my fiance...
  • FlowerFairy493
    Options
    I have a big belly for some...sigh....stupid, curse of the universe like reason.
    That is literally my worst fear. My boobs hold all of the power over my fiance...

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll keep yours, afterall the universe has cursed me! :laugh:
  • FlowerFairy493
    Options
    Any other opinions? Or just these two?
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I think if you're questioning losing more weight then it may be a good idea to maintain and lift or lift at a slight surplus(the fore mentioned 1-200 small surplus) I've even heard of eating at a slight deficit on off days and slight surplus on lifting days to maintain while doing a good slow recomp
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I would follow what jerarant said, but I would also take a look at how much carbs I'm consuming and would look at cutting my carbs down. I would also look into cardio i.e. running or walking. I have a friend who had your problem (she liked being a bit overweight for the bigger boobs lol) and she cut her carbs and walked at least 5 miles per day. She was able to take that stubborn belly off. Also, check your sodium levels. Hope this helps! :)
  • FlowerFairy493
    Options
    I would follow what jerarant said, but I would also take a look at how much carbs I'm consuming and would look at cutting my carbs down. I would also look into cardio i.e. running or walking. I have a friend who had your problem (she liked being a bit overweight for the bigger boobs lol) and she cut her carbs and walked at least 5 miles per day. She was able to take that stubborn belly off. Also, check your sodium levels. Hope this helps! :)

I do walk 5 miles a day, that's my cardio. :)

And generally, I'm always under on mfp's recommendations for carbs. I just focus solely on protein and fat. The rest kind of falls wherever it falls. Oh and I'm not big on sodium...no I'm actually eating too little salty things, hence me having low blood pressure. eh. :-/ And still have this blasted belly! I tell you its a universe curse.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Or maybe it's just bad posture?
  • FlowerFairy493
    Options
    Or maybe it's just bad posture?

Not sure. I walk really straight up...it almost looks as if my back is making an arch. And the arch gets worse when I lay down on a straight surface. My brother has asked me many times if it hurts and it doesn't.

I know one's views can become distorted as you lose. but for me...well let's just say it's highly noticable. maybe I should post a pic?
  • svettybear
    svettybear Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sadly, we don't get to choose where our fat ends up on our bodies (as if!), but the stats you gave seem to put you in a reasonable spot as far as "healthy" weight goes. Personally, I"d recommend hitting the gym and starting a weightlifting routine. Do heavy compound movements 3-5x a week. Also, keep your calories at maintenance level, if not 100-200 calories over. I think you'll be pretty happy with the results if you keep it up for a while. Cheers!

Yes, I agree with this. In more detail, compound lifts such as squats and dead lifts actually really help strengthen your core, even though one might think they're mainly a workout for legs, but they help to stabilize the core. Try lifting heavy weights where you get exhausted/barely able to reach between 5-10 reps, 3 sets of each exercise.

I'm fairly certain people are able to get flatter stomachs (assuming they aren't overweight) through strength training. If you eat at maintenance, you'll still be able to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time (body recomposition), but it'll be a very slow process....The plus side, you don't gain as much fat if you were to eat above maintenance.
  • FlowerFairy493
    Options
    20140811_091001-1_zpsdgc5jwpf.jpg

I told you it was bad....just look at it! urgh :noway:
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    if you think its 'urgh' then you need to lose more fat... IMO you need a small deficit and a decent strength training routine.
  • FlowerFairy493
    Options
    if you think its 'urgh' then you need to lose more fat...

Does that mean you don't think so? Is it just me then?

ETA: I'm sorry if this is a weird question. But I've seen people who don't stop because they can't see themselves as they really are. They still see the fat person and nobody else sees that...

I just don't want to be one of them...
  • TavistockToad
    Options

why does it matter what a random internet stranger thinks?
  • FlowerFairy493
    Options

why does it matter what a random internet stranger thinks?

I read your mind and edited that post :tongue:
  • FlowerFairy493
    Options
    Also one more thing I forgot to add to an earlier post...I said I was always under on carbs. That being said, I eat something sugary sweet everyday. I don't eat bread. I rarely eat potatoes. (There's nothing wrong with them, but I've never eaten much of them)

The little carbs I get are from veggies, one bowl of oatmeal and that one sweet thing. And a small amount from my protein shake.

I never thought I'd say it, and I wish I wouldn't, so please tell me I'm wrong on this one....Is it because of that one treat?!
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Also one more thing I forgot to add to an earlier post...I said I was always under on carbs. That being said, I eat something sugary sweet everyday. I don't eat bread. I rarely eat potatoes. (There's nothing wrong with them, but I've never eaten much of them)

The little carbs I get are from veggies, one bowl of oatmeal and that one sweet thing. And a small amount from my protein shake.

I never thought I'd say it, and I wish I wouldn't, so please tell me I'm wrong on this one....Is it because of that one treat?!

unless you're sensitive to carbs, it doesnt matter how much you eat, if you're in a deficit you'll lose weight.