Not getting enough fat

Options
My macros are 50% carbohydrates, 30% fat and 20% protein.
I never meet my fat "goal". Is that a problem?

If it is, what kind of foods contain good fat and don't have too many calories?

Replies

• mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Naturally fat has a lot of calorie, you won't find something with a lot of good fat without the high calories. ..

I like avocado, try to add a quarter or half of it in salad, keep the milk with 1 or 2 % fat instead of skim, same goes for yogurt or cheese. Don't just eat egg white, a whole egg have good fat in it, etc...

The problem is that very often low cals option have less fat and more sodium and sugar instead. Work around the regular food instead of eating much of the low calorie food.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    nuts and nut butters, avocadoes, whole eggs, whole fat dairy, olive oil and olives
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    All fats are good for you, with the exception of trans fats. Yes, that even means saturated fat has good qualities, despite all the demonisation of it in the past. In fact, with a lot of the stuff in processed foods, you may need to watch the amount of polyunsaturated fat you're taking in, as there may be a lot of it already in your diet unbeknownst to us.

In any event, re: your macros, I wouldn't worry too much about your carb and fat macros unless you need to keep one to a certain level for some reason. Fat & carbs provide the energy for your body, so unless you need high carbs because you do intense cardio, or low carbs because you're restricting your carbs, its all fuel and wouldn't worry about the individual levels of each.

The way I see it, carbs are good when your body needs fuel for intense exercise, and fat is good for making you full, as well as all the other associated benefits and needs of fat for your body. Thus the stereotype of a high carb diet tending to suit someone like an athlete, and a high fat diet tending to suit someone more sedentary and who cannot control their intake so easily when eating a higher carb diet.
  • Bogditzy
    Bogditzy Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    nuts and nut butters, avocadoes, whole eggs, whole fat dairy, olive oil and olives

^this
  • mvg421
    mvg421 Posts: 27
    Options
    peanut butter!
  • MaidensAndMonsters
    Options
    Peanut butter, Avacado, Quest Bars, Pumpkin Seed....
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about what you eat because I exceed my fat almost daily
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Eating too little dietary fat can cause problems, particularly in a deficit. How many grams are you eating per day? How much do you weigh? Are you in a deficit? It's necessary to know all of those things to determine if you are getting enough dietary fat.

Avoid obsessing about good fats and bad fats. Have some bacon and eggs, full fat dairy, and ice cream now and then.

Also avoid obsessing about calories. High fat foods are high calorie foods. A balanced diet has room for fat.
  • NewMeowLean
    Options
    Thank you for your answers.

I'll eat normal yoghurt instead of light and add olive oil to my diet. I cooked a lot with olive oil but I stopped because it has so many calories. Avocado is also a good idea.

As for what I eat, I absolutely love pasta, rice, bread and all kinds of sugary stuff. So in order to eat those and meet my protein goals I've cut back on cheese, butter, oil and eat steamed vegetables and grilled meat.

Today I ate enough fat, but less carbs and I was HUNGRY. So fats don't keep you full?
  • NewMeowLean
    Options
    I'm 65 kg, and 165 cm which translates to 143 pounds and 5'4 (?). MFP says I should eat 45 g of fat a day. I am eating around 35 g of fat a day.

I am eating at a deficit, my goal is 1350 kcal a day (TDEE - 20%) but I almost always go over so I am mostly eating at 1600 kcal a day which is fine with me.
  • NewMeowLean
    Options
    Peanut butter is such an American food. :) I'm not even sure I can get it here (Switzerland).
  • MaidensAndMonsters
    Options
    Peanut butter is such an American food. :) I'm not even sure I can get it here (Switzerland).

Well then I guess I can never move to Switzerland lol. I LOOOVE peanuts butter!