Debate: calorie reduced diet or weight lift/body fat

Hi Everyone,

So I need some advice here. I want to lose 60 pounds. I'm almost 5' 6" (5' 5".5) I want to be tight and sexy and I increasingly believe that building muscle mass is the key to long-term weight loss as well as the best way to the best shape.

That said, I am keen to lose weight quickly. I really need to lose the first 30 in a prompt (healthy) manner and I'm so uncomfortable I'm not ready to go to a gym in spandex and left weights. I've ordered an eliptical cross trainer for my bedroom with the plan of waking up and working out every morning so that I can start the day off with a calorie deficit and so that I have my workout over with. Then after a bit I'd like to add a few classes in the evenings to add to the eliptical for toning and strength. I lost 3 pounds this week counting calories with MFP eating 1400-1600 a day with some workouts to burn off some cals.My only concern is that I"m worried the calorie deficit may be ruining my metabolism as so many people who promote eating more and lifting argue. I'm also worried that losing weight with endurance workouts and low cal will lead to loose saggy skin and will eventually plateau because my metabolism will be blown.

What is the best way? I don't want to do low calorie diet and end up all flabby and exhausted but every time I've tried just eating clean I don't lose any weight or worse, without counting cals I seem to gain. I think I'm the sort of person who needs accountability and I need the flexibility to have a glass of prosecco now and again.

I just feel stuck between these two opinions that seem to both have very valid points and I would really appreciate any wisdom that could help me decide. Should I lose the first 30 with endurance and low cal and then switch to weight lifting and eating more?

Thank you!

Replies

• I'm pretty foggy brained right now from a workout but I will pose one question. Why do women feel the need to go to the gym in spandex. I mean, if that's what you are most comfortable in, more power to ya. I have no problem with girls working out in bra and panties if it helps them feel comfortable enough to lift (I will, I have to admit, have to put blinders up so I can focus ;) ) but it, by no means, is a requirement to wear skin tight clothes in the gym. Guys manage to wear loose shorts and a T-shirt and do fine.,
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    I was always told to do both? Eating at a deficit means you probably won't build muscle (or at least not in a major way), but lifting on a deficit can still help keep your muscles active, and keep skin in good shape. A deficit doesn't ruin your metabolism unless it's freaky low, as far as I'm aware.

I know I'm not the best source of info, but I have lost more weight than shows on MFP from before I joined. I do both cardio, a deficit, and strength, and I feel fantastic all around. I've lost inches, but no skin issues yet.
  • mayfrayy
    mayfrayy Posts: 198 Member
    It's always better to have a deficit and weight train than the same deficit with cardio. You will retain more muscle mass. Cardio just burns more calories so it is easier to have a higher deficit. There is a very little chance of doing anything negative with your metabolism as you are eating a decent amount. If anything your metabolism will get better (bmr increase) because you will likely gain some lbm (which is really the only thing that changes your BMR, online calculators without real BF as a variable are very bad).

Best way, do resistance training, then some cardio, while maintaining whatever deficit you deem appropriate (a target of 2lbs a week would not be bad with that much fat to lose).

When you get closer to your goal body fat percentage, increase energy intake slowly. The lower your deficit is the better as you will begin to build more muscle (yes even in a small deficit, FFA's provide energy when fat is broken down).
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    Hi Everyone,

So I need some advice here. I want to lose 60 pounds. I'm almost 5' 6" (5' 5".5) I want to be tight and sexy and I increasingly believe that building muscle mass is the key to long-term weight loss as well as the best way to the best shape.

That said, I am keen to lose weight quickly. I really need to lose the first 30 in a prompt (healthy) manner and I'm so uncomfortable I'm not ready to go to a gym in spandex and left weights. I've ordered an eliptical cross trainer for my bedroom with the plan of waking up and working out every morning so that I can start the day off with a calorie deficit and so that I have my workout over with. Then after a bit I'd like to add a few classes in the evenings to add to the eliptical for toning and strength. I lost 3 pounds this week counting calories with MFP eating 1400-1600 a day with some workouts to burn off some cals.My only concern is that I"m worried the calorie deficit may be ruining my metabolism as so many people who promote eating more and lifting argue. I'm also worried that losing weight with endurance workouts and low cal will lead to loose saggy skin and will eventually plateau because my metabolism will be blown.

What is the best way? I don't want to do low calorie diet and end up all flabby and exhausted but every time I've tried just eating clean I don't lose any weight or worse, without counting cals I seem to gain. I think I'm the sort of person who needs accountability and I need the flexibility to have a glass of prosecco now and again.

I just feel stuck between these two opinions that seem to both have very valid points and I would really appreciate any wisdom that could help me decide. Should I lose the first 30 with endurance and low cal and then switch to weight lifting and eating more?

Thank you!

First off, the idea of 'eating clean' is really problematic, because eating healthy includes treating yourself every now and then (which i'm doing right now - with some wine - so excuse any grammatical errors and whatnot in this post). Also, clean eating has no clear definition that i've come across thus far.

Secondly, you're much better off doing a bit of cardio, combined with a bit of muscular training, and a calorie deficit in your diet. You don't have to put yourself on a super-low-calorie diet (of 1,200 calories for example), but DO look up your BMR, to see what you should be consuming if you would like to be losing weight. You don't have to chose between one or the other: you can eat a calorie deficit AND exercise, as long as you aren't restricting so heavily that you can't exercise without risking your health (make sure you're getting adequate carbohydrates and protein for those workouts too).

Also remember that having more muscle means you burn more calories, so don't neglect your resistance training! Eating a bit more to build some muscle would benefit you more so than doing strictly cardio on an elliptical machine, since it would mean you build muscle - which burns more calories throughout the day - and therefore lose more weight. It may also help you to track your measurements (in inches and such) more than your weight, since you're aiming to be toned more so than to lose weight!

Why don't you loosesly count your calories, track your macronutrients too, and exercise accordingly?
  • AriFit12
    AriFit12 Posts: 10
    This is not going to sound very scientific or data based, but my advice is to do the physical activity that you most enjoy doing. If you enjoy it, you'll stick with it. And that's the best exercise plan of all, IMHO.
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Hi! I am 5'6" as well, and I lost 60lbs over the course of a year, so I'm just speaking from my own experience.

Calorie counting is your friend, and is the king of weight loss. It's possible you don't have to eat as few as 14-1600 calories a day (if that really makes you miserable, you could try and up your intake); I'd even say to maintain muscle mass and general health, it's helpful to aim to lose by eating as CLOSE as you can to your maintenance, maybe only 2-400 under your TDEE. But whatever your intake, you should make a habit of weighing and measuring your food, and mostly saying "no" to things which will put you over your daily goal (but if there's cheesecake, eat that. Don't look back and think "I could've eaten that damn cheesecake")

You're right that you don't want to just lose weight and be flabby, and starting strength training like body weight training in addition to your cross trainer NOW will help with that! It maintains the musculature while your body is in a deficit. Also, keeping your protein intake up will help guarantee that the weight you lose will be mostly fat, not muscle or bone (I did not prioritized protein and am still trying to overcome my "skinnyfat").

When I started losing, I lost a steady 3-4lbs a week. I had slashed my calories and started powerwalking 2 miles every night. That lasted for about 17 lbs, then it slowed down but continued as I added in some bodyweight stuff. Whatever exercise you choose will be beneficial.

Lastly, I wouldn't worry about losing quickly. The most important thing is losing fat, and that doesn't always show up on the scale as it occurs -- often masked by water retention, etc.. Don't lose precious, precious muscle by eating too little just to change that number. It's not worth it in the long run.

Best of luck! :drinker:
  • WombatHat42
    WombatHat42 Posts: 192 Member
    A lot of trainers seem to agree now that it is better for weight loss to do interval training rather than endurance(by which I assume you mean long distance at a steady pace). And when I was able to workout I noticed more gain(lose of lbs) in 2 weeks than I did running 1.5 miles everyday. If I were you I would do 20 minutes in the morning on your elliptical warming up 5 of that then sprint 30sec and walk 2-2.5min repeat that til 20min has been reached and every two work outs increase the sprint length or number of sprints by about 2%.

As long as you lose your weight at a health rate you shouldnt have sagging skin, and if you do it should shrink back over time and adding muscle I would assume would help that.

The only thing I can tell you about the calories is be 100% honest about your activity level(use a stopwatch and record how many minutes you walk and find out the exact distance to figure out your speed) that should give you the right amount of needed calories. Then weigh EVERYTHING, and I would do it raw weight and record EVERY crumb you add(ie salt ketchup sugar flour etc - those little things people forget/ignore)

It sounds like you have a plan and have done some research and that is where it starts. Now it is a matter of DOING.

If you are afraid of going to the gym(or self conscious) that is fine, everyone has their own issues dont be worried. Just use your eliptical or walk around the block for your cardio and do body weight exercises at home if you dont have weights. Body squats, push ups, ab work, dips, pull ups are all stuff that can be done at home and need no additional equipment(dips will need a sturdy area though same as pull ups).

Set a long term goal for yourself(12month goal) a medium goal(1 month) and a weekly goal for everything. ie 3x10 lady pushups week 1 then by week 1 month 2 try and do 3x10 normal(just numbers play with what you find challenging but not impossible) do the same with your cardio(5 sprints week 1, 8 sprints week 2 etc). It might be better to not set up a goal weight to lose each week because of plateaus and you might get discouraged perhaps instead do 2 week or 1 month. but try and weight 1x each week at the same time wearing the same outfit and record that.

Dont get discouraged, everything is trial and error, if one thing doesnt work after 3-4 weeks change it up a bit and see if anything changes.

The first time I started trying to lose weight I lose a bunch of lbs by cutting out pop and fast food. I was completely shocked how much I lost the first month - kept the same weight/cardio program as I did for football and dropped almost 20 in 5 weeks.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Hi Everyone,

Thank you!
    If you don't want to lift weights, don't lift weights.

Do what works for you. :)
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    I'm pretty foggy brained right now from a workout but I will pose one question. Why do women feel the need to go to the gym in spandex. I mean, if that's what you are most comfortable in, more power to ya. I have no problem with girls working out in bra and panties if it helps them feel comfortable enough to lift (I will, I have to admit, have to put blinders up so I can focus ;) ) but it, by no means, is a requirement to wear skin tight clothes in the gym. Guys manage to wear loose shorts and a T-shirt and do fine.,

You don't need to lose weight before you go to the gym.

Just put on something you can move in, and go. When I started going to the gym I went in a tee-shirt dress and leggings, because that's what I had that both fit and covered all my 'wobbly' bits.

Since then, I've purchased myself expensive lycra leggings when I slimmed down to their biggest size.

If you want an elliptical at home, get one, but don't do it so that you can lose weight before joining the gym.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    You're setting up a false dilemma. People who advocate lifting do not say that calorie deficit ruins metabolism. It's not cardio OR lifting, and it isn't lifting OR calorie deficit. You want a moderate deficit (not an extreme one) and lifting (or other resistance training) to preserve your muscle. With 60 lbs to lose you can aim for 2 lbs per week for awhile, but once you're under 50 lbs to go you want to change to 1 lb per week.. Aim for 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass. Some cardio is good, especially if you want to be able to eat more.

Skin sagging is at least partly genetics and partly age. I'm not sure whether losing more slowly actually helps prevent sagging or if it just gives your skin more time to bounce back. But I know some people who did things "wrong" who don't have any loose skin and people who are doing everything "right" who do have some. Just keep in mind that even if you have some at first it'll improve with time.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Also you don't have to go to the gym in spandex and you don't need to lose weight before you start going. Just wear something comfortable that will allow you to move. I started out in sweats.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    OP, you can do both. in total i have about 50 pounds to lose. i'm also (right now) eating at a low enough calorie intake to lose 2 pounds a week but that will change once i'm 30 pounds to goal.

there isnt 1 way to do it , just find what works for you, what fits your goals and what you can live with. i know there are plenty of ladies on here who are lifting on a less aggressive deficit and when i lost the first 30 pounds that was how i did it (averaging a pound a week). for me i'm nowhere near deprived from food (i eat 1700-2000 calories on average) BUT there has been a trade off workout wise.

the trade off is that I can only have 1 session a week where I'm truly pushing myself strength wise. the other 2 days of strength training i just work at 70-80% of my max and add in fun stuff like turkish get ups, plate pushes, oly lifts, etc. On the non lifting days i'm working on cardio conditioning via running, swimming, rowing.

I'm pretty foggy brained right now from a workout but I will pose one question. Why do women feel the need to go to the gym in spandex. I mean, if that's what you are most comfortable in, more power to ya. I have no problem with girls working out in bra and panties if it helps them feel comfortable enough to lift (I will, I have to admit, have to put blinders up so I can focus ;) ) but it, by no means, is a requirement to wear skin tight clothes in the gym. Guys manage to wear loose shorts and a T-shirt and do fine.,

cant speak for anyone else but for me it's because sweatpants dont have moisture wicking.

also for some us working out in baggy clothes is not comfortable as well as gets in the way of the workout. for instance if im being annoyed by my baggy, heavy cotton tee bunching up around my shoulders while i'm do turkish gets ups then i'm not going to be able to focus on good form; if my loose shorts start to fall down while i'm sprinting or doing plate pushes then that takes me out of the workout and could potentially cause an injury (ever trip while sprinting? i have. it's not good). power clean or clean jerk day: my clothes need to be as close to my body as possible otherwise clothes get in the way and and you end up with the the bottom of your baggy tshirt in your catch which would suck if you were then supposed to be jerking that bar overhead.

sorry to say it like this, but if my workouts were simply about jumping on an elliptical or stationary bike here, doing some static lunges and tricep kickbacks there then yeah i could probably get away with wearing baggy clothes with no moisture wicking.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    OP: I'm doing a deficit while lifting. It works for me and is slow going. I have another 27 lbs to meet my first goal. It can be done.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member

With my hips and butt I can dress like a nun and men will still notice my assets. But don't worry...I'm NOT looking at you unless your FORM his horrible and you're lifting too much. :glasses:
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member

You don't need to lose weight before you go to the gym.

Just put on something you can move in, and go. When I started going to the gym I went in a tee-shirt dress and leggings, because that's what I had that both fit and covered all my 'wobbly' bits.

Since then, I've purchased myself expensive lycra leggings when I slimmed down to their biggest size.

If you want an elliptical at home, get one, but don't do it so that you can lose weight before joining the gym.

You missed something.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    OP, you can do both. in total i have about 50 pounds to lose. i'm also (right now) eating at a low enough calorie intake to lose 2 pounds a week but that will change once i'm 30 pounds to goal.

there isnt 1 way to do it , just find what works for you, what fits your goals and what you can live with. i know there are plenty of ladies on here who are lifting on a less aggressive deficit and when i lost the first 30 pounds that was how i did it (averaging a pound a week). for me i'm nowhere near deprived from food (i eat 1700-2000 calories on average) BUT there has been a trade off workout wise.

the trade off is that I can only have 1 session a week where I'm truly pushing myself strength wise. the other 2 days of strength training i just work at 70-80% of my max and add in fun stuff like turkish get ups, plate pushes, oly lifts, etc. On the non lifting days i'm working on cardio conditioning via running, swimming, rowing.

cant speak for anyone else but for me it's because sweatpants dont have moisture wicking.

also for some us working out in baggy clothes is not comfortable as well as gets in the way of the workout. for instance if im being annoyed by my baggy, heavy cotton tee bunching up around my shoulders while i'm do turkish gets ups then i'm not going to be able to focus on good form; if my loose shorts start to fall down while i'm sprinting or doing plate pushes then that takes me out of the workout and could potentially cause an injury (ever trip while sprinting? i have. it's not good). power clean or clean jerk day: my clothes need to be as close to my body as possible otherwise clothes get in the way and and you end up with the the bottom of your baggy tshirt in your catch which would suck if you were then supposed to be jerking that bar overhead.

sorry to say it like this, but if my workouts were simply about jumping on an elliptical or stationary bike here, doing some static lunges and tricep kickbacks there then yeah i could probably get away with wearing baggy clothes with no moisture wicking.

I used to think all this was the bullcrap spouted by people with flauntable bodies to justify rubbing my fat face in my own failure, but then I started wearing spandex and closer fitting shirts to work out in and realized how awful and chafing and flappy and clumsy it is to work out in baggy clothes.

I was wrong, I'm sorry to all the spandex wearers I used to silently judge ('judge' is spelled 'envy' anyway!) :bigsmile:

I just realized, we shouldn't be telling the men about this unless we want to be distracted by packages in spandex jogging by us, which can also cause stumbling or possibly whiplash and either way is awkward!
  • StalgiaPasternak
    StalgiaPasternak Posts: 55 Member
    Thank you so much for all your answers. I should clarify, I'm not so much avoiding going to the gym in spandex or any other tight fitting clothing so much because of what people will think it's more because I'm just not comfortable and I feel like I need to enjoy myself working out and I don't feel as though I would in a gym setting where I'm feeling uncomfortable. At home, I can wear a bra and panties on my eliptical much to the enjoyment of my husband! Also, as a relatively new mum, I don't have much time at all so having the eliptical right beside my bed means I can't avoid it and I can get it done in the morning or if I'm watching Survivor after I'm zonked from working all day and taking care of my daughter all night. In fact, there is never an excuse to watch T.V. without moving!

So to recap so far the main suggestions are: Use interval training to rev metabolism and burn cals (on my eliptical)
    I should introduce weight lifting from the beginning not wait until I get to a lower weight
    I should use the calorie counting tool to reduce my calories and count them

I guess now the question is: How to introduce weight lifting? I'm wondering, for example, if I up the resistance on my eliptical is that "weight lifting"? I got the New Rules of Lifting for Women and I'm finding it very confusing to be honest. The workout sheets are all over the place. I'm wondering if I need to go to heavy lifting from the get go or should I build up my strength with more body resistance first and then as I lose weight, have more energy, etc. go towards heavy lifting?
  • Like I said, I have no problem with spandex. I'm just saying don't think looking hot in spandex is a requirement to lift. I'm also sure it has benefits but besides breast I'm not sure what problems loose clothes would cause on a women that wouldn't be the same on a man. I tuck my shirt in if it's a lift that it may cause a problem on and I make sure my pants are tight enough not to fall down. moisture-wicking materials can be found in loose fitting clothes as well, although, admittedly, it's not as effective.

Anyhow, sorry to hijack thread.

Doing both cardio and weight lifting have benefits and neither will cause loose skin. loose skin is a result of excessive weight loss and failure of the skin to be elastic enough to rebound. Dealing with that has little to do with exercise regimens.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    I'm wondering if I need to go to heavy lifting from the get go or should I build up my strength with more body resistance first and then as I lose weight, have more energy, etc. go towards heavy lifting?

Heavy is 'heavy for you'. When you start out, the 20kg bar by itself will be heavy.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    I'm wondering if I need to go to heavy lifting from the get go or should I build up my strength with more body resistance first and then as I lose weight, have more energy, etc. go towards heavy lifting?

Heavy is 'heavy for you'. When you start out, the 20kg bar by itself will be heavy.

This. If you have a bit more room by the elliptical, you could always invest in a weight bench. I'm sure there are people in the fitness and exercise section that can also help you sort out New Rules of Lifting.