Can someone explain Body fat % to me?

LuRox
LuRox Posts: 520 Member
edited September 23 in Motivation and Support
I did my body fat on my scales this morning and it said 49%...I weigh 230 lbs. Does this mean that 112.7 lbs of me is fat? Does this mean that if I weighed 117.3 I would have 0% body fat? I used to weigh 97 lbs. I"m sure I had body fat then, but probably not much. I am 5'6"...I'm not trying to get that small by no means, but my goal is 155. I realize that half of me is fat. I just don't understand where I need to be trying to get to. The lowest I have ever been able to get my body fat down to is 45%...what can I do to change that? I am working on cutting a lot of fat out of my diet. I have had a problem with that from the beginning. If I got to 155 would that mean my body fat would be 24%? (117.3/155) or will my numbers change as my weight goes down.

Replies

• Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    BF on scales is terrible
    BF on calipers is better
    Doctor doing BF is even better
    Getting in the tank is 100%

Why BF is my question? How about just use the scalre and hte mirror. BF can be confusing and down right intimidating.
    I was like 22-24% and was even that fat at the time. I hated knowing that. And in girls you guys have it evenr tougher.

If anything, get calipers, cheapest easiest and most accurate without going to dr or tank
  • LuRox
    Just because I'm curious....I don't care what my body fat is...it makes no difference how I feel about myself. I'm a beautiful women with a great self image. But I just wondered how that worked.
  • Body fat is frustrating at times, but definitely something that is relevant to know. Yes, measuring BF on scales is rarely accurate. At best you get a ball park figure, but still having that is better than nothing. To answer you're question though, as you lose weight, presumably you will be strengthening muscle and redistributing weight. This means your BF numbers will change as you start to lose weight. Just because you lose 50lbs of fat does not necessarily mean that you've lost 50lbs total. You could have gained 5lbs of muscle and then the whole equation starts again. Getting down to 117 wouldn't put you at 0% mainly because your body requires fat for survival. You have more than likely gained muscle since your earlier weights and that accounts for the difference. For women, my understanding is that somewhere between 20-30% is healthy, perhaps someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that. I come from a wrestling background in high school where everyone wants to get to 5 or 6%, nothing I ever want to get to personally.

Yes you want to use the mirror and the scale, but keep in mind the scale is always incredibly frustrating too. Use everything you can to track progress: measuring inches, total weight lost, Body Fat percentage, etc.

Good luck!
  • LuRox
    OK so, when I started this journey I was at 252.5 lbs...and my body fat (on these same scales) was 49%...and now that I've lost 23 lbs...it's still says the same thing...so does that mean I've not lost any fat? Just maybe gained some muscle?

Thank you for explaining it and letting me know that it "resets" as you go down...I'm just curious about how that works...and I definitely use the mirror and my clothes as my guide more than the scales...because I know I wear the same sizes that my friends wear and they weigh a good 30 lbs less than me!!! :)

I'm gonna lose 75% of me!!! :)P
  • dirty_diana
    dirty_diana Posts: 27 Member
    The body fat measurements you get on a scale are actually a measure of the water in your body, not necessarily fat. It's a fairly close approximation though, especially for those of us that just want to get a general idea of where we stand. I personally use both my weight and body fat % as goals because it's not just about losing weight.

If it were a 100% accurate measurement, then yes, your calculations are correct. However, your numbers will change as you lose the weight and not all the weight you lose will necessarily be fat. You'll never get down to 0% body fat. Not even those scary body builder types are at 0%. And as a woman, you should never, ever strive to be below 15%. We women need some fat, especially in the hips and thigh area in order for our bodies to function normally. As a GROWN woman, somewhere in the range of 20-25% is an excellent target to shoot for.

The best way to bring down your body fat% is a good mix of fairly high intensity cardio and strength training combined with healthy eating. You have to burn the fat off, you won't get as far with just diet alone. Also, I saw that you are trying to cut out the fat in your diet. Be careful with that. Fat in our food helps us stay satisfied and also slows down the digestion process. Unsaturated fats can actually be one of your best allies because when the digestion process is slowed, it allows our bodies time to actually use the calories we eat rather than storing them as fat in the body. It also helps our bodies absorb many of the vitamins and other nutrients in our food more efficiently.
  • LuRox
    Thanks! I'm learning more! That's what I was curious about.

Let me say, that I'm trying to cut out fat because I (being southern) eat LOTS Of fat...I'm not trying to completely cut it out...I know I have to have fats for my body to work right, to have healthy hair and skin, etc. No worries there. I will get my fats in...I'm just trying to choose healthier fats (like using olive oil instead of crisco!) It's really hard being raised on FRIED everything to change to baked fried...but I"m finding different ways to change to healthy.

I've been doing this journey since 2006 (this time anyway) I've learned how my body reacts to different types of foods. I figure that if I lose 5 lbs a year, that's 5 lbs I don't have on me anymore. Slow and steady wins this race.

I just wondered where the body fat played in here.

ALSO, I had forgotten that water and being hydrated played a part in the scales body fat%...I think maybe I'll do it again when I get home (after I've had my tons of water that I drink in a days time) and see what the difference is. Thanks for that reminder!
This discussion has been closed.