an unhealthy approach to ED recovery?

Options
Hello! So for the past few months I have been on the crazy journey that is recovery from an anorexia. I have so so so many reasons to want to recover, so I try to stay positive! However I get really down sometimes and find it such a struggle.

my main problem is the amount and the nutrition. I have to eat about 5 portions of full fat dairy a day, along with lots of oatmeal, rice, pasta, bread, biscuits, nuts, houmous and smoothies each day . Calories usually reach around 2200, (though I'm trying not to be as strict on counting! - hopefully will continue to relax on the counting! )

I can't help but notice this leaves my fat intake, (saturated fat especially) and carb intake all at crazy high levels! I am also not allowed to really do any activity, so this leaves me sitting down for most of the day!

Is this a good way to go about recovery? Or a very unhealthy approach? Or are most of my worries due to the ED thought process?

Thankyou!!

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Is this an approach you're taking along with a healthcare professional?

If you are under the direction of a competent and qualified medical professional, I would follow their advice. If you have concerns about it, then perhaps you can have a free and frank discussion about it with them. They may highlight the reasoning behind the choices that have been made so that you can greater understand why they want you to follow the schedule they have laid out.

If you are not doing this under the care of a medical professional, perhaps that is an avenue you might like to explore?
  • SleepKoala
    Options
    When you are going to inpatient treatment.. they do exactly what you are describing till they hit there goal weight and maintain. The patients need to gain a bit of weight and stay off the exercise. So it seems as though you are doing well recovering BUT you must remember eating disorder is a real psychological disorder too. Are you going to therapy? Talking it out with anyone? Most people with EDs have other mental disorders such as borderline personality disorder, bipolar disorder, depression.. etc. To really get on the road to recovery you need to find out the trigger.. the source. Why did it start in the first place.. and will it come back as soon as you feel your life is out of control once again? Studies show Anorexia is more common with people who live in or has lived in a home of rules and being controlled by family. While Bulimia for example is more common with people who have been raised in more of a chaotic environment. So physically you are doing well.. but you need to find a mental recovery too. :)

PM me anytime. Goodluck :)
  • leadiax3
    leadiax3 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    In my experience ED is a real *****. Its a rude, snide voice in your head. Do not listen to ED. Just do what the doctors tell you for now. It takes time to even out your mind body and spirit. Do not rely on your own instincts in early recovery. Your instincts have not proven to be reliable. Again just humor your doctor and follow orders.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    It's most likely the eating disorder thinking causing you to worry.

If you are on a meal plan as recommended for recovery from a professional, then you are doing everything right. Early in recovery, you will have to eat a lot of various things (such as fats, and carbs). Some people entering recovery even require more calories than what you're currently eating. To recover, your body is going to need more of certain things than the body of an otherwise healthy person.
  • hlm711
    hlm711 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Firstly, congratulations on chosing to recover and get your life back :)
    Looking at your diary, i think you have a really positive approach to the foods you choose, alot of people in recovery get very hung up over fats and carbs, and go for light choices-which is pointless.
    Given that your only 19, a time when your body naturally has higher energy requirments, its bery important to feed it probably more than you anticipate.
    Eat whatever you fancy, I know its hard not to be regimented, but its ok to eat 'junk' foods too.
    One of the many things i learnt in recovery is that there is no such thing as a 'normal' or 'average' diet. Its all about working out whats right for you, and at this point in your life, lots of calories is the most important thing!
    Best of luck, it really is worth it!!
  • tumsbums
    tumsbums Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Really really huge thankyous to all of these replies! Was going through a point there when I couldn't quite see straight any more and wanted to give up on the recovery, to take the "easy route". These comments have really really helped and given me that bit of back bone to stand up to the ED thoughts!

I am one of the lucky recoverers to get a dietitian, and unfortunatly the decision to eat all full fat products etc is not completely my own, however thankyou for giving me that push to not give in to my wrong thoughts on "nutrition".

Thankyou! :flowerforyou:
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I don't, currently, know anything about ED, but I do know about striving to overcome a mental battle. It's so not easy, but it can be done. Just keep taking little steps and just keep thinking of your goal. Even when things are bleugh hold onto that. You have the support of the dietician so make full use of it m'duck.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Is this an approach you're taking along with a healthcare professional?

If you are under the direction of a competent and qualified medical professional, I would follow their advice. If you have concerns about it, then perhaps you can have a free and frank discussion about it with them. They may highlight the reasoning behind the choices that have been made so that you can greater understand why they want you to follow the schedule they have laid out.

If you are not doing this under the care of a medical professional, perhaps that is an avenue you might like to explore?

Totally agree. Please read this again.
  • Patttience
    Options
    In my experience ED is a real *****. Its a rude, snide voice in your head. Do not listen to ED. Just do what the doctors tell you for now. It takes time to even out your mind body and spirit. Do not rely on your own instincts in early recovery. Your instincts have not proven to be reliable. Again just humor your doctor and follow orders.

Another great post. Please this again too.
  • Patttience
    Options
    Really really huge thankyous to all of these replies! Was going through a point there when I couldn't quite see straight any more and wanted to give up on the recovery, to take the "easy route". These comments have really really helped and given me that bit of back bone to stand up to the ED thoughts!

I am one of the lucky recoverers to get a dietitian, and unfortunatly the decision to eat all full fat products etc is not completely my own, however thankyou for giving me that push to not give in to my wrong thoughts on "nutrition".

Thankyou! :flowerforyou:

I'm glad those earlier posts helped. I just want to make an additional comment about full fat dairy.

I eat full fat dairy and love it. And i eat it when i want to lose weight also.

Lately i've been playing about and learning about with low carb. From the books i read, i have come around to the current thinking that fat is not the bugbear of health that we have been led to believe it is. Yes it does increase your calorie intake significantly, but that's why fatty foods portions are usually smaller than other foods. However with dairy products, it just makes the food taste so much better and well, i just don't have a problem with it. I do have a problem with low fat dairy.

Some scientists are even convinced that low fat diets are actually more unhealthy for us and cause greater weight gain - not because of the calories in the foods themselves but because weird things go on without appetite and what we tend to end up eating when it all catches up with us.

I"ve' been on a successful weightloss journey through out this year and eaten full fat dairy all year. I'm eating much more cheese than i used to as well and am just loving all the variety of flavours I'm discovering. I hope you can learn to love your food too.

Good luck with your recovery.
  • tiggersstar
    tiggersstar Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I would not put your food into the diary as you know what you need to eat each day and the figures are freaking you out. It's more important to get back to being used to eating more and tackling the reasons why you become anorexic in the first place. MFP is aimed at people trying to loose weight. I would probably give it a break for a while.
  • milileitner
    milileitner Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Your approach isn't unhealthy at all. Remember that anorexia causes hormonal changes in the body (especially for women) which need a good, healthy amount of dietary fat to get them back to normal, so that you can have periods again and get your fertility back, which also helps to reverse osteoporosis if you have that.

On 2200 calories, your fat and carb intake cannot be that high, because 2200 calories is really not that much at all! In fact it's less than a lot of women eat, and that's people who don't need to gain weight.

It's great that you are following your doctor's instructions, just stick with it and eventually your mind *will* catch up :)
  • kmanzullo
    Options

This^^^ I am also in recovery and have an outpatient dietician and therapist. Trust your dietician, they have a degree in nutrition. ED doesn't know anything except how to be manipulative and abusive.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    As others have advised, please do whatever your doctors tell you to do.

I had bulimia when i was young and went through therapy. For me, the binge/purge cycle was triggered by all the awful things I told myself, and I dealt with those feelings by pushing them down (food) and then getting rid of the feelings (purging). Once I learned this about myself, I was able to start on the road to recovery.

It sounds like you are on the path to recovery, and I encourage you to continue on your journey. :drinker: :smile:
  • tinychuck
    tinychuck Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm also in recovery from anorexia (b/p subtype) and I think above all it's important to remember that it is unhealthy to fear a food, not to eat a food.

As hard as it is, you need to trust your dietician and eat the full fat dairy etc.

A website which I have found very helpful, motivational and informative for my recovery is youreatopia.com. I would really recommend you read these two articles especially:

http://www.youreatopia.com/blog/2011/9/14/i-need-how-many-calories.html
    http://www.youreatopia.com/blog/2013/3/31/minniemaud-guidelines-for-recovery-from-a-restrictive-eating.html

Best of luck to you. EDs are awful and sometimes recovery can feel that way too, but keep going because there's gonna be a better life on the other side :)
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Don't ask people here on what your "macros" should be for recovery. Go to a nutritionist/dietitian, trust your nutritionist/dietitian.
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Just remember, that the full fat dairy thing isn't forever. It's to restore your weight back up to where you should be.

You got this, kick that ED's butt!!
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    My experience with recovery:
    IP in hospital and then OP: I was there for around 7 months. Dietician started me out slowly and eventually I was eating similar to you except I was consuming around 3500 calories! We were not allowed any exercise - in fact, the nurses would 'get us' for walking down the hall!

Are you recovering @ home? If you are, you are doing a fantastic job!

I tried to - as the hospital was the LAST place I wanted to go - but there was no way in hell that I could double my calories let alone eat 3500 calories!