Birth Control (trinessa) and weight gain?

Options
So I'm due to start birth control(trinessa) and I've heard horror stories of people who have taken it and ended up 10+ pounds heavier. My goal is to lose weight so I'm really anxious to start taking it because I don't want to gain weight obviously. What were your experiences with trinessa or birth control in general? If you gained weight was it easy to lose? Did your body feel any different on the pills vs. when you weren't on the pills? Thanks in advance for the help!

Replies

• zoelawliet
    Options
    I'm on microgynon 30 and I gained around 10lbs (but I've nearly lost it all! :) ). I tried talking to my doctor about switching to another pill that wouldn't make me pile on the pounds but she wasn't concerned at all because my bmi was only around 22.5 with the weight gain and all they seem to care about is if you're overweight because then it's risky to take birth control because of potential blood clots. :/ Anyway, she didn't have any alternatives for me other than try to control my cravings.

All the doctors and everyone says that there is no direct correlation with weight gain, which is probably true, but my birth control made me WAY hungrier. It's the oestrogen that just naturally makes you way hungrier. I'm very good with being disciplined in what I eat and usually have no problems with giving into cravings but it's been so much more difficult as the pill makes you feel like you are REALLY hungry when you're not.

Losing weight on it has been a total pain and takes forever. When I used to be able to knock off 5lbs in 2 weeks it now takes me a month and a half. Because of the hormones I felt a lot more sensitive and I would cry a lot more than I normally would. My breasts went up a cup size (which was pretty nice ;) )and were a lot more sensitive to the touch. The first month I was on it I would get really nauseated and headachy around 6 hours after I took the pill but that's normal as it was just my body adjusting. :)
    This is a little personal but sexually I had a decrease of libido, to the dismay of my boyfriend, and it takes a lot more to get me in the mood.

10 pounds isn't much in the grand scheme of things and I don't think I'd label it as a 'horror story' but as long as you're very careful about what you eat it'll be fine. Might take a little longer, but definitely possible.
  • chari182
    chari182 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Sehubac - I started taking Trinessa last year and was on it for about 6 months. It was fine for me and I didn't really notice any changes! I wasn't extra hungry or anything, and didn't experience any bad side effects. I stopped taking it once my husband left for his deployment and I just started taking it again this past weekend. I lost weight while I was on it before, and I don't see it effecting my weight loss this time around either :)