Food Database

Options
Is there a specific site you check your nutritional values of what you enter in your log on myfitnesspal to confirm the nutrional value is correct? Many of the entries in the database seem to be lacking information (specifically the potassium, fiber, and vit A I'm looking for).

Replies

• TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    A lot of people just use what is on the package that they are eating (note these are user entered and you do not have to everything into the database-a lot of people only put the cals only). I have learned to enter my own foods and not let them be available to the rest of the users because they can edit my entries (which are correct based on my box/bag/container) vs. theirs and they could be half way around the world. The entries that do not have * at the beginning are entries that Mike entered into the system for users to use and the data cannot be changed. He got the info from documented sources that are reliable.
    You will need to search for exactly what you are looking for and if you still can not find it, enter it yourself (note: people can change it if you allow it to be used by other members).
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    To TheMaidOfAstolat: Is there a way to make entries that I previously made available to the public NOT available to the public? It didn't don on me that all my hard work could be changed. I would hate to have to re-enter all my foods, but I will if I have to....... Thanks for the info!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    To TheMaidOfAstolat: Is there a way to make entries that I previously made available to the public NOT available to the public? It didn't don on me that all my hard work could be changed. I would hate to have to re-enter all my foods, but I will if I have to....... Thanks for the info!

I'm not sure. I've never gone back to my old entries. If I find out I'll let you know.
  • underthebridge09
    Options
    I'm not eating many packaged products but trying to eat as "raw" as possible so I can't just get the nutritional info off the package ;(
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I'm not eating many packaged products but trying to eat as "raw" as possible so I can't just get the nutritional info off the package ;(

Mike put quite a few raw foods (fruits/veggies/meats) into MFP database (the ones without the * by them) based on reliable sources. If you can't find something, I'd recommend looking it up here:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

You may not find every variation of foods you want in there, but it always has something close enough that I'm satisfied using it and putting the info into the MFP database.
  • Jennyzfit
    Jennyzfit Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I just google what I want to know and find that usually helps. Sometimes the companies of a certain product will give you all info per portion. You might have to do a bit of math though to figure out if your size portion doesn't match. I've been finding i'm starting to measure everything. Maybe good so I don't "Supersize" my portions.
  • underthebridge09
    Options

Mike put quite a few raw foods (fruits/veggies/meats) into MFP database (the ones without the * by them) based on reliable sources. If you can't find something, I'd recommend looking it up here:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

You may not find every variation of foods you want in there, but it always has something close enough that I'm satisfied using it and putting the info into the MFP database.

Awesome! Thank you - this is what I was looking for!
  • rhi_rhi77
    Options
    There really are waaay to many dulplicate foods being added to the food database! How can we ensure that there is quality control here? I'm concerned it is really going to get out of hand - even become useless.

I do, when I have time, check the nutritional value (and mark as good, or change the values).

I can only assume people find it easier to enter their own food to the database as it's often tedious to trawl through the exising (and confusing) entries.

I eat a wide variety of foods, and i don't want to have to writeup all the nutritional info myself!

(i am new, perhaps I should just read the instructions to myfitnesspal before posting???)