Is it water retention or weight gain?!? Help!

Options
I have been weighing myself daily as somewhat of a motivational tool. I know that weight fluctuates day to day, so I don't punish myself if my weight goes up. The only weigh-ins I ''count" are Sundays. With that being said, everyday this week I am no where near what I weighed in on Sunday (consistently 6-8 lbs above). I hope it's water retention but I have been drinking lots of water (80 ounces minimum, sometimes over a gallon). My sodium intake is higher than it should be but I thought the extra water would take care of that. I'm worried it might be actual weight gain. I have been working out more, but that seems like a huge gain for it to be muscle gain. I have been having protein shakes after workouts, could that be making me GAIN weight? Even with the extra protein, I have stayed within my calorie goals almost everyday this month and workout out pretty regularly.

Any suggestions or comments?? Thanks and feel free to add me as a friend!

Replies

• ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I would think it could be water retention due to your sodium intake - I know my weight varies by a couple of pounds (but I still weigh almost daily!!) High sodium foods often have high fat, sugar etc as well, so it could be a bit of a gain, but keep working at it! Every good day you have is better than a bad day :flowerforyou:

Just keep drinking plenty of water, get some movement in your day and it will most likely come down again. Sometimes it takes a few days to come back to "base" so to speak!

Keep at it, it is not a slide downwards, it has a few bumps along the way - or for me it has! :laugh:
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Sounds like water. You would have had to go over a bunch on the calorie side to be 6-8lbs heavier than you were on sunday. High sodium days make me retain water for 6-8 days and it can be anywhere from 2-5lbs. Another thing to consider is if you're close to your time of the month. I'm usually about 5lbs heavier than normal that week.
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Since it takes approximately 3,500 calories to lose a pound, it makes sense that it also takes 3,500 calories to gain a pound.

To gain 6 pounds, you would need to eat an EXTRA 21,000 calories over and above your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure).
    3,500 X 6 = 21,000

My guess that you came nowhere close to eating that many extra calories since Sunday. Which means that most, if not all of that extra weight you are seeing on the scale is water weight.

And yes, sodium can cause a lot of water retention. Your monthly cycle could do the same thing. In the week before my period, I could easily pack on 5-6 pounds of water weight.

In other words ...
    Don't worry! Just stay on program. Eat about 500 calories less than your TDEE and you will continue to lose slowly lose weight.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'm generally a couple pounds heavier after exercise (water retention for muscle repair) and sodium can also cause a few pounds.

A pound of fat is 3500 calories. Unless you ate 21000 calories above maintenance, it's not fat. It's also not muscle. You're not going to put on muscle in that amount of time while eating at a deficit.
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options
    What types of exercises are you doing? When I first started exercising regularly (running, Pilates, weights) and trying to lose a few pounds of fat, I went to the doctor a few weeks later and found out I weighed about 8-9 pounds more than where I started, yet my clothing did not feel any tighter. I did gain a bit of muscle and I was on my period (and had even eaten a large meal before being weighed), so it really could be a combination of things, like in my case - including muscle gain, which isn't a bad thing. How are your clothes feeling? Sometimes the scale isn't the best indicator when you're trying to lose weight/get in shape. Are you losing inches?
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Are your muscles sore? If so, then it is at least partially water weight.

If not, apply logic: have you overeaten your goal by 3500 calories x 8 pounds? If not, then it is likely water retention for some other reason.
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    A gallon of water weights approximately 8 lbs....
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    It's most likely water weight. Definitely try to reduce the sodium.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Could just be where you are in your cycle. We women have it tough once a month on the scales!
  • mariah3587
    Options
    It's hard to tell with clothing. I live in scrubs, workout clothing, and pjs so everything is pretty forgiving. I don't think I've lost and significant inches, but I will be measuring again at the end of the month. Seems like everyone agrees it's water retention, which I guess deep down I knew. I just didn't want to be doing something wrong for too long before I realized and corrected it.
  • mariah3587
    Options
    How does sore muscles indicate water retention? (Not being sarcastic!) :)
  • heather_huggins
    heather_huggins Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    If you're doing any sort of exercise, especially strength training, your muscles generally hold water for a few days to help "heal" is what I've been told. The sodium also probably makes you retain a bit. I would say go low sodium for a few days and high water intake, you'll be peeing a lot but will definitely "deflate" some =P It's definitely not weight gain, dear!
  • janelle1993
    janelle1993 Posts: 128
    Options
    I have been experiencing a similar situation so I am not weighing myself until next Sunday because the scale is no longer a motivation but discouragement and cause me to eat not so well on Saturday and Sunday (as if that was a good way to rebel against the scale). I am seeing though that my jeans are feeling a lot more loose and I have less of muffin top. So I am focusing on NSV (non-scale victories) instead of pounds right now so that I stay on a healthy course. Have you tried measuring yourself? Do you see a difference in how your clothes feel? Sorry I rambled!!!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    1. If you are on a calorie deficit, it is not likely muscle gain ... gains in lean body mass require a calorie surplus in most all cases. Could be minor gains in muscle since you have just started working out... but this trend will not continue.

2. Since you are now working out, your body does store extra fluid for muscle building. Therefore, the gain in weight could be due to the weight training; however, realize, though the scale may increase, you will usually continue to see a drop in inches due to the weight training.

3. There are a number of factors in the water retention area...
    1. TOM can be a factor for women
    2. Sodium
    3. Working out (water used for muscle repair)
    4. Protein. Protein causes the kidneys to work harder....

If it is water, the gain will only be temporary. Just because the scale goes up does not mean you are losing ground. I actually wear a smaller pant size now than I did when I was last 170... (I am now 223)... Reason? Weight training.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    How does sore muscles indicate water retention? (Not being sarcastic!) :)

When You work out hard enough to stress the muscles, fluid builds up in the area as part of the repair process. I've noticed my legs get visibly bigger for a day after a good weights session but it will go away in a day or two. By the way not only high sodium makes you retain, high carb intake does also.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    it's water for the reasons explained above (if you are in a deficit).

And it is sodium/potassium ratio not just sodium. Also, if your habitual sodium intake is high then having another high day (what is high? :tongue:) will not make you retain more water. It is about spikes in sodium or drops in potassium. And as Servilia said additional carbs (above habitual) will hold 3-4g of water per gram of CHO.

I'd assess by measurements rather than just scales.
  • 5RES
    5RES Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm not sure if it is that monthly time for you, but I know from my previous weigh ins I was up 6-8lbs that week because of the water retention I assume.
  • jazzpollard
    jazzpollard Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Increased water retention can also be the cause of “mysterious” weight stagnation. Women can really suffer from this due to the fluid retention that comes with the menstrual cycle. There are remedies that can be taken to alleviate this or attempt to prevent it. You might be surprised to know that this excessive water retention is felt not only in the abdomen but also in the thighs, upper legs, face and breasts. Here are natural ways to reduce water retention: http://blog.expelis.com/steps-to-reduce-water-retention.html
  • XxCaz89xX
    Options
    Most probably water retention! Try a 12 hour fast and drink only water in those 12hours and lots of water and I guarantee you will drop at least half of those pounds!
  • juliesofonea
    juliesofonea Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Gosh I am glad its not me! Want to loose some stomach fat after 4 kids, and as I am 1,58 and not really overweight, been working out and on a 1200 calories diet (which was recommended) I have been loosing a bit and then last few days gained a few pounds, a pond each day. Even eating yesterday1100 adding the extra 200/300 calories allowed from sport, I was 300 calories down, yet gained weight. Managed a 60% protein, low fat, and low sugar. It is depressing, making such an effort and then just slowly going up. I am though maybe due periods, been 5 weeks, but getting premenoupausal. Does anybody know the percentage of water in body. My weighing machine says only 54% and 45% fat