Extremely unfit and struggling to lose any weight??

Options
OK, here goes. I am a disaster as far as loosing weight goes. I have never been slim although up until a while ago I was never massive. I had 18 months of cancer treatment which left me weighing 200 lbs which at 5' 2.5" was much too big. I am on a combination of medication, 2 of which has weight gain listed as the top side effect and my consultant has confirmed that his patients do struggle to lose but stopping this medication isn't an option. I managed to lose 38 lbs but it took me 18 months and then bam, my mum had a brain haemorrhage and my MIL was diagnosed with cancer and with no walking (my only exercise) and grabbing convenience food on the run I have put on 12 lbs and I'm gutted. I just can't seem to get moving again. I have very little spare time and with all the things I'm trying to pack into my day I just feel like doing nothing. I am sooooo unfit, walking up stairs leaves me breathless and I am constantly exhausted.

So after all this what should I do? Would I be better trying to join a gym and do some weight training or try to fit in a short walk every day but I need this weight gone and quickly as I need follow up surgery and can't have this until my BMI is lower. I had a body analysis done at a medical facility and it listed my Metabolism as that of a 61 year old - I'm 46 :(. Sorry for the ramble but I'm fed up.

Replies

• logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    You've had so much to contend with that I was going to suggest weight loss just wasn't a priority for you. I know from the final paragraph that it has to be. I would say start with the walking. Walk a little further today than you did yesterday. If walking upstairs leaves you feeling puffed, I'm not sure you'd be able access that much at the gym.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I have very little spare time and with all the things I'm trying to pack into my day I just feel like doing nothing.

What are these things? Sounds as though you are rushing about and must be quite active?
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    You don't need exercise to lose weight. With everything that's happening I completely understand why it's taken a back seat.

Talk to your doctor and find out what calories they recommend, or if they can refer you to a dietician. You can lose weight just by cutting calories. But with your health issues might be best to get expert advice.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Walking, walking and more walking....

that being said, you just need a calorie deficit to lose weight, so maybe focus on that while you've got a lot of other stuff on?
  • Claires2014
    Options
    Hi Lynn, I have read your post and am sorry you are in this situation. I like you have a busy life but have found a local gym that is pay as you go and ladies only. I would like to go more often but work stops me. I have brought a power plate to use at home, weights and a sit up machine .All from Argo and quite reasonable in price. I have also discovered Marks and Spencer Count on us meals and have tried several, some nice some not so nice and they do a nice range of deserts and ice cream. I have changed to skimmed milk and weight watchers bread. I weigh in every Tuesday at Boots as their scales are calibrated. It does my weight and BMI and I keep every weigh in in a diary so I can see weight loss and BMI coming down weekly. I allow myself a treat after my weigh in a bar of chocolate or nice biscuit. I buy weight watchers cakes and the malt loaf which is yum. I alternate breakfast one day Fruit and Fibre with skimed milk, 40gms or 2 slices of weight watchers bread, I still have butter and marmalade .At weekends either boiled egg or scrambled egg, bacon cherry tomatoes and always have a sunday dinner. I am diabetic so need to watch the sugars and carbs, I also try to eat the same time each day. I have found following MFP has helped and the breakdown of everything helps. A woman should be on 2000 calories a day, I am on 1310 and adjust it as my weight goes down. What calories are you currently on?. xx
  • teddyedward04
    teddyedward04 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your replies.

Logg1e - I work - unfortunately sitting at a desk all day, I usually work through my lunch and eat at my desk. I leave the house at 7.20 am and get home about 6 pm. I then prepare dinner for the family and after dinner I usually go to visit my mum at the residential home. I am mum's only living relative so its me or nobody to visit. I usually get home about 8.30 and I usually do the ironing and then prepare lunches for everyone for the next day. So nothing strenuous or energetic but just doesn't give me much time.

I try to eat no more than 1200 calories per day but usually eat slightly less.

I really appreciate your replies, suppose there is no quick fix and I just need to keep slogging away. I will hold off on the gym until I get a little more time/fitness.
  • teddyedward04
    teddyedward04 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Sorry cross-posted Claire. I'm on 1,200 per day but usually eat below that. Thank you so much for posting what you eat as I have followed your weight loss and you are doing so well so I always wondered what you were eating. I just feel so angry at myself that I haven't reached my goal.
  • cdavison2018
    cdavison2018 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Stess makes it harder to work on lifestyle changes. Recognize you have had a lot going on. Now add exercise and eat more vegetables and quality proteins. Keep your food diary. Good luck!
  • teenyjem
    teenyjem Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    i would say look at the content of your diet. i found reducing my calories would mean nothing if i was filling those calories with carb-heavy products. i say, set a good, decent calorie limit, but use it as a baseline only. reach it - dont aim to be under it. 20 or 30 over wont be noticed by your body. eat lots of healthy protein and salads that include green veg. lots of fruit with the word 'berry' in it. drop the teas, fruit juice from concentrate and most of all, fizzy drinks. increase your water intake and feel the benefits before you start watching the scales. measure yourself. monthly. dont expect the scales to change if your body is possibly just tightening and adjusting.

it took soooo long for me to understand that it wasnt the calories, but the content. quality - not quantity.

you'll feel like a new person. enjoy it.

tina x
    feel free to add me if u need someone to help spur you on.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Do you watch tv at all? If so, just walk/jog in place as you watch.
  • loveless_me
    loveless_me Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that you try to walk everyday, as far as you can, at a comfortable pace for you. And also, maybe try to swim 2 or 3 times a week.
  • cafeteriagirl
    cafeteriagirl Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    is there a friend or even a family member that would take a small walk a day with you? Start out small and work your way as you can handle it. Please dont beat yourself up I know how that is I do it all the time and take it from me it doesnt help anything but make you feel worse about yourself. I started using a pedometer its just a cheap curves on to count my steps that helps because the steps add up quicker than seeing the miles add up. Good luck and you are in my thoughts and prayers. :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Given your medical condition and metabolic testing, please talk to your doctor or a nutritionist about how many calories you should be eating and what kind of dietary needs you should focus on (fruits, veg, etc). I'm not sure the usual advice would apply to your situation so it's best to get help from the experts.

Could you take your lunch break to walk? Taking a break will help minimize stress and get a little calorie burn in as well While, yes, you don't need it for weight loss, it's good for your physical and mental health. Even if you can only spare 15 minutes, it's better than nothing.

As far as the stairs go.... I workout just about every day and considering myself moderately fit and they still kill me. More than a couple flights and I can feel my legs burn and I'm out of breath. However, I now climb them faster than I used to so I make it as hard as it was at the beginning. Just like anything else, you will improve with time and practice!

Best of luck to you!
  • smitaosunsade
    smitaosunsade Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    hi
    I'm sorry you are going through all this
    it is easy to tell you what to do but I don't have the expertise, since you are desk jobbed (like me) I found someone at work and do the "cigarette break" walk - just around the floor! every time someone goes for a cigarette break they inform me and I get up and walk the floor w my pal.
    see your doc about how many calories to be on - also www.iifym.com told me exactly how to break it down (may help you!) - I say that cos I yo-yo in this weight loss of mine! smh!
    you could do the "diabetic meal" 1 protein,2 veg and see if it helps.
    but I'm sorry you are going to have to walk - take a stroll, add the strap on weights if you have some, but also drink loads of water (1/2 your body weight they say).
    I hope anything I said helps.
    God bless - It is well!
  • MChristine022
    Options
    What are you eating???? Eliminate junk food, toss the processed crap (you will have more energy when you're eating clean), and focus on eating a diet that consists of lean meats, whole grains, fruits and veggies, and healthy fats. You don't need to completely eliminate the crappy food, but you should only eat it in moderation. Talk to your doc about exercise, and what you should be doing. I bet some walking would help.