Hit a barrier :(

Options
Hey all!

I decided that a life change was in order when I was no longer happy with the way I looked and decided to take the step of joining a gym and counting cals to lose weight.

I'm around 5'9 / 5'10 and started at 20 stone

Over a 2 week period I dropped a stone from going to the gym every other day and eating around 1700 cals a day.

It's been about a week now since I hit 120kg and it just hasn't dropped below it, and it's really frustrating me.

I'm doing a lot of weights at the gym as well as some cardio inbetween sets of weights, I'm quite strong so I'm pushing myself every time I go.

Some people have said it's muscle gaining, others have said just carry on it will pass.
I'm completely out of my depth here as I'm new to this.

Any help would be incredibly appreciated!

Replies

• fearLuke
    Options
    Anyone? :{
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    weight loss is not linear and you won't lose weight every week.

If you are sure you are in a deficit then just be patient.

There could be a lot of reasons the scale is not moving.

Water retention from new exercise, if you are new to weight lifting you could be gaining a bit of muscle.
  • tubbytwinmummy
    tubbytwinmummy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm quite new myself, but from what I understand this is normal? I'd give it a little while longer and see how you are in a week or so :)
    I found upping my water intake to 2 litres+ a day helped.
    Hope this helps! Good luck, you're doing fantastically :D
  • MrTweek
    MrTweek Posts: 1
    Options
    That is perfectly normal. When you start exercising, your body will burn fat and build up muscles. Muscles are actually heavier than fat, which is why you barely loose weight. That's not a bad sign at all.
    The more muscles you have, the more calories does your body burn, even when resting. That said, once your muscles growth slows down, because your body thinks you have enough you will still burn fat (possibly more than before, because of more muscles => higher calorie burn).

2 weeks is never enough to see any results. Drink a litre of water and you'll gain a kilo. If you sweat a lot, because it is hot or humid, you can lose a kilo from that. If you eat salty food, your body will store more water to dilute it. If your salt intake is low, your body will get rid of water, to concentrate it. There are heaps of other factors with similar effects.
    You weight always oscillates up and down. In my case, this is easily 2-3 kg a week.

Be patient, and you will see results. See this as a long term project. If you do it right, you WILL see results in 4-6 weeks time, and this will go on and on, as long as you don't give up.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    I agree with the comments… when you lift weights and work out… the body gains false weight or stays the same. It normalizes in weeks..depending on the person.

This is why I'm not weighing myself right now…as I have started a daily exercise routine and I know the scale will not reflect my work and I don't want to get discouraged.

Were I you.. I'd continue on as you are and weigh yourself in a few weeks… pay attention to your clothes. use a tight pair of pants or shorts to monitor your progress.