Pushing through with PMS...

Options
Hey girls,

Anyone got any tips to avoid staying in bed due to dips in mood caused by pms?
I already had a day off yesterday because I was in the foulest mood.
Help!

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You just have to suck it up and do it. It may sound cliche but sometimes getting some exercise in actually makes me feel a bit better - endorphins are a great natural drug. I may whine about it, but I still do it, and am always happier afterwards.

It doesn't have to be anything severe, just get up and get moving. I personally enjoy going for a long walk or doing a couple kickboxing videos. The punching and kicking helps get my aggressions out. Yoga and swimming are nice too.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    It's all in your mind.
  • Kara52217
    Kara52217 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I'm curious as to what others say...

My cramps can get so bad I literally stay in bed somedays...

but I can tell you that I have figured out if I know it's coming soon if I go to the gym and get in a good workout a few days leading up to it then my symptoms are not NEAR as bad as they would be had I not worked Out in the days prior.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you have it bad enough that you are staying in bed, that doesn't sound typical. Sounds more like it might be PMDD or severe PMT that your doctor could help with. Good luck!
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    It looks like you're talking about the week leading up to and not actual shark week, but basically what the other ladies are mentioning.
    Do things to improve your mood; set aside some time to watch your favourite comedy on netflix, indulge in something goo-ey and chocolaty (or salty, etc) just make sure you fit it into your macros, and get up and do something. Even if you only convince yourself to go for a run around the block, it's going to help improve your mood a bit.
    The other thing you could consider if you get really awful mood swings is to actually go talk to your doctor. I was actually switched to a three month continuous pill because my periods were so debilitating due to the cramps that I really couldn't move for the first 48 hours and I know many friends who have been given other birth control options for a whole host of reasons, emotional and hormonal changes included.
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    I would definitely talk to your Doctor about this. It might be something that medically needs to be checked out. Maybe try to get some exercise in. Endorphins could be a help.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Anyone got any tips to avoid staying in bed due to dips in mood caused by pms?

Side note, share some tips on how not to be a "B" to your husband or boyfriend due to dips in mood caused by pms. It's a far more pressing issue.

Yeah, 'cause you men are just peaches on your three month hormonal cycles.
    Personally, I'm going to go with the OP's potential health issues trump your hurt feelings for the moment.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    not for nothing- but my hormones make me completely in balanced- and the bigger issues I have to deal with than actual cramps. So it's not that off base LOL

I get some solid cramps- I considered calling out today- it would have been extremely simple as my boss isn't here either- so no love lost- but you can't just quit doing life because you're uncomfortable. Life doesn't just stop because you're uncomfortable though- take you're midol- use your heating pad- eat your chocolate. And go work out.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    ebd50593fe07207dd7d55acc744c494e.jpg

Seriously how is this any different from any other excuse to not exercise? You either do it or you don't. You'll always have reasons. Legs are sore, not enough sleep the night before, don't feel like it, slept wrong and your back is stiff. Get up and do it or just surrender 1/4 of your life to failure.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Well as with any other day, I take B12...but I am never bedridden due to it. If you are honestly bed ridden and not just being lazy, I would talk to your doctor.
  • JCLondonUK
    JCLondonUK Posts: 159
    Options
    ebd50593fe07207dd7d55acc744c494e.jpg

Seriously how is this any different from any other excuse to not exercise? You either do it or you don't. You'll always have reasons. Legs are sore, not enough sleep the night before, don't feel like it, slept wrong and your back is stiff. Get up and do it or just surrender 1/4 of your life to failure.

^^^ This. I was trying to imagine what the world would be like if everyone stayed in bed all day whenever they were in a bad mood, but of course that won't work - most of the world's population is too busy working hard to ensure that they (and those that depend on them) stay safe, warm and adequately fed to even dream of it.

Make the most of the opportunities you're lucky enough to have been given ... Or go back to bed feeling sorry for yourself, and let them pass you by.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Meh, bad mood, just get out there.
  • LoriLoves2Run
    Options
    Exercise, no matter how badly you want to stay in bed. Most of us don't have the option to stay in bed so we just suck it up. If coffee helps, drink up. Dark chocolate also seems to work and it doesn't have as much junk in it as some of the other bad choices PMS drives us to. Lots of water. I don't encourage synthetic hormones unless there's no other option. You've got at least 25 more years of this. Staying in bed isn't going to work.
  • LoriLoves2Run
    Options
    Well as with any other day, I take B12...but I am never bedridden due to it. If you are honestly bed ridden and not just being lazy, I would talk to your doctor.

This^^^^^^^ and this^^^^
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    So i have pmdd. So I'm not just a little tired and cranky, I'm seriously a homicidal maniac the 2 weeks before. Or I was until I figured out what works for me. It's not meds... went down that road with my doc and we couldn't get the dosages right, made it worse. Finally I started exercising. My magic number is 5 hours of cardio a week, every week. 7 is even better. Has to be cardio to trigger the right spot in the brain. As long as I do this, I'm as docile as a kitty cat. It helps my energy levels, it lessens cramps and it does wonders for my mood. A couple of times I've been tapering for a race in the 2 weeks before and it just wasn't pretty. So seriously you just have to be religious about your exercise all the time and your symptoms will lessen over time
    Particularly in the 2 weeks before you should make sure you're working pretty hard.
  • SeptemberLondon
    SeptemberLondon Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I was legitimately homicidal this past weekend. My poor boyfriend. :explode:

But for me, that comes on a week or so before anything that would sideline me, like cramps. When I know it's coming (my hip pain - we all have our "tells"); I have the Aleve on the bedside table and set my alarm an hour or two before normal waking time. Then I take the Aleve (some months I even need a muscle relaxer) and grab the heating pad. Back to sleep for a few hours & I wake up feeling like I can actually move. The trick is to feel well enough to GET to the gym, because once I'm there & get in my workout I feel SOOOO much better!

You've just gotta find a way to get there so the endorphins start flowing. Take it easy, do some light cycling (see what I did there? :smokin: ) and maybe hit the sauna or hot tub. You might find that your muscles relax enough to take on a full workout. But if you don't, take it easy on your body but do something & you'll be glad you did!

Sorry, I just re-read your post & realized it's the moods, not physical pain that's keeping you in bed. Yeah, it's cliche, but "Just Do It". Otherwise, you feel even more lousy for not working out & then you're caught in the endless cycle. Good luck!
  • SeptemberLondon
    SeptemberLondon Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My magic number is 5 hours of cardio a week, every week. 7 is even better. Has to be cardio to trigger the right spot in the brain. As long as I do this, I'm as docile as a kitty cat. It helps my energy levels, it lessens cramps and it does wonders for my mood. A couple of times I've been tapering for a race in the 2 weeks before and it just wasn't pretty. So seriously you just have to be religious about your exercise all the time and your symptoms will lessen over time
    Particularly in the 2 weeks before you should make sure you're working pretty hard.
    This is great advice, and I'm going to give it a try - thanks!
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Exercise!! It is the cure for all that ails us.
  • ashbarretto4
    Options
    Well, it looks like I did suck it up and go the gym…

I burned 750 calories today!? now I'm so tired I can't move. Rollacoaster of a day.

Thanks for all the help guys, didn't expect so many!!!