Acid reflux?!!!

Options
I don't see how I could be getting acid reflux. I'm vegan; my diet is really low in fat and completely devoid of animal products. I rarely eat spicy food or citrus. I eat mostly raw fruits and veggies, and for the most part practice proper food combining. I used to struggle with acid before I went vegan and it's come back on and off, but now it's really bad. I can't sleep. I just had a piece of raw ginger and that seemed to help... But what could be causing this and how can I stop it? ????

Replies

• Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    My Acid reflux stopped when I reduced my carbs .. I no longer take Lansoprozole!

I 'discovered' that eating Bread (and other wheat based foods) especially a couple of hours before bed time gave me terrible reflux ... no more. If not 'cured' then I at least know MY Triggers.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Reflux has nothing to do with what you eat. It may be the result of a hiatal hernia or just due to a past sore throat. In my case, I was diagnosed with silent reflux as the result of a sore throat I had last winter. I had a persistant cough afterwards that I finally went to my Dr. about. She sent me to an ENT, who took a couple of simple tests and came up with that diagnosis. Silent reflux is when the food doesn't come back all the way up your esophogus and doesn't have the burning sensation. The treatment was a prescription-strength Prednisone (available otc) and otc Zantac for two months + stopping a list of foods (the hardest part) for a while. Now, I'm just taking some Zantac and I've added back those foods occasionally.
  • Shropshire1959
    Options
    Reflux has nothing to do with what you eat.

Yes mine did.
  • sherrybaby81
    sherrybaby81 Posts: 257 Member
    Options

Yes mine did.
    Mine does too. I am taking Protonix for it.
  • TinamarZDF
    TinamarZDF Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I found out that the # 1 cause of ulcers are pain meds like Asprin. You may not have an ulcer but it could cause the reflux or GERD. Food does not cause it but it most definitely aggravates it. Tomatoes and chocolate do it to me. Google it. There's all kinds of info out there.
  • cjmz5701
    cjmz5701 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My Husband suffers from reflux and a friend suggested taking a probiotic. It has something to do with the balance of bacteria in your intestines that are used for digestion. It seems to help him a lot as long as he takes it regularly. look for something that has at least 17 billion cells he takes flora adult probiotic we get it at a whole foods store. it may help.
  • Shropshire1959
    Options
    ..and chocolate do it to me.

That's just so unfair
  • softwind
    softwind Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Do you have your gallbladder? I had reflux flares before mine needed to come out, and of course have them now that it is out...
    For me, its tomatoes and garlic that seem to affect it the worst (but I refuse to give them up)
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    Do you have your gallbladder? I had reflux flares before mine needed to come out, and of course have them now that it is out...
    For me, its tomatoes and garlic that seem to affect it the worst (but I refuse to give them up)

This. I had my gallbladder removed after not being able to eat without pain for a month- no pain, and I can now eat everything with no pain.

ETA: See a doctor. They can see if there's something wrong with you rather than your acid reflux being caused by what you eat.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    It could be that you have scarring of the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) which is what keeps food from rising up in your esophagus. Once it is scarred, it doesn't function as well as it used to and it will permit some stomach acid to seep back up into the esophagus. The easiest way to combat it is to make sure that the stomach is completely empty of food at bedtime (eat the last meal of the day at least 2 to 3 hours before bed) and then take a glass of water followed by a Gaviscon (which forms something of a slightly alkaline plug in the area of the stomach that is just below the LES. There are other simple measures that are helpful, such as avoiding bending over or laying down after a meal. Avoiding eating a lot at any one meal. GERD is often mechanical. Obese people suffer from it disproportionately because abdominal fat puts more pressure on the stomach and thus forces it up past the LES. But, sometimes it is triggered by the type of food. Coffee is a problem for many GERD sufferers. If you drink it, you could try switching to tea for a few weeks to see if there is an improvement. There are a myriad of other foods that appear to cause a problem for some--such as chocolate, fried food, etc. If wheat triggers GERD, I would get tested for celiac or non-celiac gluten intolerance. Good luck! :smile:
  • mamaoftwins9197
    mamaoftwins9197 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I would see your doctor. I used to have BAD reflux...talked of GERD with the doctor. I haven't eaten meat in a month (I still do fish and animal products, so not completely vegetarian), but it definitely made a difference for me. For some, food can be a trigger and for others it's a deeper issue. Good luck!
  • Shropshire1959
    Options
    P.S Coffee and spicy foods were never a problem for me (which is just as well because I live on java and love a good Ruby)
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I don't see how I could be getting acid reflux. I'm vegan; my diet is really low in fat and completely devoid of animal products. I rarely eat spicy food or citrus. I eat mostly raw fruits and veggies, and for the most part practice proper food combining. I used to struggle with acid before I went vegan and it's come back on and off, but now it's really bad. I can't sleep. I just had a piece of raw ginger and that seemed to help... But what could be causing this and how can I stop it? ????

I just reread your post and saw that you "eat mostly raw fruits and veggies". It could be a digestive problem that you are having. It actually is fairly difficult to digest raw vegetables--probably why we developed cooking. :wink: Cooking them not only makes them more digestible but it makes more of their precious micro-nutrients available. If you are eating large quantities of fruit, I would stop doing so. Fruitarianism (an all-fruit diet) is associated with pancreatic cancer. Large amounts of fructose, whether it is from fruit or eating sugar (sugar is 50% fructose) is very hard on the organs put to work with its ingestion (liver and pancreas).

Also, when you say that you eat very little fat, that could be a problem. Consistently eating below 45 grams of fat per day is deleterious to health. The body is very dependent on getting a steady supply of fat to stay healthy and you need at least 45 grams per day to be healthy. If you are eating nuts and avocados, that will help you to get the fat you need. On your profile, you said that you feel better with very low fat in your diet. That likely needs to be investigated by a physician to rule out liver/gall bladder issues.
  • Spnneil06
    Spnneil06 Posts: 18,745 Member
    Options
    3 months no more acid reflux and I had it so bad it would affect my swallowing, felt like my throat was closing up. It does have to do with diet sometimes, and sometimes it's just the person! Talk to your doctor, try new things. You are already keeping a food diary try writing down what nights it happens most and what you consumed.
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Mine stopped when I started having breakfast before going to work as oppossed to eating at work.

Might not work for you but it might be worth trying, I know how bad it can be not only painful but really uncomfortable.
  • Shropshire1959
    Options
    3 months no more acid reflux and I had it so bad it would affect my swallowing, felt like my throat was closing up. It does have to do with diet sometimes, and sometimes it's just the person! Talk to your doctor, try new things. You are already keeping a food diary try writing down what nights it happens most and what you consumed.

QFT
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    How soon do you go to bed after you eat? I get horrible acid reflux if I eat anything say less than 2 hours before I go to bed. I didn't used to but as I get older it seems to get worse.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options

Yes mine did.

Mine stopped when I reduced my carb intake as well. For most people, it may not have anything to do with what you eat... But for some, like me and the above poster, it did.
  • DireWolfCurse
    DireWolfCurse Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Reflux has nothing to do with what you eat. It may be the result of a hiatal hernia or just due to a past sore throat. In my case, I was diagnosed with silent reflux as the result of a sore throat I had last winter. I had a persistant cough afterwards that I finally went to my Dr. about. She sent me to an ENT, who took a couple of simple tests and came up with that diagnosis. Silent reflux is when the food doesn't come back all the way up your esophogus and doesn't have the burning sensation. The treatment was a prescription-strength Prednisone (available otc) and otc Zantac for two months + stopping a list of foods (the hardest part) for a while. Now, I'm just taking some Zantac and I've added back those foods occasionally.

First, reflux absolutely has to do with what you eat, in many cases. The hiatal hernial scenario is the exception rather than the rule. http://www.webmd.com/ahrq/treating-acid-reflux-disease-with-diet-lifestyle-changes
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Mine was due to a hiatal hernial, had to take a prescription medicine every day for years, if I knew I would be drinking alcohol I would have to double up otherwise I would become physically ill. Once I lost all the weight, I get a little heartburn when I drink alcohol, but the acid reflux is pretty much gone. If you don't think yours is caused by food, then go see a doctor and have a scope done.