Improving Deadlift Grip

Options
I'm having trouble with my grip on my Deadlift. Yesterday i was deadlifting 118lbs and I could do more reps but my grip fails on me first. I do try to reset my grip but i can't always keep going because it just hurts my hand. I Deadlift bare-handed. Does chalk help with this?

Replies

• Tomm88
    Tomm88 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Chalk helps alot if you have access to it, if you don't you'll just have to strenghen your grip, keep deadlifting and throw some assistance work in there, i found that one armed dumbell rows helped my grip alot, sets of 20 with the heaviest weight i could handle. Hope that helps:)
    default Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    chalk
    use one reversed grip
    hold the bar deep in your hand (I don't know how to explain this well)

your hand will develop callouses and after a while it won't hurt. it's supposed to be difficult and put strain on your body, that's the point.

in your pic I see you wearing gloves, these could actually hinder your development, throw them out.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Other people with more experience and knowledge will say if I'm corrcet or not, but I thought that it was the forearm strength that affected the grip in the deadlift.
    I struggle with my grip as well in my left hand, but was told by my trainer that it was the forearm that was causing the weak grip, the only one where I find it genuinely hurts my hand is when I'm using the hex bar, the grip sections are really rough and tear my hands to pieces!!

Maybe also ask the question in the gaining weight section, as a lot of the lurkers in there lift heavy weights.
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options

in your pic I see you wearing gloves, these could actually hinder your development, throw them out.

Lol, people on this site really hate gloves. They reduce your grip strength a little bit, but not ridiculous extent. I do just fine with mine.

OP - mixed grip; chalk; and there's always the option of straps if that isn't enough
  • JCLondonUK
    JCLondonUK Posts: 159
    Options
    My weedy grip was really holding back my deadlifts, so my trainer got some hooks for me to use, which are great. I now do a mixture of lifting without the hooks, in order to improve my grip strength, and with them, which has enabled me to steadily increase the weight again. I know some people will disapprove, but if it's a choice between being stalled for ages on deadlifts while you improve your grip, on the one hand, or improving both, on the other, it seems like a no-brainier to me.

Good luck!
  • rf1583
    rf1583 Posts: 65
    Options
    That's an older pic. I should update it. I did wear gloves for a while and then did find it was better without the gloves. I will try the chalk.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Just hang in there. Literally. The more you train grip, the stronger it becomes. Do dead hangs with the weighted bar until failure ie you cannot hold on any more. Load the bar to 50% of your 1RM and hold until you just have to put it down. Or hang off a pull up bar and just dangle.

As for gloves, chalk, mixed grip etc - I would personally avoid using aids until you're approaching double bodyweight deads. I am pushing double BW and still do standard grip.

I don't really have callouses either - the trick is to work out how the bar will sit once you're fully holding the weight in your hands and make your initial grip such that the bar is already in its final position. (It's a trick I learnt from climbing to minimise damaging your hands.)

PS chalk will only improve friction and not strength or endurance of your forearm muscles which I suspect is where the weakness is.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Try chalk. I would also use mixed grip.

I have also added exercises as an accessory to increase grip strength such as Farmer's Walk
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    I have also added exercises as an accessory to increase grip strength such as Farmer's Walk

Ooh, good exercise!
  • ElPoppi
    ElPoppi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I ditched the gloves and my grip strength seemed to double if not triple, but caluses can get pretty bad.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Chalk and mixed grip. Also, take up some light weights (try to make as heavy as possible) and try to lift with your fingers only. It strenghtens your fingers.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    do farmer walks, heavy shrugs, dead hangs as someone mentioned, if your doing curls or whatever grip the weights as hard as you can. the more you work grip the better it gets

if your going to use chalk, gloves or mixed grip thats fine, you shouldnt let grip strength stall you on anything, even use straps if you have to. just work grip in other ways if you do this to keep it up to par
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    Oh, I just noticed from your pic, OPer, that your plates have a little bit sticking out around the rim. You could pick up and hold a weight in each hand just using the extending bit of the plate around the rim. That will push your grip strength no end! (Dunno if my description makes sense?)
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Happens to me when I DL heavier than the usual - calluses gets in the middle and it gets uncomfortable + I loose grip.
    You DL heavier than the usual or it just happens every time?

Always have pads in my sport bag which helps me out when it happens!
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Chalk

Mixed Grip (I only use it on heavy sets)

Farmers walk
    Dumbbell work
    More Deadlifts
  • kessler4130
    kessler4130 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Please keep in mind, regardless of what anyone says, straps exist for a reason. I do not use them for my warm up or high rep sets, but do use them on my 1RM sets and such. If you are having grip issues do not be afraid to implement straps, the primary purpose for doing dead lifts is to strengthen your back, core, hamstrings, etc.(unless you are lifting with the intention of competing, but even some of the best power lifters train with straps), I would not sacrifice a back work out for the pride of saying I don't use straps.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    ^Farmer's Carry is a way to do it. If you have kettlebells those are ideal, dumbbells otherwise. Walk as far as you can, stop and rest a bit, then turn around and repeat.

If you have a pullup bar and can just hand on it as long as you can, you are doing very much the same thing.

If the gloves work for you, use them. I always used them when I lifted weights and they almost always helped. Started doing Crossfit which can be very anti-glove (but certainly not always as anyone who watched the Crossfit Games realized) and haven't used them since. Your hands will be a bit tender at first and you need to do some maintenance and trim your calluses on occasion but overall I like bare hands better.

Especially on something like deadlifts going heavy I'd find the gloves slipping in my grip or really digging into the inside of my fingers. No such problems barehanded.
  • matgh124
    matgh124 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Just hang in there. Literally. The more you train grip, the stronger it becomes. Do dead hangs with the weighted bar until failure ie you cannot hold on any more. Load the bar to 50% of your 1RM and hold until you just have to put it down. Or hang off a pull up bar and just dangle.

As for gloves, chalk, mixed grip etc - I would personally avoid using aids until you're approaching double bodyweight deads. I am pushing double BW and still do standard grip.

I don't really have callouses either - the trick is to work out how the bar will sit once you're fully holding the weight in your hands and make your initial grip such that the bar is already in its final position. (It's a trick I learnt from climbing to minimise damaging your hands.)

PS chalk will only improve friction and not strength or endurance of your forearm muscles which I suspect is where the weakness is.

I agree with my friend here. Just keep doing the dead lifts and your grip will come. chalk will only increase friction, that's it.
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    plate-pinch.jpg