I need help with a exercise

Options
I am a farrier, so I shoe and trim horses, and am at a loss as to how to track this. Today I trimmed a horse she was really good. Took me 30 minutes sweating like a banchee. I looked everywhere as to how I should track this. I found that someone said you should take yoga and Pilate's and double your time..... This just doesn't look right. That's 318 a piece.... Does this sound right? Does anyone have any suggestions? Cause its telling me I have like 1700 calories left to eat and I'm really not hungry

Replies

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    ok..don't know any farriers or anything about shoeing horses, but I do know that if it is an activity I do every day (like carrying around my kids) I don't log it. Maybe you should just put your setting that your very active and not log any calories burned for shoeing a horse since you do it every day?
  • Cricket05
    Options
    Its not an everyday activity. I also work at a hardware store and walk a lot so I don't log that. I probably do it twice a week if I'm lucky.
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend getting a HRM. If you get a good one it can track how many calories you worked off doing this.
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend getting a HRM. If you get a good one it can track how many calories you worked off doing this.

^^^^^^^
    This
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^
    This

^Not this

HRM's have algorithms that predict calorie burn on the fact that you are working doing steady state aerobic activity. You'll get a wildly inaccurate burn using one for an activity like this.

If you do it regularly twice a week, either leave your activity level where it is and see how it affects your weight loss. Or slightly up your activity level to account for this regular activity.
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^
    This

^Not this

HRM's have algorithms that predict calorie burn on the fact that you are working doing steady state aerobic activity. You'll get a wildly inaccurate burn using one for an activity like this.

If you do it regularly twice a week, either leave your activity level where it is and see how it affects your weight loss. Or slightly up your activity level to account for this regular activity.

There are HRMs that allow you to configure the watch to different exercise activities (Bike, Hike, Interval, Row, Run, Ski, Strength, Walk, X-Train). Although the watch still calculates a calorie burn based on your heart rate, you might be able to find a setting that best matches shoeing horses.
  • JoannaEngel84
    JoannaEngel84 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I can give you help with AN exercise. Try a heart rate monitor. This will give you a more accurate idea of calorie burn than just guessing.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^
    This

^Not this

There are HRMs that allow you to configure the watch to different exercise activities (Bike, Hike, Interval, Row, Run, Ski, Strength, Walk, X-Train). Although the watch still calculates a calorie burn based on your heart rate, you might be able to find a setting that best matches shoeing horses.

Sounds like a kludge that will produce an unsatisfactory result.

If it's a constantly occurring activity that isn't going to have a massive calorie burn, then it's best dealt with using the activity multiplier. In fact, I wouldn't record it at all and see how it affects my predicted weight loss at my current multiplier. If I'm losing faster, then there's a case for using a higher multiplier. If I'm losing at the predicted rate, then leave it be.

Recording calories burns for this type of stuff usually ends up with posts like "I've tried everything and still can't lose weight..."