Homemade Yogurt - Help?

Options
Tingababoo
Tingababoo Posts: 51 Member
Hi

My friend always makes her own yogurt and it always turns out perfect.
She boils her milk, waits until it cools down and adds a spoon of plain yogurt. She then leaves it in a warm place (oven/microwave or countertop depending on the temp that day) for a around 8 hours then refrigerates. Voila! Perfect every time. No thermometer, no starter.

I made the mistake of adding my plain yogurt while the milk was still boiling hot. Now 24 hrs later its still runny like milk -oops...

1. What can I do with this milk now? Is it safe to use in smoothies? I don't make Pancakes/Waffles...
2. Anyone have a no-thermometer/starter recipe?

Thank You ^_^

Replies

• RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    To make yogurt you need the bacteria . When you added it to boiling hot milk you killed them. I would just start over with the same milk but this time add the yogurt at the correct temperature.
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    The mik is fine, it's exactly the same as any other boiled milk.

When the milk has cooled enough for you to hold your pinkie in it for 20 seconds then put in 3 tbsps of yogurt per litre (or 2 pints) of milk. Perfect everytime as long as you remember to BOIL the milk, not just left it steam.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    don't see why you can't use it now as you would normal milk. The boiling first thing may not be necessary - if using raw milk then yes, you should bring it to the boil first (if I recall).

Last time I made yoghurt I used raw milk, brought gently to the boil, then allowed to cool. When it was 'finger hot' (ie. you could put your finger in it for a good few seconds) add a tablespoon of live yoghurt.

Then store in a warm place for several hours - a thermos flask is useful for this as you want to maintain a constant warm temperature. Too hot and the fermentation process is killed (as with yeast in bread)

the book 'Wild fermentation' by Sandor Ellix Katz is good for all kinds of recipes like this. Happy yoghurt making!!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    To make yogurt you need the bacteria . When you added it to boiling hot milk you killed them. I would just start over with the same milk but this time add the yogurt at the correct temperature.

Pretty much this. We make our own yogurt back home. Also, don't try to do it in a "pot" but rather a pan that isn't very shallow.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    This was a great reminder, thank you! I learned how to make yogurt in the fall but didn't have anywhere "just right" to put it to let the yogurt form. Oven was too hot, everywhere else too cool. I promised myself I would try again in the summer so I could use the hot garage, and now summer's almost gone and I forgot all about it!

I'm definitely making some yogurt this week. :flowerforyou:
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Let the milk cool to around baby bottle temperature before adding the culture. One of the main purposes of boiling in cooking is to kill bacteria. That's your problem.

It also helps to not use the lowest fat milk. 2% milk will make a less runnier yogurt than 1% or skim milk. Whole milk will be thicker yet. Commercial low fat yogurts add starches and other thickeners to account for the lack of stability that all those miniature fat globules provide. It still won't be thick like Greek style unless you use fine mesh or a filter to strain off the extra water on the finished batch.
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    The mik is fine, it's exactly the same as any other boiled milk.

When the milk has cooled enough for you to hold your pinkie in it for 20 seconds then put in 3 tbsps of yogurt per litre (or 2 pints) of milk. Perfect everytime as long as you remember to BOIL the milk, not just left it steam.
    I do the same and it's perfect every time. Make sure you clean your pot very well everytime and don't lick the spoon.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    You're not supposed to boil the milk. You heat it to 180 degrees F then let it cool down to around 115 degrees F. When it hits the 115 degrees then you whisk in your yogurt starter, pour it in jars or what ever you're using and put it in a warm place for 8-12 hours. Refrigerate for about 3 hours to allow it to firm up.

If you're using raw milk like I do you heat the milk up to only 100 degrees, add the starter, pour into jars and put in a warm place for 24 hours. Refrigerate for a a few hours and it's good to go.

I've been making my own yogurt for about half a year now so my starter that I use is all mine. I will never go back to store bought.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    This was a great reminder, thank you! I learned how to make yogurt in the fall but didn't have anywhere "just right" to put it to let the yogurt form. Oven was too hot, everywhere else too cool. I promised myself I would try again in the summer so I could use the hot garage, and now summer's almost gone and I forgot all about it!

I cover mine with towels and put it in the oven with the light on. I have never found it to be "too hot" and my yogurt comes out just fine.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options

I cover mine with towels and put it in the oven with the light on. I have never found it to be "too hot" and my yogurt comes out just fine.

Clever! I was trying to follow instructions that said to heat your oven to 100˚ and mine doesn't go below 200˚. So would heat it up then leave the door open for a bit, and somehow I always ended up with runny yogurt. Thanks for the tip!
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    To clarify you DEFINITELY SHOULD boil the milk, this has very little to do with bacteria in the milk and more to do with denaturing the proteins, if the proteins are not nicely broken up by boiling you will get slimy/stringy yogurt.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    To clarify you DEFINITELY SHOULD boil the milk, this has very little to do with bacteria in the milk and more to do with denaturing the proteins, if the proteins are not nicely broken up by boiling you will get slimy/stringy yogurt.

Scald, not boil. Heat to around 180 deg F.

Milk boils at around 212 depending on altitude.