This can of beans...

Options
myukniewicz
myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
WHAT CAN I DO WITH THIS DAMM CAN OF BEANS!

IMAG0875.jpg

its been in my pantry i dont know how long, and i would really like to eat them :)
Any good (PREFERABLY VEGETARIAN) ideas on what to do with this can of beans??

No chili idea's please, i got chili under control :smokin:

Thanks in advance!
-Melissa

Replies

• louiseei
    louiseei Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    put them in a rice salad or a bean and veg soup?
  • cflorkie
    cflorkie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    cook them in a pan, add rice and a dash of 25% less salt taco spice. Voila. tacos!
  • nisharae
    nisharae Posts: 204
    Options
    if you like spicy food.. do a red beans and rice.... lots of yummy spices to kick it up... ;)
  • Tomlette
    Options
    Heat them in a pot and eat them?? *lol* That's what I do with kidney beans
  • naomihandler
    naomihandler Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I normally add beans to my salads. I just add a half of a cup for protein. I also like beans in rice as mentioned above.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    veggie chili!
  • strivingfor130
    strivingfor130 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian enchiladas maybe? I've made them before with a recipe that calls for kidney beans (but I accidentally got a different red bean) but either way they are really good!
  • crystaltrejo
    crystaltrejo Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    chop up, red onions, your beans, celery, tomatoes, cilantro, equal and some vinegar and eat with pita chips, it's called texas caviar.:drinker:
  • agordon415
    Options
    I had the same problem just the other day. I mixed mine with a can of spiced crushed tomatoes and spaghetti sauce added meat (which is not needed) and used whole wheat pasta. I called mine chili spaghetti (which I know you didn't want chili, but didn't know what else to call something with beans in it :o) It was actually good and my 11 year old son even liked it. Just throw some spices in it for some extra flavor.
  • Gogo76
    Gogo76 Posts: 581
    Options
    Salsa Red Beans and Rice

Prep Time:5 Min
    Cook Time:5 Min
    Ready In:10 Min

Original Recipe Yields 8 servings

Ingredients
    1 medium green pepper, chopped
    1/4 cup chopped red onion
    3 green onions, finely chopped
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    5 cups cooked brown rice
    1 1/4 cups salsa
    1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions
    In a large nonstick skillet, saute the green pepper, onions and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the rice, salsa, beans and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2-3 minutes or until heated through.

Nutritional Analysis: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 215 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 401 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    You've got lotsa good suggestions here. Almost makes me want to go buy a can of beans....................
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to try some bean salads!

KIDNEY BEAN SALAD
    www.cooks.com

2 lb. 8 1/2 oz. kidney beans
    1 sm. stalk celery
    1 lg. red onion
    mayonnaise or salad dressing

Pour kidney beans in strainer. Run cold water until all syrup is off. Put in large bowl adding celery, red onion and mayonnaise or salad dressing. Chill. You can also garnish with slices of hard boiled egg on top of salad.
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Have also read about mixing kidney beans, black beans, cilantro, lime juice, red onion and a little tiny bit of LF italian dressing. Mix, let chill, eat. Don't let a good bean go to waste! :wink:
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    You've got lotsa good suggestions here. Almost makes me want to go buy a can of beans....................

haha, tell me about it! Thanks everyone, yall's ideas are amazing :)
  • GravyGurl
    GravyGurl Posts: 1,070
    Options
    There was a lovely Italian Vegetable Stew recipe posted the other day that I cooked up.... that would make a lovely addition to the stew also!!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    red kidney beans are the BEST in taco salad (don't forget the dorothy lynch dressing!).
  • Ilovepeppers
    Ilovepeppers Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I take that exact can of beans and put it in a frying pan. Add:

1/2 bell pepper
    1/4 cup salsa
    1/4 cip onion
    1/4 cup green onion
    1/2 cup tomatoes
    1 cup mushrooms if you like them
    Little cilantro
    And any other veggies...

Put cooking spray or small amount of oil in pan to cook veggies and then add beans and let simmer 2 minutes.
    For crunchier veggies add beans and salsa to pan first and them add veggies to that and let cook on medium for 6 minutes.

For
    Vegan and vegetarian! Low in cals (serv size 2 cups). Put brown rice or some corn on the side and put the beans on a w armed wheat tortilla... SO YUMMY. I have it 3 times a eek.