Bread recommendations

Options
Yea I can't give it up completely. I use spinach tortilla wraps, but love my bread for sandwiches. I am buying some flaxseed bread today. Ant recommendations on really healthy bread-low calorie and fat wise, while high in fiber/complex carbs?

Replies

• Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Back when I could eat bread, I really liked Josephs oat bran and flax seed pita bread.
  • PowerfulHunt
    PowerfulHunt Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel 4:9 Cinnamon Raisin Sprouted Whole Grain Bread ..

80cal & 1g fat per slice.. Really delicious! Find it in the frozen food section.
  • Stella_Mayfair
    Stella_Mayfair Posts: 226 Member
    Options

80cal & 1g fat per slice.. Really delicious! Find it in the frozen food section.

Ty will write it down so I don't forget it :D
  • mathmatt
    mathmatt Posts: 58 Member
    Options

I'm a huge fan of the Ezekiel breads.
  • keegan2149
    keegan2149 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Anything with grains is ok. Bread really isn't that bad for you as long as your diet is balanced. Four or more grams of fiber and around 100 calories per slice is probably the best you can do. Tortillas aren't great. They have twice the calories and don't fill you up as much. That's why they taste so good lol. A friend of mine got me into toast with a slice of tomato and melted goat cheese. It's kind of girly but it's pretty healthy. GL!
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Buy a bread maker and experiment with your own recipes. That's my recommendation. Nothing is better than homemade bread!
  • Stella_Mayfair
    Options
    Ty all, so many amazing recommendations I have no idea. Low cal is great and fiber... Gonna be a tough call for me today.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Yea I can't give it up completely. I use spinach tortilla wraps, but love my bread for sandwiches. I am buying some flaxseed bread today. Ant recommendations on really healthy bread-low calorie and fat wise, while high in fiber/complex carbs?

I'd be weary of flax seed bread, if what you're after is a lower calorie bread. Depending on the brand, calories per slice can be between 90 to 100. The average whole wheat bread is around 60 to 70 calories per slice. They profess that all flax seed bread is low carb, however it can contain upto 18g of carbs per slice VS whole wheat bread 12g per slice.
  • Stella_Mayfair
    Options

I'd be weary of flax seed bread, if what you're after is a lower calorie bread. Depending on the brand, calories per slice can be between 90 to 100. The average whole wheat bread is around 60 to 70 calories per slice. They profess that all flax seed bread is low carb, however it can contain upto 18g of carbs per slice VS whole wheat bread 12g per slice.

True enough. Loving the 40 cal bread lol. I just want them for sandwiches or eggs. Not a toast person
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options

True enough. Loving the 40 cal bread lol. I just want them for sandwiches or eggs. Not a toast person

Ditto@sandwiches. :happy:
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Depending on what fits my macros/calories at the time, I have both the Healthy Life 35 calorie/slice whole wheat bread and the Trader Joe's California style sprouted wheat bread on hand (I keep them in the freezer since I AM a toast person). The former is quite a bit more like eating air, but it's 35 calories/slice, has like 5g of fiber per slice or something, and is a perfectly acceptable vehicle for an egg or peanut butter or something. The latter is far tastier and has and good amount of protein for bread.
  • rf1583
    rf1583 Posts: 65
    Options
    If you have stop n shop nearby, I eat the Nature's Promise Whole Wheat Bread. 90 calories, 1.5g of fat, 5g of fiber. And it tastes good!
  • alska
    alska Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I use Schwebel's Smart Light (Wheat) Bread ... it's 70 cals for 2 slices

http://www.schwebels.com/freshly-baked-breads/lite-breads/smart-lite-wheat
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel sprouted flax bread:
    80 calories
    4 g fiber
    14 carbs

I love it!

Also Calandras whole wheat bread-only 4 ingredients: whole wheat flour, yeast, purified water and salt.
    3 g fiber
    31g carb
    100 calories per 43g
    Delicious!!!
  • arsail
    arsail Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Have you tried P28? They make bread, bagels and flat bread. It's very good tasting and high in protein.
  • nikkohli
    nikkohli Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I really like the "Flat Out" fold-its. They are thicker than tortillas and fold in half to feel more like a sandwich.

http://www.flatoutbread.com/products/foldit-artisan-flatbread/5-grain-flax/

90 cals, 7g protein, 7 g fiber, 15g carbs