Youth Cutting Weight For Sports

Options
Would you allow your child to cut weight for sports if they decided to?

Let's just say your 9 yr old child is about 5-7 pounds over the limit for his age group in football. Has a little fat and is over BMI (which I always question anyways), but is 5'2" and tallest kid in 4th grade. Weighs 125.

You give him the option to move up an age group or play with a non restricted league since he really isn't overweight. He doesn't want to do that. He wants to cut the 5lbs. He knows if he stays in age group he'll close to the biggest in the league and what 9 yr old who is obsessed with football doesn't want that? Do you support this or do you side with this is too young to do it? Do you help them do it in a safe way to teach them if they chose to do this at higher levels you do it the right way and not in a risky way?

Replies

• bamagrits15
    bamagrits15 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Of course this is all theoretical.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I have all boys, and they're all different sizes (an "average", a "shorty/lightweight", and a "tall/big"). I have always found the league that fits the kid at the size they are works best, not "fitting" the kid (by dieting) to the league.

Talk with the coaches. If they think he's ready, maybe a bump up to an older league is appropriate. Otherwise, the open league sounds like an appropriate placement, too.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I think this theoretical child is overweight and if he were mine I'd have him lose weight for his health.

"Based on the height and weight entered, the BMI is 21.5, placing the BMI-for-age at the 95th percentile for boys aged 9 years 0 months. This child is obese and is likely to have health-related problems because of weight and should be seen by a healthcare provider for further assessment."

http://nccd.cdc.gov/dnpabmi/Calculator.aspx
  • JoeCampbell85
    Options
    I would let my child lose weight, more for health than the sport though. People attack anyone that tries to put their kid on a diet but the same people complain about the increased obesity epidemic. Can't win societies approval either way. Kids, like all humans, need to be within a healthy weight range if you want them to be healthy.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Is he out of the range based on his BMI, or based on a number on the scale (i.e., they must all be within a range of X number of pounds, regardless of height)?

If he's really enjoying football and you can see him playing for a long time, I would consult with his pediatrician and work on a plan to help him slowly lose a few pounds if that's what *he* wants, because learning how to make healthier food choices now could be good for him in the long run... I have a close relative that wrestled in high school at 5'11" and 139lbs (16-17 year old male...), and played football later that same year at something like 186lbs... so was constantly losing and gaining large amounts of weight between seasons... very drastic.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I would focus on my child's health first and foremost but he wouldn't cut anything unless advised by his pediatrician for health reasons. Otherwise, I agree with Williams969, find a league that fit the child. He is going to lose some weight just being in football anyway.
  • bamagrits15
    Options
    I think this theoretical child is overweight and if he were mine I'd have him lose weight for his health.

"Based on the height and weight entered, the BMI is 21.5, placing the BMI-for-age at the 95th percentile for boys aged 9 years 0 months. This child is obese and is likely to have health-related problems because of weight and should be seen by a healthcare provider for further assessment."

This is crap. Not you, the info. A healthy BMI is 18.5–24.9 for adults. So why is this obese for a child who just happens to be genetically beast?

A child of this height is in the 99th percentile based on CDC measurements. Being that he is taller than 99% of kids of course he would weigh more.

Cookie cutter numbers suck IMO. The same calculator wants me to weight 148. I'd look like a crack head. It also puts some on of the greatest professional athletes in our country as obese.

Say a pediatrician was consulted about these "obese" figures. She may or may not have laughed.

Not to belittle your help at all! Not by any means.
  • JoeCampbell85
    Options

This is crap. Not you, the info. A healthy BMI is 18.5–24.9 for adults. So why is this obese for a child who just happens to be genetically beast?

A child of this height is in the 99th percentile based on CDC measurements. Being that he is taller than 99% of kids of course he would weigh more.

Cookie cutter numbers suck IMO. The same calculator wants me to weight 148. I'd look like a crack head. It also puts some on of the greatest professional athletes in our country as obese.

Say a pediatrician was consulted about these "obese" figures. She may or may not have laughed.

Not to belittle your help at all! Not by any means.

BMI is notoriously bad under almost every condition, especially in muscular people. I'm not sure the accuracy on children but I don't know many muscular children. By "beast" I assume you mean that he is just "big boned." An overused excuse, though if, hypothetically, you wanted to get him tested for BF%. Remember, just because fat isn't pouring off at the surface doesn't mean it's not there. I was 6'2 and 195 lbs in the army. and, appearance wise, fit. My skin-caliper test constantly showed 13-15% BF. However, a DEXA scan revealed a much higher level of visceral fat than I anticipated, and I can assure you my true BF was not 13-15%.
  • bamagrits15
    Options
    Note this child isn't pushed by crazy parents trying to live out broken breaks. This is 100% him. His options. His desire to put in the work to get what he wants.
  • bamagrits15
    Options
    [/quote]

BMI is notoriously bad under almost every condition, especially in muscular people. I'm not sure the accuracy on children but I don't know many muscular children. By "beast" I assume you mean that he is just "big boned." An overused excuse, though if, hypothetically, you wanted to get him tested for BF%. Remember, just because fat isn't pouring off at the surface doesn't mean it's not there. I was 6'2 and 195 lbs in the army. and, appearance wise, fit. My skin-caliper test constantly showed 13-15% BF. However, a DEXA scan revealed a much higher level of visceral fat than I anticipated, and I can assure you my true BF was not 13-15%.
    [/quote]

Beast I mean like you look at him and think football. 6'0 mom. Uncles who range from 6'2" - 6'5" and who look like linemen. I mean jr high coaches mistaking him for one of their new players.

I think the BF% is a great idea and something that will be done.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I think where BMI is less useful is for people with low body fat percentage but higher weight due to muscle mass. I've never seen a well-muscled 9 year old and would suspect it's not possible, given lack of testosterone. But I'd go by my doctor's rec.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Here's my take from a different perspective:

Weight limits are enforced to keep child sports safe for all who play, and take into account the wide range of body sizes and growth rates of children who may be the same age.

If the weigh-ins only occur at the beginning of the season, and your child loses 5 pounds to make weight but then quickly regains it all, how safe do you think the children at the low end of the weight range will be when they have to face him on the line?

In wrestling and MMA-type sports it is an acceptable practice to "cut weight" by dehydrating and quickly regain it by hydrating after weigh-ins. I would guess that most combat-type sport competitors accept that this will happen.

I don't think that would be the case in a less competitive type of kids' football league. Your kid could seriously hurt another kid for no reason at all, other than wanting to be the biggest and best. I would encourage my kid to do the right thing and join a league that includes other kids his size.

From a competitive point of view, your kid would likely become a better football player by playing with kids that are at his level than he would by decimating little kids who are half his size.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about the weight of a 9yo. If he was fat and I were his mom, I start making healthy food and get rid of the junk food. Time to learn some healthy eating habits. But I wouldn't tell the kid to lose weight. He will grow and that will take care of the fat. If he learns healthy eating habits, it won't come back. And they may stick, so when he's 62, the grandchildren won't be crying while he's in surgery after his heart attack. :)

I wouldn't let a healthy 9yo try to "make weight." In high school, if he's wrestling, fine. No diuretics. I wouldn't push for it. But that's what wrestlers do in high school, so fine. But nine is too young for that. IMO.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    The only people whom you should be asking about this are the child's pediatrician and his coaches. Nobody here is qualified to tell you whether or not it's a good idea to help your child cut weight.

It wouldn't hurt to make sure that he's eating an age- and weight-appropriate amount of healthy food and getting adequate exercise. Any other methods of cutting weight probably aren't appropriate or safe for him.
  • bamagrits15
    Options
    Here's my take from a different perspective:

Weight limits are enforced to keep child sports safe for all who play, and take into account the wide range of body sizes and growth rates of children who may be the same age.

If the weigh-ins only occur at the beginning of the season, and your child loses 5 pounds to make weight but then quickly regains it all, how safe do you think the children at the low end of the weight range will be when they have to face him on the line?

In wrestling and MMA-type sports it is an acceptable practice to "cut weight" by dehydrating and quickly regain it by hydrating after weigh-ins. I would guess that most combat-type sport competitors accept that this will happen.

I don't think that would be the case in a less competitive type of kids' football league. Your kid could seriously hurt another kid for no reason at all, other than wanting to be the biggest and best. I would encourage my kid to do the right thing and join a league that includes other kids his size.

From a competitive point of view, your kid would likely become a better football player by playing with kids that are at his level than he would by decimating little kids who are half his size.

What this group does is requires the older of the age group to weigh though. So only the 9 yr olds have to weigh in. The 8 yr olds don't. And trust me coaches us this to their advantage big time. They'll put a giant 8 yr old across from a small 9 yr old in a minute. So it isn't like domination is the factor. This is the first yr with this group. He has played against bigger kids before in a non restrictive league. Played against some smaller ones who simply aren't taught sportsmanship and those are of far more concern. That is the exact reason the child picked this group. Better sportsmanship.

I don't think moving up is the "right thing". That would imply I think this child trying to be as fit as possible is the "wrong thing". And I don't think that at all. There are kids who are complete muscle and have no fat to lose.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    This is a tough one. I imagine I'd be ok with trying it as long as it was under my methods. That is, encouraging the 9 year old to be more active and perhaps more closely monitoring snacks, food groups at meals. I would not allow anything aggressive.
  • bamagrits15
    Options
    This is a tough one. I imagine I'd be ok with trying it as long as it was under my methods. That is, encouraging the 9 year old to be more active and perhaps more closely monitoring snacks, food groups at meals. I would not allow anything aggressive.

No other way would be allowed. :)

My take is exactly this. If a child wants to lose weight for whatever reason why not show them the proper way to do it? Healthier eating and more exercise. Input from professionals taken to make sure it is safe before hand and follow their advice. I think it teaches that we take care of our bodies the right way. And with abuse of so much unhealthy stuff these days I think it is a good thing to learn at a young age that doing things the right way, the hard work way, gets us results we can be proud of.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I agree-but I don't think I'd allow or encourage a kid that age (or even my teen daughters) to get into calorie counting. I might consult my ped to see what a reasonable nutrition intake range would be, and I might keep an eye on daily totals. But I would not want that to become part of my kid's life.

I have 3 kids. One in 7th, one in 9th and one starting college (NEXT WEEK - YIKES). The 9th grader is in marching band with 3x a week practices, games on Friday starting next week, and sometimes Saturday camps. So plenty of activity. My oldest will be walking around campus 4 days a week. The youngest isn't really 'in' anything. So I gave her a pedometer to wear. Nothing complicated, and I didn't give her any kind of goal. But I know it encourages her to move more. Heard her say at one point Saturday morning "I only have 1.5 K so far". I figure encourage them to do the right things, but don't encourage them to fret over the minute details.

No other way would be allowed. :)

My take is exactly this. If a child wants to lose weight for whatever reason why not show them the proper way to do it? Healthier eating and more exercise. Input from professionals taken to make sure it is safe before hand and follow their advice. I think it teaches that we take care of our bodies the right way. And with abuse of so much unhealthy stuff these days I think it is a good thing to learn at a young age that doing things the right way, the hard work way, gets us results we can be proud of.
  • sydsquidlee
    sydsquidlee Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I completely understand weight limits for football, my 9 year old step son tops the scale at 65lbs. He is small, where as my 4 year old is already 47lbs at 42 inches tall. Kids are different sizes. If a kid eats healthy and is active thats all you can do. Now if there is some room for improvement, like no soda healthier snacks, then why not do that anyway. If he gets down a few pounds or not at least he will be healthier. Some extra activity can be helpful. Just being outside going for bike rides and walks is beneficial.
  • huntermaz
    huntermaz Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with them losing weight the right way. My 12 year old wanted to be under weight so he could run the ball again this year for football, currently 5'1 121. He lost about 7-9 pounds over serveral months. Just eating better, less fast food, not having two burgers for dinner, us buying lower calorie ice cream, and pushing water. He ran track in the spring but never dropped a pound because of bad eating habits. You can't workout enough for a bad diet, unless your going to workout 7 hours a day, 7 days a week.

What would be wrong is starving thereselfs to lose the weight. or trying to lose too much weight too soon.