I'm walkin, yes indeed.

Options
Can you lose a decent amount of weight by just walking? In addition to a healthy diet of course. Not running, not jogging. A 5 mile walk takes me a little under 2 hours (as far as I remember, haven't sone it in a while). Many folk have told me that it's not really doing anything unless you are running/jogging. Thoughts?

Replies

• blakjac6
    Options
    5 miles is 5 miles. You burn the same amount of calories if you run 5 miles vs walking 5 miles. It just takes longer to walk. Walking is one of the best exercises and you will see yourself shed the weight if you continue to walk everyday. :) goodluck!
  • Sherri71
    Sherri71 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutely! If you are walking and keeping within your calorie limit, you will absolultely lose weight. Good luck!!! :)
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Yes! the majority of the weight I lost was due to just walking. Just do it! :happy:
  • littlelioness
    Options
    I did!! I didn't have a car for about four months and lost almost 25 pounds walking! I even ate root beer floats like every night lol.
  • cakeordeath
    cakeordeath Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    walking is very good, and beter on your joints than jogging. keep it up and you will be losing in no time!
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Walking rocks!!! Just look at MY results...
  • brwnsugababe
    Options
    Walking is very therapeutical also. So its win/win with walking.
  • Levahna
    Levahna Posts: 132
    Options
    My first 35 pounds was all walking and learning to eat better. I have bad knees and plantar fasciatis so I haven't braved running and not sure I need to. It all comes down to moving and healthy eating! You can do it!!!
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Use a site like walkjogrun.net, you map out your walks using google maps satellite view, input your weight and your start/finish time and it works out the amount of calories you have burned. It is far more accurate then inputting a general exercise. I walk a 1.78 mile route with the dog, normally takes a good hour and burns 427 calories. So yas walking is great! :smile:

Ben.
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that I am prepping for a competition...

I was running a lot trying to get the weight off, but it wasn't working. My new coach said "you need to stop running, and start walking!" I was dumbfounded. BUT, with his explanation - it all made sense.

To burn fat, your body needs to access the fat. Running is not natural and what happens is that your body dips into your glycogen reserves (this is in your muscles) because it's easier to process for energy than fat. When you walk, your body searches for energy - but doesn't feel that it's an emergency, so it uses the fat instead of glycogen. So yes, you can burn the same amount of calories - but you may feel different when walking: Have more energy not feel like you're killing yourself trying to shed the weight.

I now walk 1hr each morning (on an empty stomache to use up my fat sources). I feel much better than when I was running. I have lots of energy etc... and know that the scale is moving. I am happy to have found this out cause I was ready to quit!!

SO WALK!! :) It's good for you in a number of ways!!
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Use a site like walkjogrun.net, you map out your walks using google maps satellite view, input your weight and your start/finish time and it works out the amount of calories you have burned. It is far more accurate then inputting a general exercise. I walk a 1.78 mile route with the dog, normally takes a good hour and burns 427 calories. So yas walking is great! :smile:

Ben.

Thanks for sharing that walkjogrun site. I've been using mapmyrun but yours looks better!
  • PonyTailedLoser
    PonyTailedLoser Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the answers : ) I'm heading out for a long walk now.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I do Leslie Sansones walk at home 30 minute 2 mile everyday twice and I love it gets alot more than you could do if you were just walking outside
  • mariasheehan
    Options
    Yes, I walked away my weight, I try and walk a few miles each day as long as the rain stays off, I can't believe how toned my body looks just from walking, my legs are rock hard!!! do it :-)
  • Nicole114
    Options
    Yes! It's amazing what walking can do! I lost 85 lbs 4 years ago JUST by walking (it took about just over a year.) Although I have gained it all back over the years but that's because I didn't change my lifestyle. This time I'm doing it again but also changing the way I eat! I have lost 11 lbs in 3 weeks! I walk 3.5 miles everyday (as long as it's not snowing out lol) and it is working!!! So yeah, WALK, WALK, WAK!!!