Meal Prep - How do YOU do it??

Options
2»

Replies

• Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    On sundays.. I take the entire huge package of chicken and do with it what I will and them put it in smaller containers for lunches/dinner etc.. I have also grilled up a bunch of turkey burgers on Sunday and stuck them in the fridge. Just add cheese and nuke. Viola dinner. It works with some veggies too, although they are crispy and fresh tasting as they are the day you do it. Soup and crock pot are awesome for this.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I like to cook a family-value pack of boneless skinless chicken breasts at 450 in a pan of water, with a bit of garlic and jalapeno. The water seems to help keep the chicken from drying out, and the spices make it bearable to eat as-is, but I rarely do that. After they cool, I take them out of the water, trim, and put in plastic to eat throughout the week as needed.

The chicken breasts as prepared don't have so much flavor that they overwhelm other things. So it's a perfect blank slate and I weigh out however much I need as I go:

--House of Tsang makes some very nice sauces: Hunan, peanut, Korean BBQ, etc. The ingredient lists don't hurt me to read, and they're few calories for a lot of flavor. 30 sec in the microwave to take the chill off the chicken and it's done.
    --Homemade kung pao sauce
    ^^both of these applications are awesome with veggies, too. Which I really need more of on any given day!
    --New Mexico or Chipotle chili powder - throw in some cumin if I'm feeling chili-ish. Perfect addition to quesadillas.

Basically, I lean on chicken to see me through the "what's easiest" times without reaching for bread. Not that there's ANYTHING wrong with bread, but not as 90% of your daily intake - which I could do, since it's right there & ready!

If chicken doesn't happen, getting sliced deli turkey can save me, although I do get tired of it. If you look at my diary, the current 5-day streak shows what happens when I get OUT of the prep habit. If you look back ~March, it was pretty dialed in. HTH!:drinker:
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    For me, the first step is admitting that I am lazy, which is an ugly word. I don't spend hours prepping or any of that nonsense.

*IF* you are lazy, admit it, own it. Then do something about it.

YES!! This took me years to figure out :flowerforyou:
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Great ideas bumping for reference
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    1521644_10152697412683854_2584323910268695350_n.jpg

This sums up my Sundays. 3lb+ bag of chicken breasts, 1-2lbs of cod, pot of small red beans. Chicken will be cubed, shredded, and left whole. Shredded will be sauteed in taco seasoning. Everything will be weighed and portioned out. I'll have a general game plan for on what I will be grabbing for lunch and dinner for the next 5 days.
  • EmilyStopFlying
    EmilyStopFlying Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    bump
  • slimmingfairy
    slimmingfairy Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this - it was really helpful
  • Mof3wc
    Mof3wc Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I meal plan and prep 2 weeks at a time but don't actually cook much of it. I cut (if needed) and bag meat in ziplock bags for each meal, then label and freeze, that way I can take out just 2 chicken breasts, or 1/2 lb hamburger instead if an entire package when I need it for that nights dinner and it's ready to use.

I also make up 4 slow cooker freezer meals (we're home late every tues/thurs) so I have to do thaw/put in crockpot.

Veggies get chopped, ready to eat/use.

And I make muffins, pancakes and waffles for the kids and freeze them for easy breakfasts.
  • jar819
    jar819 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • slimsteelerfan
    slimsteelerfan Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing! I prepare all my breakfasts and lunches on Sunday. Family knows the Tupperware is MINE! If I don't prep ahead of time, I will not stick to my food plan! Being prepared ahead of time helps out....ESPECIALLY if you have hectic mornings!
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    For breakfast, I usually plan/prepare the night before. Mostly it's a combination of overnight oatmeal, smoothies, yogurt parfaits, leftover dinner/lunch, or a breakfast wrap. For lunch at work, I cook 1-2 batches of a main meals during the weekends; things like curries, stews, meats and side vegetables. For treats, I have fruit. I portion them out and on the night before each workday, I just pack them up. I don't really snack so that's not a problem for me. However, if I do get the munchies, I always carry around snack-able items like cherry tomatoes, sugar snap peas, nuts, baked sweet potatoes, and extra fruit. Breakfast and lunch are the main meals for me. Dinner is usually lighter, depending on my mood and how many calories I have left for the day. Since I do have time to cook for dinner, it is usually anything I like/have in my kitchen.
  • alyssa_6481
    alyssa_6481 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Each Thursday/Friday I write out the dinners I plan to cook for the following week and make a list of what I need from the store for these meals (I also keep a list of the items I buy each week on the same piece of paper -- I created a template in Microsoft Word so it's easy to print and I also put space on there to include a total for budget tracking).

I shop on Fridays and prep on Sundays. My prep involves cutting all fresh fruits and veggies then putting them into containers for each day of the week. I also hard boil enough eggs for the week and throw them in the container with the veggies. I have found that brown eggs are better for boiling as they shell seems a little thicker making them less likely to crack in the boiling process and easier to peel.

I generally plan a Sunday dinner that will result in at least one to two days of lunches for my boyfriend (I generally eat plain greek yogurt flavored with nuts, cinnamon, and honey or a bed of spinach and sliced veggies with tuna for lunch so I will prep these at the same time for ease. If doing the salad type of lunch I put my more water saturated veggies on the bottom to help keep the spinach fresh!).

Other than that, the meals I plan throughout the week (I cook dinner pretty much every day) provide enough left overs to give my boyfriend variety and keep me from having to cook several meals a day.

Breakfast I usually cook that morning but will occasionally reheat scrambled eggs/turkey bacon or do a protein shake.