Should I weigh food raw or cooked?

2»

Replies

• bump
  • tiggsnanny
    tiggsnanny Posts: 366 Member
    Thanks, it's nice to see how other people track their food.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    USDA - debatable IMO. There is indeed a raw entry but also a cooked - let's say grilled as an example.
    I am eating grilled chicken, not raw chicken. Weight raw will be higher due to meat + liquids (water, left over blood, etc...). When grilling your chicken breast your weight will decrease due to loss in liquids and some of the fat will melt too - hence why I am tracking as cooked as opposed to raw.
    Anyhow - endless topic - to each his own I guess - as long as you remain consistent in what you do and your calories are aligned with goals and results everybody is fine!

Yep. I think raw is best where possible for similar reasons to pasta--if you routinely cook meat more it will weigh less than average and thus you will be underestimating your calories. While commercial meat of some sorts can be misleading when raw (injected with water) I don't personally buy those meats, but they also have specific package information that will be for raw usually.

But like I said, sometimes cooked is unavoidable--I eat lots of bone-in cuts, so am quite familiar with the cooked entries. I think we agree that what's important is that you don't use raw entries for cooked weights or vice versa. Otherwise the error should be pretty minor (or at least outweighed by other things, such as that calories for a particular cut are going to vary anyway).
  • Stopin_da_yoyo
    Stopin_da_yoyo Posts: 138 Member
    Raw
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    All this raw and cooked got me in the mood folks- beef sashimi it is for tonight!
  • tiggsnanny
    I didn't realise the database had raw and cooked entries :laugh:
  • wgaue
    wgaue Posts: 222 Member
    Food like pasta, rice, grits etc. "doubles" in weight/size when cooked. Foods like, meats and some veggies lose size/weight. Due too losing fat/juice etc.
  • Stopin_da_yoyo
    Stopin_da_yoyo Posts: 138 Member
    Raw
  • tiggsnanny
    ok drm raw it is :tongue:
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    I weigh my meats after they are cooked. You can lose one to two ounces when you cook something, even more when it's beef and you cook it well done. When I am eating 7 ounces of chicken breast, I am not going to be happy if I weigh it after cooking and find it only weighs 5 ounces, but I am logging the calories of a 7 ounce chicken breast. I am very selfish about my food! I like it too much to waste any calories.
  • pdank311
    pdank311 Posts: 137 Member
    I'd prob throw myself into traffic if 2oz pasta for 200 cal was based off of cooked weight :).

Raw.

If you are cooking for two weigh it twice. Once for cals(raw) , once for portioning for plating(cooked).
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Weigh your food raw.

50g of pasta is still 50g of actual pasta even after it's cooked... It's just soaked up some of the water.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I weigh my meats after they are cooked. You can lose one to two ounces when you cook something, even more when it's beef and you cook it well done. When I am eating 7 ounces of chicken breast, I am not going to be happy if I weigh it after cooking and find it only weighs 5 ounces, but I am logging the calories of a 7 ounce chicken breast. I am very selfish about my food! I like it too much to waste any calories.

If you use an entry for raw chicken (and the package information IS normally for raw), you are underestimating what you eat if you use the weight after cooking.

If you use a cooked entry there shouldn't be much difference, but if so (and using your numbers) the calories for 7 oz raw should be identical to those for 5 oz cooked.
  • ChrisManch
    ChrisManch Posts: 46 Member
    It depends what you are looking up.

eg. If you look up "Rice" then that would be the dry weight. If you looked up "Boiled Rice" or "Fried Rice" then it would be AFTER cooking.

Generally the nutritional information is given for the unprepared food unless stated otherwise.
  • tiggsnanny
    It's all a bit confusing for me lol i'm not the brightest button in the box :laugh:
  • janiceclark08
    janiceclark08 Posts: 1,341 Member
    I weigh most of my food cooked, if my meat is grilled I look up chicken breast grilled, or chicken breast skinless baked, theiy have a large variety of cooked items on my fitness pal calorie counter. I dont eat pasta usually but the pasta salad I purchase says on the box prepared calorie count also, most of them have both.
  • brookechooka89
    brookechooka89 Posts: 3 Member
    I have a high school ratio math test question for you.

Q.1.: If I have 1.8kg of raw roast meat

...then cook it

The roast meat is now 1.2kg of cooked roast meat.

If I measure 200g of cooked roast meat, what did it weigh raw?

What is the calculation?

A: (1800 / 1200) x 200 = 300

It's all well and good to weigh raw food, but when you're cooking roast meats, it's hard to feel like you're not just guessing / over estimating / under estimating.

I like to eat what's on my plate without feeling guilty that I've under calculated. I'm also a bit OCD when weighing so I like to be fairly close to the mark.

I hope this has helped atleast 1 person out there :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    If am just baking, frying, whathaveyou, I use the cooked weight. I like to log what I actually eat if I can. If it's going to get inextricably tangled with other ingredients, I'll log the raw version.
  • no_day_but_2day
    no_day_but_2day Posts: 222 Member

The thing is, you're actually eating 7oz of chicken breast. I just found this out. UNLESS you log it as 5oz of cooked chicken breast. BUT, if you log it as a generic chicken breast, raw you calories will be under than what you're actually eating.