Salad Dressing

Options
zzk0485
zzk0485 Posts: 51 Member
What kind of dressing do you guys eat? I have been trying to stick with balsamic vinagrette but I really don't like it, but wanting something healthy

Replies

• heidispideymfp
    heidispideymfp Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I make a honey and mustard dressing using 5Tsp honey, half a cup of whole grain mustard ( the original recipe called for Dijon) , 2 Tsp lemon juice and 1/4 c olive oil. Add salt , pepper and garlic powder to taste.

The original recipe said this serves 8, but I find it serves more like 20, so you'll have to figure that out yourself
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    My current favorites come from Harris Teeter: HT Traders Mandarin Ginger Poppy Seed and Pear Gorgonzola. They both have only 60 cals per serving (2 T) and are packed with flavor and spread easily, so you don't need more than a serving.
  • arumping
    arumping Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've been using Bolthouse Farms Ranch Dressing... has a yogurt base and is very good. 2 tbsp = 45 cals.
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I try not to worry too much about my salad dressing. I used to make my own balsamic and it was not satisfying. I now choose whatever dressing I'd like. I go with 1/2 fat poppyseed, and sometimes switch between others. Whatever fits your macros and satisfies you!
  • bohemian124
    bohemian124 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I make my own lemon vinaigrette - 1 part lemon juice, 2-3 parts extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. Sometimes I'll add just a touch of dijon, stone ground, or honey mustard. If I'm making Mexican/southwest food, I'll use lime instead of lemon.

I also like the Opa Greek Yogurt ranch dressing. It is less calories and fat than regular ranch, and I think it tastes better.

I used to HATE balsamic vinaigrette. Now I buy good quality flavored balsamic, and it makes a huge difference compared to the poor quailty stuff you get at the grocery store. I get mine from Outrageous Olive Oils and Vinegars (www.oliveoilarizona.com/). My favorite are strawberry, black currant, and lemongrass mint white balsamic. The lemongrass mint is great for hot weather and works so well with salads with fruit, especially watermelon. Their flavored olive oils are also really nice, especially the basil and blood orange (strawberry balsamic and basil oil make an amazing vinaigrette!).
  • AmZam05
    AmZam05 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Personally I really enjoy Catalina. Last time I bought it I got lite, but from now on I am getting full fat because it's better for the absorption of the vegetable's nutrients. I also like French, which is similar if you get the tangy variety. I think it tastes good on all different kinds of salads!
  • alfonsinarosinsky
    alfonsinarosinsky Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I use the Walden Farms dressings with no fat, no calories. Don't know how thats possible but its pretty good.
  • mattgeorge2
    Options
    I eat large salads daily and I find that I need different dressing to prevent boredom . I don't worry about low fat at all but I do watch added sugar. As long as I have the calories and fats to spare, I measure, record and eat them. Right now I'm on a lite blue cheese kick it's 90 calories for two table spoons I use 3 tablespoons on a 4 cup salad.
  • zzk0485
    zzk0485 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I am going to try that recipe it sounds really good. I have never had poppyseed so I'm anxious to try it. Right now I'm eating Catalina..I have always loved it!