Wanted: Started Heavy Lifting More then 50 lbs from Goal

Options
13»

Replies

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Do lift sessions and follow up with cardio. It will make your body stay in burning mode to repair and build muscle hours after your exercise routine has stopped. Unlike cardio alone which exercise burning ceases when the cardio ceases.

For lean muscle lower weight/higher reps
    For bulk muscle higher weight/lower rep
    Cardio after for longer caloric burn.

Advice given to me by my friend Gene Labrada (school friend of many years who is also active owner and trainer in his brothers company) who is also the brother of Lee Labrada (of Labrada nutrition-former world class bodybuilder). I trust this advise and see it work everytime I hit a plateau. I add about 5-10 pounds and then do cardio and the inches melt off.

Weird. I lost 53 lbs and went from over 35% BF to 17% lifting heavy with low reps. Got pretty lean.

Can't bulk in a deficit, so...
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Here was my timeline:
    First year I did lots of cardio, didn't log accurately, set my calorie goal too aggressive, didn't lose weight.
    Second and third year I did just a little cardio, lifted weights, set my calorie goal to a pound a week, logged fairly accurately (except weekends) lost 50 pounds.

IMG_20130924_060656_zpsc30772ab.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1380639685183_zps218147ba.jpg
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I have been reading the NROLFW and I am trying to figure out how to start it. I have been taking different strength training classes, which interestingly enough are doing some of the same moves in NROLFW- just lighter weights and more reps, so at least I know I am getting my form down.

Can anyone recommend a tasty protein powder?

There's a group here called NROL4W, and they have a link to pre-filled spreadsheets with all of the exercises laid out. It makes it a lot less confusing. My favorite protein powder is Optimum Nutrition's extreme milk chocolate. I would read this and stay away from the brands listed for now. http://www.newsinferno.com/nitrogen-spiking-scams-protein-supplement-customers/
  • SeptemberLondon
    SeptemberLondon Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Why wait? What would be the benefit? I'm legitimately curious what would deter you from starting now?

I'm just over 200 also...about 40 lbs. from my goal and very much prefer ST to cardio (but I still do cardio). The only drawback, as many have mentioned is that you won't see the scale move as quickly as you'd like. But this weekend my boyfriend called me "buff" and I'm taking that as a sexy compliment!
  • clcampbell1972
    clcampbell1972 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info!
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and at my heaviest I was 244 lbs, started with cardio only.
    Once I was about 220 lbs I started doing BodyPump classes, which is lighter weights at high reps, more like a circuit. It really helped me get stronger and I did notice that I was leaning out a little firmer than with cardio alone. Little by little I started moving away from Bodypump classes and started using more of the machines in the weight room.
    Even better strength! Not to mention the inches lost even when the scale didn't budge!!!

I'm 180 lbs now and started lifting heavier weights, challenging enough where I can only do about 10-12 reps. I use machines and free weights. I do a combo of both Cardio and weight training. I continued to do cardio the entire time, just added more and more weight training exercises.

I'm excited to see what results I get over the next couple months! :happy:

21525558.png
  • andibenoit
    andibenoit Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy! I'm down to a 10/12 from a 26/28. I started lifting a couple times a week from the beginning. I've hardly lost any weight over the last few months, but my size and shape continues to change.
  • ItsJordanNicole
    ItsJordanNicole Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    This thread just made my day!

I just started lifting with a trainer yesterday, I will be working with him twice a week. I'm very excited to see how my body will transform, but having a hard time mentally preparing for a possible stall in the scale.
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Start now, don't wait!

I was just shy of 180 lbs in December 2013 (had already lost 25) when I started kind of lifting, but not seriously. Maybe a day or two a week if I felt like it. Started getting serious about it mid March 2014, was down to 164. I was about 45 lbs off goal in December, about 30 lbs off goal in March. I've lost 20 lbs. between March and today. The changes in the composition and shape of my body have been astounding to me. I'm finally starting to get a "womans" figure, I have a real waist, and curves that I'm thrilled with. Check out my photos, there is a side by side December compared to June. I attribute lifting to the majority of the positive changes in my body shape. I love to run as well, but seriously, lifting does the trick!
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Do lift sessions and follow up with cardio. It will make your body stay in burning mode to repair and build muscle hours after your exercise routine has stopped. Unlike cardio alone which exercise burning ceases when the cardio ceases.

Advice given to me by my friend Gene Labrada (school friend of many years who is also active owner and trainer in his brothers company) who is also the brother of Lee Labrada (of Labrada nutrition-former world class bodybuilder). I trust this advise and see it work everytime I hit a plateau. I add about 5-10 pounds and then do cardio and the inches melt off.

Lean and bulk muscle...what?
  • tracied30
    Options

Weird. I lost 53 lbs and went from over 35% BF to 17% lifting heavy with low reps. Got pretty lean.

From the looks of it, you have been at this for some time, working on your lift weight. Don't you think tolerances to those weights has come to play? You didn't go right from one 35% extreme to 17% overnight by immediately lifting heavy with low reps, correct? Apparently op is still trying to lose weight...not just gain muscle. Therefore I see you point, but I think you aren't exactly seeing the OP's point. He isn't going to go right to enermous amount of heavy lifting while he is still trying to shed. Surely the concern is having muscle form or bulge under fat. Therefore the mix of lower weight to begin higher reps is still the way to go when initially incorporating the lift to a cardio routine for overall weight loss and muscle building. Thanks.
  • tracied30
    Options

Google. Here is a link to get you started: http://themusclediary.com/lean-muscle-vs-bulky-muscle/
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I don't need google to know muscle is muscle. Maybe you should follow your own advice :yawn:
  • BombshellPhoenix
    Options

From the looks of it, you have been at this for some time, working on your lift weight. Don't you think tolerances to those weights has come to play? You didn't go right from one 35% extreme to 17% overnight by immediately lifting heavy with low reps, correct? Apparently op is still trying to lose weight...not just gain muscle. Therefore I see you point, but I think you aren't exactly seeing the OP's point. He isn't going to go right to enermous amount of heavy lifting while he is still trying to shed. Surely the concern is having muscle form or bulge under fat. Therefore the mix of lower weight to begin higher reps is still the way to go when initially incorporating the lift to a cardio routine for overall weight loss and muscle building. Thanks.

I started at 170 lbs and lifted heavy and low reps the entire time. This didn't make a difference on whether or not I lost body fat and got "leaner"

I think you're giving confusing information that isn't true. Losing fat can be done by a calorie deficit. Lifting weights helps retain current muscle in a deficit, not build it. You cannot build muscle in a deficit. Noobs to strength training have a tiny window for SMALL gains but that ends fairly quickly and is not a significant amount. You can gain quite a bit of strength from current muscle without adding anything. This is what I did for 9 months of my lifting.

Also, I started with just the bar and progressively added weight as the months went on and I got stronger. The idea is to continue to challenge yourself.

Heavy is relative to the individual. When I started out, 45 lbs was a lot to me. Now, not so much. See my point?
  • BombshellPhoenix
    Options
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Google. Here is a link to get you started: http://themusclediary.com/lean-muscle-vs-bulky-muscle/

*sigh* No. It's sarcoplasmic hypertrophy vs myofibriller hypertrophy.
    https://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/38-articles/52-why-all-muscle-was-not-created-equal.html

The difference between bulky vs lean is almost always body fat.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!