Walking only

Options
I am wanting to know if anyone only walked for thier exercise and lost alot of weight. Is walking a slower process for weight loss or is it about the same as other exercise.

Replies

• mommyofjan
    mommyofjan Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've lost 15 lbs with walking on a treadmill and adjusting my calorie intake. I started this spring. I've been happy with my weight loss so far. I only have 5 left to lose (which seem the most difficult)
  • jelkins2000
    jelkins2000 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think you can loose with just walking, but don't get too comfortable. After a while speed up or adjust your incline so your body doesn't become to adjusted to the routine.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Losing weight comes with a calorie deficit. Walking will only make that deficit larger. So yes, you can lose weight by just walking as long as you are eating with a calorie deficit.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 30lbs doing no exercise. It's all about the calorie deficit. If you can create an adequate deficit to lose what you want to each week without upping your activity level, feel free.
  • CARTC
    CARTC Posts: 2
    Options
    I started my journey walking only. I did amp up to a run, but due to a hamstring pull am back to walking. I don't just walk I Nordic Walk. By adding the poles for the same walk, you can get up to 40% more calorie burn for what feels like the same effort. In all I have lost over 200lbs. I believe in walking and I think it is a great way for everyone to get active and fit. :happy:
  • AmZam05
    AmZam05 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Walking is a common exercise choice for me. I walk on my lunch break every day. I sprinkle in weight training/biking/weighted aerobics because it's also important to maintain your muscle so you don't lose more than you have to, but I've lost 35 pounds with walking being my most common exercise. You should continue to increase your speed or incline though because as you lose weight you will burn less calories doing the same thing, so you need to ramp it up to maintain that burn.

But like other said, remember it's about a deficit, and not necessarily how you get to that deficit.
  • marilandica
    marilandica Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Walking is great. I've lost over 100 lbs and walking and hiking are my primary forms of exercise. Mind you, when I say that I "walk" I'm not talking about a casual amble. I walk at least five days a week, usually six, and do 5 miles in about 67 minutes each day. I prefer to walk outdoors, but sometimes walk on a treadmill where I add a few degrees of incline. What I do is often referred to as fitness walking. The Nordic walking a poster mentioned above is another form of fitness walking.

Look, when you're trying to lose weight and improve your overall health and fitness, what's important is that you do SOMETHING that isn't sitting on the couch eating potato chips. So, take a walk! It's a good thing.
  • samanthaxb
    samanthaxb Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Walking is a common exercise choice for me. I walk on my lunch break every day. I sprinkle in weight training/biking/weighted aerobics because it's also important to maintain your muscle so you don't lose more than you have to, but I've lost 35 pounds with walking being my most common exercise. You should continue to increase your speed or incline though because as you lose weight you will burn less calories doing the same thing, so you need to ramp it up to maintain that burn.

But like other said, remember it's about a deficit, and not necessarily how you get to that deficit.

I also walk during my lunch break. It's a great time to get out and enjoy yourself before the last few hours of work! I think of it as excercise and a "reset" button.
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    A few years back I lost a significant amount of weight, almost 70 lbs, by watching my diet and walking as my only exercise. This time around I started with walking only, but eventually started running as a personal challenge. Walking is great exercise, enjoy it!
  • xcursumxperficiox
    Options
    So far I've lost 25 kilos (55 pounds) by walking (and counting my calories, of course). I started with a walk around the block, which became longer, then adding poles (Nordic walking). Now I've bought weights to fasten around my ankles to amp up the resistance. I can't run because of a wonky hip and knee, so walking really is the best exercise for me.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    So far I've lost 25 kilos (55 pounds) by walking (and counting my calories, of course). I started with a walk around the block, which became longer, then adding poles (Nordic walking). Now I've bought weights to fasten around my ankles to amp up the resistance. I can't run because of a wonky hip and knee, so walking really is the best exercise for me.

Ankle weights are kind of scary.....especially with joint issues. A weighted vest would at least distribute the weight more evenly...even that's is questionable for you.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/fitness/expert-answers/ankle-weights/faq-20058222
  • xcursumxperficiox
    Options

Ankle weights are kind of scary.....especially with joint issues. A weighted vest would at least distribute the weight more evenly...even that's is questionable for you.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/fitness/expert-answers/ankle-weights/faq-20058222

Thank you! I will look it up :)
  • AndyPGonzalez
    AndyPGonzalez Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I just went on an hour walk and according to my HRM, I burned 500 calories
  • mrslstage
    mrslstage Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Losing weight comes with a calorie deficit. Walking will only make that deficit larger. So yes, you can lose weight by just walking as long as you are eating with a calorie deficit.

This!
    I've lost all of my weight so far with calorie deficit/walking. I just started to add running with it a week ago,
  • jessiemjporter
    jessiemjporter Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    i lost 29lbs from 207-178 by watching what i ate and walking for an hour about 3/4 times a week :) it was great and i felt so much healthier and physically lighter ^^
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 lbs by walking and lowering portion size.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is mostly about eating at a calorie deficit. I lost 90# before I even began walking more. Hiking and walking is my preferred form of exercise. I use ankle and wrist weights now, and mostly walk in our woods up and down steep hills. My 2014 goal is to get between 18,000 and 20,000 steps per day on my fit bit. So far, so good, and I have lost over 160# and have been maintaining for one year @ 130# (give or take 5#). So, yes, it works for me.